Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Chimeri/Velothi Tower of Silgrad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I've been thinking about the Tower of Silgrad on and off, and trying to build one that looks believable as being Redoran might prove difficult -- at least I can't come up with a good idea for a Redoran tower. So the idea crossed my mind, couldn't we just say it was built either by the Chimer (Dunmer before they became Dunmer) or by the Velothi culture (the first Dunmer culture, I think... pre-Great Houses) ? The first might be the best, as no one knows what it looks like - so one could find a good freeware tower model on the net and tweak it for our purposes.

Any ideas or suggestions?
If I am not mistaken, the Chimer are the ancestral race of the Dunmer. Veloth was the leader of a group of Chimer that came to Morrowind to settle. If this is so, then a Chimer architecture would be similar to Velothi architecture (but probably not identical).

Idea 1: Find a model of a tower that has a look similar to the round dome / overhanging arched doorway / colored glass look of Velothi models in MW. Then retexture that new model with Velothi textures. So the tower is unique in its size and shape, but the look appears to be early Velothi.

Idea 2: Find a unique tower that is daunting and different. The town is named Silgrad Tower, implying that the tower was there first. So the tower is an earlier style than the surrounding town. This we could possibly claim as a Chimer structure...

Ben
Oops. It's quite possible that Chimer architecture is velothi. Somehow I had gotten the impression that velothi was the original Dunmer culture, during the first period after their transformation. With that in mind I'll try and create a model that gives the impression of being more ancient than normal velothi, but without looking too simplistic.
In-game, notice Vivec and Almalexia... they are both Chimer from the time of the changing... I think that is why Vivec is half and half.

I look forward to seeing your ideas!

Ben
Why not have Veet design something for us? Or give him a sketch of what we might like to have as the Silgrad Tower and let him work him work his magic?

Ben
Quote:Originally posted by Ben Vagara
Why not have Veet design something for us? Or give him a sketch of what we might like to have as the Silgrad Tower and let him work him work his magic?

Ben

I responded in the other thread.
I've started working on the Tower and thought I'd post some early drafts. I've mostly been working on the lower part of it, so take the third screenshot with a grain of salt. It might seem high, but it's really not (the ancient Egyptians built higher structures than that six thousand years ago).

Thoughts and opinions? Suggestions?
pretty good... though I don't think the Velothi were too fond of huge staircases... at least you don't see many... most of their architexture is plan, simple, and squat.... short-ish.... although Vivec city is like an example of what a Velothi fort-villiage might be... maybe....
KuKulzA: Somehow the length of the staircases doesn't strike me as a central theme of Velothi design.

Everyone: Should I scrap what I made and start over?
Definitely not. I like what I see and the staircase is fine by me.

The Velothi might not use long staircases often, but

a) they use quite some staircases in their buildings and I assume that

b) they would use an appropriate staircase for a building of such prominence.

I say, carry on. =)

Greetings

Quentin
Pages: 1 2 3 4