Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: How do I create a texture/skin/etc from scratch ?...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Noobish question I know...but I wanna learn...can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial or guide that can teach me the basics ?...
This is not even a stupid question.

I have the same problem. I?m just a beginning modder, for 6 months now.
And I?m not even coming close to release a good and complied mod.

My problem is as follows: All the DDS textures created by my self
cant be imported in the game.

Adobe Photoshop = to create a DDS texture.

3DSMax8 = to texture NIF models.

TES.con.set = to import NIF models in game - sometimes errors occur.

TES4Oblivion = the NIF models do not show any of my textures.

So now my question: What are the DDS texture specifications for the
In game models and icons. Adobe Photoshop gives me a lot to those from.
DDS needs to be a power of 2 (ea, 256X256 512X512, 256x512 and so on)
right you are baffling me...Sad...in i think ill leave it and just use what people make and not make what people use...thanks anyway...

**the reason for this is that I cant use photoshop. I know ubernoob Sad**
alexcain: There's a few on the CS Wiki, but they deal with texturing for Oblivion rather than texturing in general so I don't know if that was what you were looking for.

Sjors Boomschors: You didn't say exactly how the game reacts so I don't know exactly how to answer you.
- Does the model look bright pink? If so it's because the texture file isn't where the nif thinks it should be; either the file paths in the nif is wrong, or the texture file is missing.
- Does the texture look black? If so it could be because the color map lacks mip-maps. Resave it with mip-maps, preferrably from a source file rather than resaving the same dds if you can. (You won't notice the mip-map problem until you add a normal map btw)
- Does the model look colored rather than texturemapped? If so it could be because you didn't add a texture map to the model. But IIRC a complete lack of texture maps will make the CS crash when you try to place the model in the world.

If nothing of what I mentioned works, please describe exactly what happens and post a few screenshots and, if you're willing, upload the nif, texture and max scene so it can be investigated.
Sjors Boomschors

LINK

This very helpful tutorial will tell you everything you need to know about Choosing the right DXTC compression algorithm.
Quote:Originally posted by Sjors Boomschors
This is not even a stupid question.

I have the same problem. I?m just a beginning modder, for 6 months now.
And I?m not even coming close to release a good and complied mod.

My problem is as follows: All the DDS textures created by my self
cant be imported in the game.

Adobe Photoshop = to create a DDS texture.

3DSMax8 = to texture NIF models.

TES.con.set = to import NIF models in game - sometimes errors occur.

TES4Oblivion = the NIF models do not show any of my textures.

So now my question: What are the DDS texture specifications for the
In game models and icons. Adobe Photoshop gives me a lot to those from.
rather vague on the details.

for a a usual color texture use a dxt1 compression if it doesn't require any alpha transparency. if it does then a dxt5 will do it.

for the normal maps save as a dxt5.

have generate mipmaps ticked.

thats about it. pretty simple eh?