Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Swords, katanas, etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Originally posted by Kodama
Sigh... I just typed a large post and then I decided to click on the third link you posted, then everything I typed was gone :eek:

Anyway, Katana are very well suited for thrusting, and not all katana have the same amount of curvature.
For example, katana of the kanbun period have very little curve, here is a good example: http://www.aoi-art.com/sword/katana/05231.html It's nearly straight and it's easy to thrust with a blade like this one.
When I said that the jian is one of the bad types, I was referring to it's mediocre disign, not how well the old jian are forged when compared to any badly made mass produced dao of later periods.
In fact, I was thinking about the tang dao when I compared it to other swords (i probably should have been a bit more clear about that).

Thanks for the internet links, the first one is very interesting, and the third shows something about the percentage of tin used in the blades, thanks again :goodjob:
I have seen the youtube video before but it's just not impressive, many types of swords can do that, the real test comes with harder materials.
It's funny how many people say that cutting a mat is like cutting through flesh and bone, I have seen many types of sword fail to cut through bone (with flesh) when they did cut through the mat as shown on the video.
I have recently seen a documentary on tv (maybe it was on the national geographic channel) about asian weapons including the jian and katana being tested on a human torso made of ballistic gell, have you seen that show?
The weapons involved are all modern, but it was funny to see the results of the test, a floppy dao had a very bad cutting result Big Grin

About the exported Japanese swords, this happened during the muromachi period, over 100.000 swords were exported to China, I would call that a huge amount of swords :yes:

About western and middle eastern swords (pattern welded or otherwise), I am very familliar with them, I have some antiques =)
And yeah, some of them are very good.

About the "lesser" samurai, they did have very decent armor.
For example: the yukinoshita-do (also known as sendai-do) that the date clan used for all it's warriors is bullet proof, here is an example of yukinoshita do with bullet dents: http://www.toraba.com/gusoku-0701-0492.htm
However, you are completely right about the ashigaru, they could not afford any armor at all... that's why they got loan armor provided by their lord Big Grin
And the cuirasses the ashigaru used were of a decent and life saving quality, as I said before, the ashigaru weapons are not very good.
The swords and other weapons of the lesser saurai are often of normal quality, but bad and good swords are not unheard of.

The sword picture I showed is an O-dachi, although it also goes by other names.
"O" means bigg, dachi = tachi, so it makes sense that it reminds you of tachi, but tachi are shorter.

Intranetusa, if you wish to talk about swords without getting off topic, we have a Nihonto thread somewhere in the off topic section of the Akavir forums, feel free to continue the conversation there if you want to, you can also talk about Chinese weapons there.

ON TOPIC: here are some more Odachi: http://japantrip.tripod.com/nodachi/odachi_gallery.html

"Sigh... I just typed a large post and then I decided to click on the third link you posted, then everything I typed was gone :eek: "

Sad

"I have recently seen a documentary on tv (maybe it was on the national geographic channel) about asian weapons including the jian and katana being tested on a human torso made of ballistic gell, have you seen that show? The weapons involved are all modern, but it was funny to see the results of the test, a floppy dao had a very bad cutting result
"

Was it National Geographic's Fight science? On it, they had some retarded guy who didn't know kendo (he was some random Australian dude who specialized in Tae Kwan Do) using a katana like a butcher's knife and hacking away at a ballistic gel figurine. >_<

I wouldn't be suprised if they were retarded enough to think the fragile/floppy "movie version" of the dao was actually used for fighting...

"It's funny how many people say that cutting a mat is like cutting through flesh and bone, I have seen many types of sword fail to cut through bone (with flesh) when they did cut through the mat as shown on the video."

They actually got several swordsmen to say this on the history channel (during a documentary on Tom Cruise's movie, Last Samurai). Well, that just shows how much those people know >_<

"When I said that the jian is one of the bad types, I was referring to it's mediocre disign, not how well the old jian are forged when compared to any badly made mass produced dao of later periods. In fact, I was thinking about the tang dao when I compared it to other swords (i probably should have been a bit more clear about that)."

