Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Trouble with collision exporting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was trying to modify the file farmstable01.nif, but I had trouble with the collision exporter. So I tried to export collision from the original file and the problem was still there. Basically, when I export collision, this is what I get in nifskope.

[Image: clipboard05.jpg]

You see all those triangles in excess? I don't know why they come up, if I export the mesh with no collision it works. I have version 7 of 3dsmax and version 0.2.9 of the plugins and already had success in exporting collision meshes, so I don't know why this time it doesn't work.

When I load the mesh in game, the game doesn't crash but it slows down incredibly when I go under the hut.

Can somebody help me?
Post up the max scene and the nif (putfile.com works well), and then I might be able to pinpoint the problem.
Thanks, I've posted a zip file on my site:

http://www.matefisica.it/stable.zip
Ok, I think I get it now. Here's my edit.

What you need to do in order to import collision is to open up the nif in NifSkope, go to "Spells > .OBJ > Export Multi", and then save the file somewhere on your computer.

Now open the model in 3D Studio Max, go to "File > Import...", then locate the .obj file you exported and doubleclick it. Untick all the groups not called collision in the textbox labeled 'Select groups to import' and then click the Ok button. Now you can set up the imported model as a collision mesh on the NifProps rollout just like you would usually do, and then it's just a matter of exporting the model.

However you won't be able to take advantage of Bethesda's collision techniques if you do it that way. The collision will be less optimized in terms of FPS. The facecount is pretty big on the stable's collision model too, so I would advise you to go the other way around. Instead of importing the collision mesh and re-exporting the model, I would suggest exporting your model without collision and then piggying it on Bethesda's nif. So you'd get to keep their optimized collision but the model would look like yours.

It's too complex to explain how to do that in a forum post, but I can recommend this tutorial, which goes over the basics of piggying models. I didn't understand it myself before I read that tutorial. But to save you some time I hooked it up (download link). I didn't test it but I think it'll work.
Thanks a lot, you're always a great help! That tutorial is excellent. Your file works, but I need to remove a couple of wood posts in the model, but now with your suggestions and the tutorial I think I'll have no more problems.
Thanks again.
Quote:Originally posted by Deathless Aphrodite
Thanks a lot, you're always a great help! That tutorial is excellent. Your file works, but I need to remove a couple of wood posts in the model, but now with your suggestions and the tutorial I think I'll have no more problems.
Thanks again.

I'm glad I could help. =)