Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: [Sound Claim] plucked metal bars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:When the Bosmer were nearly upon the shelter, one of the Khajiit began playing on a native instrument of plucked metal bars.
Now how this would sound I wouldn't know(music isn't something I'm good at) but Renrijra Krin questline will need this...

I don't see any other claims here so I won't care to give priority.
*grab spade and starts digging up old threads*

"plucked metal bars"? - reminds me of a primitive glockenspiel which is played with claws instead of a stick, gives a kind of plucking motion as the nails taps the bars. Especially if it was a kind of harp shape.

Edd

P.S. I'm interested in this as I'm quite musical, might try and make one Tongue or see if I can get a metallic sound from my guitar... not sure about recording though :/ This is not a definite claim.
Quote:Originally posted by llamaranger
P.S. I'm interested in this as I'm quite musical, might try and make one Tongue or see if I can get a metallic sound from my guitar... not sure about recording though :/ This is not a definite claim.

Advice for recording:

If you have an electric (or an acoustic-electric) guitar, you can connect it directly to a computer with a quarter-inch to 8th-inch adapter. It sounds really really clean.

If not, just find a good microphone I guess.
right, i think I've identified this desriptions modern day equivalent - the kalimba. Luckily enough they seem like simple enough instruments, which means, I'll either buy a cheap one at the local music store or try and make one out of a wooden box and some scrap metal (which may work better for the purposes of this, as it will probably give a rattly slightly out of tune sound, more authentic Tongue). Still a little worried about the recording, not sure if I can bring myself to fork out the cash for a good microphone. I'll have to see how my current one does... I'm still not claiming, this for the record Tongue

Edd
Krisi! Are you there? Direction is needed! In the Krin quests what is this instrument actually going to be used for?

Hear it here.

I think that that sounds a little too melodic and may not be appropriate. I can try and make a simpler, more robust one for a less polshed sound or go with my other ideas.

1. construct a harp but use bits of a windchime instead of strings (im going to buy a windchime and try this anyway, but your opinion is appreciated)

2. Switch down all the tone on my guitar (gives very harsh sound), and improvise something in G (or possibly A) minor pentatonic (most common Egyptian scale, if research proves correct).

However, the use of this sound is important before I try and write anything down 'caue I need to know what atmosphere it is supposed to convey. In the passage you quoted it is used as an alarm, but as this is Krin can I assume it will be used in the "drunken night" bit as well?

Edd
Drunken night.. sure thing.. Thought that quest isn't even barely fleshed out yet..

As for Introduction.. its supposed to be played as a signal that the player isn't supposed to leave yet(their afraid he might follow) I suppose its fading away as the Renrijras move longer and longer away. It might just be a song the Renrij playing know from before, but whatever it is it shouldn't be to intruding..(preferably that is)
(in case it helps the location as you probably know is the border(forest/jungle) of Elsweyr and Cyrodiil))

Going back to the drunken night.. well I doubt any of the Renrijs will be in much shape to play properly.. but the drunk night will probably be crazy, with moon sugar, skooma, dance(hopefully), some few not drunk who is survivalists and have seen too much to dance(they'll stay out of the party and will probably not be in the mood for to much small talk).
right, I thik I'm gonna just stick to guitar (but ill try that windchime thing later in the week and see how it goes). At the moment I've got the beginnings of something. It's very cyclical, with one or two phrases repeated but with alternate versions of those phrases to add variety. At the moment this seems to lend itself to a battle song, or a warning signal.

Another idea - maybe just two or three notes, wavering between them to sound like a musical rattlesnake? (sorry, best way to describe it)

Edd
Sure, why not.. I've got almost no idea how either would sound...
I wonder if the sound of the plucked metal bars would be very different if a claw was used to pluck it?
good news people! I found a kalimba really cheap.
its only got 6notes though which has positives (its somewhat limited in melodic complexity so a tune will be simple to write) and negtives (its somewhat limited in melodic complexity so the tune will be simple).

Expect something (probably unfinished and badly recorded) in the next few days.

Edd
Pages: 1 2