Indeed ...the jian is just a simple straight sword, similar to European models. (except many versions are thinner for stabbing...rapier like).
The Tang Dao as in the straight, one edged "saber-jian" weapon:
http://thomaschen.freewebspace.com/custom.html
or are you refering to the larger dao-saber versions seen in that "overrated" House of Flying Daggers" movie?

"Thanks for the internet links, the first one is very interesting, and the third shows something about the percentage of tin used in the blades, thanks again :goodjob:"

np, it's an interesting site. They have various swords of bronze, iron, steel, etc. I was suprised to see that the bronze swords were in almost perfect condition after 2300 years while the steel & iron swords rusted into almost nothing...

"About the exported Japanese swords, this happened during the muromachi period, over 100.000 swords were exported to China, I would call that a huge amount of swords :yes:"

Muromachi as in the time of the Ming dynasty? You must be refering to the wo-do swords that were exported...then yes you're correct. Smile

Just looked over armors for both sides during the Imjin war, and the Ming/Korean side had various armors such as crosshatched & lamellar metals (ie brass) that also could stop arquebuse rounds.

The lesser samurai armor looks pretty interesting. They may not be bullet proof in the modern sense (of course, modern pistol and rifle ammo would penetrate) but it's interesting to see the curiass plates deflect musket ball fire. Smile

""I have recently seen a documentary on tv (maybe it was on the national geographic channel) about asian weapons including the jian and katana being tested on a human torso made of ballistic gell, have you seen that show? The weapons involved are all modern, but it was funny to see the results of the test, a floppy dao had a very bad cutting result
""

I just went over it on youtube. They didn't test their floppy "ceremonial" dao on the ballistic gel. They did however, use an Australian with no sword skill use a katana to hack away at the ballistic gel like an axe.
Here is the link - Natl Geographic really screwed up this series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhE-PnTqryc
I think your links are broke, they are not working for me.
The straight single edged sword is wat i mean, the ancestor of the Japanese sword, i perfer single edged swords because they are often a bit thicker and better against armor (light armor, nothing is good against heavy plate armor).

"National Geographic's Fight science" Yeah that's the one :yes:
The Australian guy was a bit disturbing to watch :lmao:
The fighting sticks were tested properly though, the results show that you're better of wielding a butter knife Tongue
When the long staff broke, i was not surprised, but i think the guy wielding it was (if i remember correctly), i think it's funny how some people are very confident that they can defeat a swordsman with their sticks :eek:

The last samurai is my favorite movie =)...... NOT! Big Grin that movie is just wrong, the armors are based on much older armors, the historic events are not correct, they make it look as if the imperial army consists of peasants who have never heard of guns before (the imperial army consisted of samurai, most of them of the Shimazu clan from Satsuma) it's all wrong, the samurai did not even have modern rifles in the movie but the historical last samurai and his army did use them.
The last samurai... BLECH! :lmao:
A documentary about that movie probably says nothing about anything i bet, something like: bla bla bla Tom Cruise, bla bla bla Tom Cruise, bla bla bla, the end Wink
Big Grin

I'm not surprised about the bronze swords being in good shape, bronze only oxidizes on it's surface.
I have once seen an episode of "time team" on the discovery channel where they excavated a sword of at least 1500 jears old (late Roman, or something like that), and this Brittish weapons expert said it was a fantastic find.
But guess what... i said: "it's a fake, you idiots!", because the leather and wood parts of the weapon were more or less gone, but the tang of the blade was fine, considering the fact that the sword was found in a layer of clay in a place with boggs, it should have been the other way around (tang gone, the blade in a very very very bad state, and the leather and wood parts should have been ok).
Later they found barbed wire and a modern power cable just under where the sword was found, there were also severall other fake artefacts, but anway, that shows what some professors know Big Grin

The Muromachi period, that's from 1336AD to 1568AD, (note that 1336 to 1392 is actually the Yoshino period, but a rivaling imperial court won and erased the true imperial court from history, making the Yoshino period part of the Muromachi period, the Yoshino period is better known as the Nambokucho period).
I, as do many historians, prefer to say that the Muromachi period started in 1392.

