Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: An Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Remember, this is only an idea, and I completely understand the reasons one may not want to do this, but I thought I'd pitch it anyway.

Silgrad tower has an extensive array of unique models which it has rightly decided to keep to itself in order to keep a unique feel and an impressive set of resources to differentiate itself from other, smaller mods. However, the Dwemer ruins tileset is in development I believe, and this is something that I think you should seriously consider sharing with the community.

Unlike the city tilesets, which really only have a purpose in mods competing with your own, the Dwemer tileset is something that has gotten an unparalleled number of requests, and would open up so many possibilities for the community.

It would give you massive posative PR, and it would also give silgrad's name even more reason to be thrown around. At its most basic form, this is still really only beneficial when seen as giving back to the community, but its something I think should most definately be considered.

DA
It's TheImperialDragon's decision since he's creating it, same as it's my decision to decide over my assets or SACarrow over his and so on.

But everyone can have opinions. Mine is that sure, maybe we would get some fringe benefits like a certain amount of goodwill and PR, but in my experience that doesn't propel us forward in any measurable sense. If we got just one guy to mod a new Dwemer ruin in Silgrad Tower - because he's really into all things Dwemer and we had the only architecture for it - it would do the mod more good than all the goodwill we could possibly amass by it being released freely.

Part of the fun of being in a mod team in my opinion is doing one's part to make it cooler and more entertaining. Always making it better, always improving it, always just plain making it more fun to play. In this case... making Silgrad Tower the coolest Oblivion mod there is. And the fact of the matter as I see it is, having unique visuals in our mod plays a big part in it being seen as cool. Not just some, but the more the better.

Also, to tie in with that team spirit concept again, one has to consider the feeling of fairness. Generally speaking we didn't sit around and wait for others to create what we needed, we went out of our way to do it ourselves. They should too. If they can't... well, they're always welcome to join the team.
I can see that view, but I find it very... limiting.

I can't model, I've tried, grappled with it, call me lazy, or whatever.

I find myself tied to what other modelers release, fine, it's their choice.

But DAMNIT what I couldn't do with a new tileset to work with! What the community could do with it is amazing! Hell, you could require a modder to complete a claim or something to get it if you wanted to (though that would be silly). The truth is, I have faith in this mod, and when it releases it will be a staple of the community, regardless of what's publicly available and what is not.

Think about it razorwing, what if every modder took that approach? Silgrad is a great community. One that's part of an even greater community, the modding community. And this (And I understand its IDs decision) could be a chance to give that great community something with which to excercize their brilliant ideas and make this game something even more grand than it is, because that's what Oblivion lacks now, new content, modders are all doing script or ambiance work, this could give them some real meat to work with, something to revitalize it all!