Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: I love it, but I hate it as much
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok... I'm new here, I've downloaded the mod 3 days ago.
I'm using all this mods at the same time:
-carnithus armamentorium
-dark elf heroes faces
-lord of the dragons
-pegas horse ranch
-no glow
-silver khajiit

It seems to work just fine.

I loved the mod, the island is very interesting, the music, the cities... ok, a bit confused with the little thing about a mirror leading nowhere in a tomb with no way out, but the golem rocks.
When I entered Silgard Tower (city) I felt like a kid in a candyshop (or whatever you call it... my native language is Spanish so...). I was too exited!!! I went to the pet shop, the fine weapons shop, the clothier, the missile shop (or whatever... the one with all stuff for marksmen) and I was like really, REALLY amazed, I loved it.

I've left Silgard Tower (island) 10 minutes ago. I didn't enter the jewelry, didn't went in serch of an armorer, and didn't even see the actual TOWER of Silgard...
WHY?!
ok, I must be honest, I hate being cruel, but I belive that when something like this happens, it must be commented.
First, I'd like to say that:
-YES, my pc can run morrowind PERFECTLY
-YES, I've all my drivers up to date
-YES, I do have space in my hard disk
-YES to any other requirement

The problem I had was the lag... the mod is way too OVERLOADED with stuff and mods, I'm not saying I didn't like it, I say that it is TOO MUCH... I was running inside Silgard Tower (city) and the lag was just awful. Lag... I mean I see everything in slow motion, WAY TOO SLOW...
Also, "loading area" is a messege I don't want to see again in all my life. The "loading area" messeges in the mod last... about... 3-5 minutes each sometimes.
But that's not even the half of it... after being in Silgard Tower (island) for let's say... 30 minutes I get "loading area" messeges, 5-8 minutes each EVERY 5 METERS... I start to run and every 5 seconds (more than less) I get a "LOADING AREA"... and I've to wait 5 minutes, to run another 3 meters and get anotherone....
It's like every area is a 5 meters sided square... so any time you move out of it a new area is needed to load... and that takes LOTS of time...
and the time I move... I do it in slowmotion...
sorry, but it is impossible to play like that, it's like an overpopulated server of a mmo.

The mod is great, yes... I do like it.
But I must say that I feel dissapointed with this.
But I'm not stupid.. I haven't seen any complaints like mine in all the forum, so I hope any of you could give me a hand with this and tell me if there's something I should do to make it work properly.

Hope recieving some help asap
I say goodbye.

PD: the mod is great, I said that lots of times I know, but the structure of the map and the cities, and the idea of Silgard Tower (city) with all those mods on it is just great.
... but the lag... and the loading screens... it reminds me to "vampires: bloodlines"
Netroz: I'm glad you like the mod despite the difficulties. It seems to me it's caused by one of three things.
1) Your computer set-up isn't advanced enough to play Silgrad Tower
2) You're playing with too high graphic settings for your system (try tuning them down when playing in Silgrad in that case)
3) Other mods are draining your system (test to play with Silgrad Tower only and see if that helps)

Apart from the huge city, which is heavy on the FPS, there's a whole world in our mod which doesn't always require as much from the computer. Perhaps you'd have fun exploring that, if you can't get the FPS problem solved?

Good luck!
Netroz,

When your game starts to lag, save the game then Reload the Savegame. The reload sequence should free your memory of redundant data files which will be causing the lag, providing you have a decent pc to begin with.

If saving followed by a reload doesn't increase your framerate dramatically, then ideally it is best to upgrade your pc or failing that lower your graphics settings.

You may need to save and reload frequently to keep your framerate up whilst travelling round large densely packed towns like Silgrad, but this is much better and faster than struggling with lag.

Slartibartfast
Ok, I'll try everything u said.
Perhaps it's a ram lack waht's causing it, I was used to 512 but this last week one of the cards of 256 got wasted and I'm running only with 256ram now. Sometimes I forget that. Maybe that's the problem.

I'm not sure but I think that Silgard Tower uses darkelves heroes faces, and as I'm running that plug-in at the same time perhaps that may cause some problems, but I'm not exactly sure if the plugin also affects silgard tower area too.

