Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Razorwing's "Apple Orange Trees"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The old appletree made by crazyboy has always bugged me because it uses untextured, brightly red apples that makes me think more of a christmas tree than an appletree. When I ran into a great apple mesh and texture on the Morrowind Council of Japan website ("Extra Food ver 0.02") I thought I'd edit the appletree, and here's the result. I also retextured the trunk, which I think used a Bethesda texture, using a freeware texture from the internet.

I took the liberty of including the apple and orange fruits created by Morrowind Council of Japan as especially the apple is much, much better than the one Lady Eternity made (which we're currently using). If there's time, I would love to see all the apple and orange references in the main esp switched to this one, but as it's a new mesh I would understand if that would be too much work.

What do you guys think?

royalblue[/hr]
The following is from the readme I included:
Adds two appletree containers, which contains a random number of apples, as well as an orange. The apples and oranges are Alchemy items, and equivalent to a Bargain potion of restore fatigue. This is a modders resource and not of interest to players.

The esp adds two trees and an apple to Silgrad Tower, located northeast of Reich Parkeep, so they can be seen quickly.

Credits:
Meshes\sltw_rw_appletree1.nif
Meshes\sltw_rw_appletree2.nif
created by crazyboy
(#2 was edited by Razorwing to make the trunk is straighter)

Meshes\sltw_rw_apple.nif
Meshes\sltw_rw_orange.nif
Textures\sltw_rw_Apple.dds
Textures\sltw_rw_Orange.dds
created by Morrowind Council of Japan.

Textures\leafy2.dds
created by NoRemorse

Textures\sltw_rw_apple_trunk.dds
General freeware texture from 3dmd.net.

Icons\sltw_rw_apple_icon.dds
Icons\sltw_rw_orange_icon.dds
created by Razorwing
These are high quality. And I think that we could use the fruits because they look great.
The tree on the other hand... This is of decent quality I think, but I never did like the leaves, not even for Morrowind. The trees used in Oblivion will be of suck an extreme quality that we will have to make a new one to match it. Each leaf is seen and moves, the trees sway with the wind... these are just a few of the things that we'd need to make applicable to any trees that we make.
Same goes with the black rose, it shouldn't be wind resistant.
Excellent work, my friend. :applause:

I can understand why you'd like to have them in our mod, though I don't want to step on LadyE's toes. Keep in mind that her models were made almost three years ago and among the first things she released as far as I know.

I will take the time and try it out what happens, if I replace the old fruits with yours. I have a certain feeling that soem fruit bowls and fruit heaps might look strange, but we'll see.

Greetings

Quentin
Quentin Fortune: Thanks Smile Texturing the trunk today worked a lot better than texturing the stem of the black rose yesterday, and I think the trunk came out looking rather decent.

I didn't mean to critisize Lady E's work but the mesh and texture made by Morrowind Council of Japan does look much better I think. But I wouldn't mind if we held on to the MCOJ apple for Silgrad Tower: Oblivion either, especially with the problems of replacing them in our current world. I'm fairly sure Oblivion will have apples from the start, but we could always make it out to be a local variety. Variation is always good I think, keeps the game fresh.

noremorse: I don't know how windy Oklahoma is, but over here it's quite common to see trees that aren't moving. So let's say this tree moves sometimes, particularly when the player isn't looking.
:check: :lmao:
Joking aside though, why don't you match my model posts with your own posts of models you deem worthy? Then I might start taking your critisizm seriously.
So ... I finally found the time to check out the two new fruit meshes and though they both look pretty good we won't be able to replace the existing ones.

Have a look at the two screenies, No. 1 shows LadyE's meshes while the second one displays what happened after a <Search & Replace> ... and I'm not going to rearrange 400+ apples and oranges. :dunce:

And one other thing that came to my mind: from certain angles the apple looks like a red paprika. Big Grin So if we use it, we might work a bit on that one to give it a rounder form, but that's a purely personal impression.

But I'm sure both fruits will make a great addition for Oblivion. :goodjob:

Greetings

Quentin

P.S.: Is the new CS out yet??? :lmao:
Hehe, looks like little filthy leprechauns have attacked Silgrad and flipped over all the fruit bowls :lmao:

I agree of course. Seeing the apple in-game it does look more like a paprika or tomato of some sort too, so... we'll see what Oblivion has in regards to those two models, I think. I still kindof like the tree tho Smile
Oblvion should make those models of the fruit look much better, with the new texture effects it supports and all.

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing Joking aside though, why don't you match my model posts with your own posts of models you deem worthy? Then I might start taking your critisizm seriously.
Thanks, but I am serious. I don't think I have to post somebody else's models I deem worthy just to have a say-so.:evil:

I honestly do not think that the tree is up to par with Oblivion's models. I didn't like the tree much when it came out for Morrowind either, as it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the original tree. Not in a good way I don't think. The leaves are the only part of my problem with it. They are just a bunch of wicked rectangles with a streched texture covering it. They're not even the right shape.

Am I honestly the only one that sees a problem with this:
I suggest that we wait with deciding which models should be used in Oblivion until the game actually comes out. We have no idea how they would look in-game right now...
For those who wonder:

I took the liberty and moved the part that was not about the trees and fruits to another place.

Greetings

Quentin
Speaking of apples and oranges the best meshes and textures for some i saw were in the blades house on morrowind summit not sure where he got them from maybey he made them but im sure if he did he wouldent mind
Pages: 1 2