Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Modeling Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a few questions about modeling.
1. Approximately, how big is one unit in Oblivion?
2. In 3d max 8, how can I physically edit a mesh, if I want to delete a face, how would I do that?

I have a few more, I just can't remember them right now.
1. One point in Oblivion/Morrowind equals one point in 3D Studio Max, and apparantly in Blender as well. If you make a model exactly 256 points wide it will snap to a grid of 256 and any power of 2 below.

2. Select it, right-click and chose "Convert to editable mesh", then unroll the Editable mesh modifier, highlight the face option, and click on the face you want to modify/delete.
I think for #1 he was asking how large a unit is, like in terms of feet or some other normal measure.
I'm pretty sure 128 = the height of a person, but i'm not sure on that at all, so someone should give a proper answer
Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
I think for #1 he was asking how large a unit is, like in terms of feet or some other normal measure.
I'm pretty sure 128 = the height of a person, but i'm not sure on that at all, so someone should give a proper answer

Oh, ok.

Yes 128 is equal to the average height of an NPC.
64 = waist
32 = knee
256 = plenty of room to run about an interior in, with space for chandeliers or other roof fittings.
Alright, another question (thanks for answering the other ones, btw).
How would I inver faces in 3d max or nifscope? Like how all the house and interiors in OB have the actual faces you see on the inside, and you can see through them outside.

Another Q. How can I add stuff over in nifscope? Because I'm pretty sure I did it right, it looks right in the nif scope window, but the only thing in the CS is the original, unaltered model.
Quote:Originally posted by WhiteWizard
Another Q. How can I add stuff over in nifscope? Because I'm pretty sure I did it right, it looks right in the nif scope window, but the only thing in the CS is the original, unaltered model.
Take a look at step 5 of this tuorial. Especially pay attention to this part in:
Quote:Paste your branch. (Right click any block, Block>Paste Branch). Now, go to NiNode near the top. Expand Children. Change the number under Value to the number of the block you just pasted. Click the old mesh in the viewport, go to the block highlighted, right click, Block>Remove.

I'm not sure if all the details are stated in that tutorial, but I think it will work if done right.
Quote:Originally posted by Psychotic
Quote:Paste your branch. (Right click any block, Block>Paste Branch). Now, go to NiNode near the top. Expand Children. Change the number under Value to the number of the block you just pasted. Click the old mesh in the viewport, go to the block highlighted, right click, Block>Remove.
Alright, I tried that and now only the added part is showing up.
I'm pretty sure there was a tutorial on the faq board about it, but I can't find it.
Quote:Originally posted by WhiteWizard
Alright, another question (thanks for answering the other ones, btw).
How would I inver faces in 3d max or nifscope? Like how all the house and interiors in OB have the actual faces you see on the inside, and you can see through them outside.

1. Select the desired parts of the mesh in 3D Studio Max and then add a Normal modifier. The normal setting determines which side of a face shows the surface.

2. Check out the modelling & texturing tuts on the CS Wiki, especially this:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/ind...Step_Guide