Today I'll check out all u said and I'll tell how it gone.

I really would like to excuse myself if I've been a little UNnice in my last post but I wrote it after having to spent 40 minutes to leave silgard tower and get to Vvanderfall ... it's no excuse I know. Sorry for the bad mood.
And thanx 4 the quick answer
Quote:Originally posted by Netroz
Ok, I'll try everything u said.
Perhaps it's a ram lack waht's causing it, I was used to 512 but this last week one of the cards of 256 got wasted and I'm running only with 256ram now. Sometimes I forget that. Maybe that's the problem.

I'm not sure but I think that Silgard Tower uses darkelves heroes faces, and as I'm running that plug-in at the same time perhaps that may cause some problems, but I'm not exactly sure if the plugin also affects silgard tower area too.

Today I'll check out all u said and I'll tell how it gone.

I really would like to excuse myself if I've been a little UNnice in my last post but I wrote it after having to spent 40 minutes to leave silgard tower and get to Vvanderfall ... it's no excuse I know. Sorry for the bad mood.
And thanx 4 the quick answer

Yes, low RAM definetely sounds like a plausible cause for long and frequent load times. If Silgrad Tower had conflicted with any other mod you play with (not counting landmass conflicts) you would have gotten an error message. We're pretty good at using unique ID's for things we add, most of the time, but there's still some work to be done in that area.

I hope you'll eventually have fun playing our mod after you get more RAM Smile On a sidenote, watch out about the Mhz frequencies when buying a new card... as a prelude to beefing up for Oblivion I recently bought a single 1 gigabyte (!) 266Mhz card for my current comp without being aware of the importance of Mhz frequencies. Turns out my current comp won't be ideal for Oblivion as I bought it before PCI Express became a standard, and new comps use 400Mhz memory cards... ergo, my card can't be used in the new comp. Oh well.
The two RAM-cards need to be the same I think. So if you're upgrading, keep in mind that you need to buy or a whole new ram-set or buy the same card as before.
He isn't kidding though...

I'm getting absolutely chronic lag constantly, and the game has crashed at least twice because of it... Its mostly the actual area of the town of Silgrad Tower itself, and I've noticed its got worse since I got that robe of concealment.
Now I'm not sure what you'd consider reasonable graphics and what you'd think not.... but when I checked my graphics card against a list at the Elder Scrolls boards for purposes of finding whether it could run Oblivion, it was under the "low end" part of the spectrum, implying it could run but would be at reduced performance. Considering we're only dealing with Morrowind here though, and I don't have nearly as many problems the rest of the time, I can't see why it should be an issue.

I'm also concerned as to why its getting increasingly more laggy the longer I play for. And no, its not the length of time I spend with the game loaded. Even when I reload the game it goes to the same level of lag it was at before. I'm thinking of not loading this plugin up the next time I start a new game because basically.... as nicely designed as it is, it causes too many problems (which to some extent are spilling over into the rest of Morrowind too... yes, the lag).
I do not have problems running the mod, in fact, I do not see diference in walking around on Silgrad or in any other city. What I have problems, are with the dialogue hiperlinks and the "unfinished" quest that are not removed. I know, it is hard work and everybody here has a life besides Morrowind, but it could be better if you remove these unfinished quest. I have like five or six diary entries that I could not finish until I used the console thanks to the lack of hiperlinks. It is a shame that a so beatiful mod goes so wrong because of the dialogue. Ah, by the way, I never could use the the so called Dwemer construct at the begining of the game. I could locate the activator stones thanks CS, but I never figured out how to use it.
I have to agreed with SotiCoto about not load this plugin up until some major improvments are done, specially to the interaction, it is a shame, though.
Quote:Originally posted by El Pongido
Ah, by the way, I never could use the the so called Dwemer construct at the begining of the game. I could locate the activator stones thanks CS, but I never figured out how to use it.

The way to use the construct is to hop from platform to platform to get across the water, nothing more and nothing less. Their erratic movement can present a challenge. It's just a silly little thing I programmed with no deeper meaning. Smile
Thank you for the answer, but what I am saying is that I could not find the structure at all. There is a a post that other guy asked the same question. Perhaps you did not make it into the mod.
Pages: 1 2