Do you happen to know a lot about Chinese armors?
I would like to learn something about them, they have eluded me for far to long.
I have seen Chinese and korean armors, but i don't know the names for the different types.
Maybe we could use the types and their names for the Akavir mod.

EDIT in response to your last post: Did they only test the Japanese sword? I must have been dreaming or something Tongue
What's up with the Australian guy shouting HADSSS!!! all the time, i just can't take that guy seriously :lmao:
His moves do seem familliar somehow ?( ...... Wow, DUDE! Did he just throw his sword into the air :eek:
Well, I'm a member of a couple of intersting Asian history forums - mainly
http://www.chinahistoryforum.com & http://forums.samurai-archives.com/index.php

Here are some links to 15th-17th century Ming armors (not sure about the Korean armor though) and
given descriptions by members of the china history forums:
The writing script is in Chinese, which I can't read... Sad

"By Killer Katanas, CHF:
http://members.aol.com/bbradford1973/imjin1
This first armor was for the MIng Southern troops. It is made of brass and is encased in wood or leather clothing. This gave good resistance when shot at by Japanese arquebuses. The original color was blue edged in red, but during the Imjin War it was olive green. The hat was worn withourt a horshair plume, but if the person had rank it was a white tuff. Officers wore a red tuff.

http://members.aol.com/bbradford1973/imjin2
This second armor was worn by Ming Southern troops that were cavalry or generals. It was designed like the armor above and came in many colors. It was difficult to move in.

http://members.aol.com/bbradford1973/imjin3
This armor was worn by Ming Northern troops and is typical of the brigandine armor seen near the end of the Ming period. It was worn by the Ming cavalry and is olive green for regulars and black and white for officers

http://members.aol.com/bbradford1973/imjin4
This scale armor was used by volunteers and irregular cavalry. Color is dark brown.

http://members.aol.com/bbradford1973/imjin5
This hat was worn by Ming Southern troops and is blue with a red half disk and colored tuff. The color of the tuff symbolized rank and was (in order of rank from highest to lowest) red, blue, white, olive green, brown."

I'll post some links to pics of Zhou-Qin/Han/Tang dynasty armors if I find any...they probably look better
I stopped watching any movie with Cruise in it several years ago. Anyone who participates in a phony religion that claims ADHD isn't real qualifies as an idiot.
Thanks for the links Intranetusa :goodjob:

I have known about the samurai archives forum for a long time, they showed a picture of my sword there =) and i have seen it on some Nihon-to forums too, my sword is famous Big Grin

The Chinese history forum is very interesting.

I have seen some more parts of "fight science" on youtube, i got the impression some things are missing.
Almost nothing was shown about the Chinese swords, i have not seen all parts yet, but i get the feeling i won't get to see the chinese swords Sad
About the Australian guy's sword style, maybe it's shinobi iai Confusedhrug:
Quote:Thanks for the links Intranetusa
Big Grin

Quote:I have known about the samurai archives forum for a long time, they showed a picture of my sword there and I have seen it on some Nihon-to forums too, my sword is famous

Yes, a while back, I believe a couple of members tried to connect the two forums...don't think it worked out.

I'm sure the Australian guy is trained in the arts of bullshitO.
Quote:Originally posted by Intranetusa
Oh man I saw that documentary a while ago and when that Australian guy started using the katana like an axe I was *deeply* disturbed (as anyone who practices iaido/kendo would be). I can't believe he actually threw the sword in the air! :eek: The only thing that will teach you to use a katana like that is bad anime. Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by Psychotic
Quote:Originally posted by Intranetusa
Oh man I saw that documentary a while ago and when that Australian guy started using the katana like an axe I was *deeply* disturbed (as anyone who practices iaido/kendo would be). I can't believe he actually threw the sword in the air! :eek: The only thing that will teach you to use a katana like that is bad anime. Rolleyes

:lmao: