Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Not using ES3 meshes...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In your FAQ it states that you are not using ES3 meshes, because it is illigal to distribute them.

However, from viewing your youtube video on the moldcave, it looks like there are numerous meshes that are exactly the same as ES3 meshes.

So, what's the deal? Are you remaking them, and trying to get them to look exactly the same as the ES3 ones (if so, why...), or by the fact that you are re-exporting them back out as NIF v.11 files negate any copywrite issues?
Quote:Originally posted by Oht_Nought
In your FAQ it states that you are not using ES3 meshes, because it is illigal to distribute them.

However, from viewing your youtube video on the moldcave, it looks like there are numerous meshes that are exactly the same as ES3 meshes.

So, what's the deal? Are you remaking them, and trying to get them to look exactly the same as the ES3 ones (if so, why...), or by the fact that you are re-exporting them back out as NIF v.11 files negate any copywrite issues?

They look like TES3 meshes because I've been pursuing the goal of recreating TES3 meshes for around two years now and naturally I've learnt a lot about mimicking 3d designs in that time. I maintain a photobucket album with proof of originality screenshots, linked in my sig, which contains >100 images of my work taken while I create it.

Bethesda's art team for Morrowind were ingenious, both creatively and modelling-wise, and I wouldn't say I have nearly as much skill or experience as any of their modellers had. But fortunately the facecount restrictions of their day makes my life a bit easier, because once you've been at it for a few years, recreating their static designs really isn't brain surgery.
But if you're recreating ES3 to a 'T', (meshes and all) why not just make this mod for ES3?

If you modding ES4, why not make Morrowind in a new, updated vision, based on lore, and all that. No offense, but it seems academic to just 'move' ES3 into the ES4 engine. I mean, a lot of the meshes I've seen from the video are almost exactly the same. If you are indeed remaking them, why not make them somewhat different so it doesn't seem like you're playing ES3 in a new engine?

I understand a mod like this requires mass amounts of new meshes, but still...
Quote:Originally posted by Oht_Nought
But if you're recreating ES3 to a 'T', (meshes and all) why not just make this mod for ES3?

If you modding ES4, why not make Morrowind in a new, updated vision, based on lore, and all that. No offense, but it seems academic to just 'move' ES3 into the ES4 engine. I mean, a lot of the meshes I've seen from the video are almost exactly the same. If you are indeed remaking them, why not make them somewhat different so it doesn't seem like you're playing ES3 in a new engine?

I understand a mod like this requires mass amounts of new meshes, but still...

*climbs up on soapbox*

It would be kinda pointless to recreate it to a T but that's never been my intention either though. Rather, to recreate the meshes with the flair afforded both by the Oblivion engine and by the increased power of today's computers. The former allows for the use of specular, normal and parallax maps, partial reflection, and so on while the latter allows for more detailed models with hi-resolution textures.

We couldn't have any of that if we had remained focused on developing our mod for the TES3 platform. But since we're not, we can take advantage not only of that but also the improvements made on the game engine as well as a community vastly larger than the vaning one for TES3. I was around the first time our mod died, in the autumn of 2004, and when I brought it back to life it was perfectly clear to me that continuing our mod for the new game was the only way we would survive in the long run. And here we are, three years later, proving that we not only survived but also flourished.

Making models that are technically more advanced than their old counterparts is not the sole reason to remake them. Another part of the reason is ensuring that they aren't duplicates, even though it's perfectly legal to copy the position of each vertice and thus create a perfect replica. If some people suspect I ripped models now, how many wouldn't suspect it if I made perfect replicas? A thousand proof of originality shots wouldn't help because then the next guy who haven't browsed my photobucket album would wonder. So even if it's legal I don't engage in that, I draw out my primitives and splines to match the 3d silhouette of the old model and work from there and take originality shots whenever I can. I don't expect anyone to be impressed by those shots or browse the album for entertainment or anything like that, it's just your basic dropfolder where I show that I can and how I can -- for those who might wonder. Smile

Remaking the visuals of TES3 - in higher resolution and better 3d definition - doesn't equate remaking TES3 itself. I look forward to playing the TES4: Vvardenfell mod but I couldn't see myself recreating a whole landscape that many players will know like the back of their hand or adhering to recreating the characters, places, villages and towns players know equally well. I loved TES3 of course, like most people in our team, so I bet I'll have a blast playing it -- it just doesn't appeal to me creatively as a modder and modeller. Silgrad Tower offers a rekindled experience of Morrowind's architecture, flora, culture, and ambience - much like TES4: Vvardenfell will, except we offer that set on a new landscape that the player couldn't explore in the unmodded game. We have our own cities with their own history and backdrops that are quite different from TES3's setting.

So you'll get the spirit of Morrowind, but you'll also a fresh piece of land to discover. Not necessarily just for Oblivion... because as the utility that can export land data from TES3 mods proved, we can afford to have high hopes that we'll be able to export our world to the new format once The Elder Scrolls V is released. Given that we'll have finished the models we need by then, it'll be a piece of cake to reset their exact position in the world by copy-pasting XYZ coordinates between an instance of the old Construction Set and an instance of the new Construction Set. At least for our cities and important locations, I doubt anyone would mind if the trees and rocks outside the city gates shift position a bit. So there we have it, our everlasting tribute to the best game ever made! :bananarock:

*climbs down from soapbox*
I like how you put it, Razorwing. :applause:
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
That, and there is indeed a TES3 Silgrad too.

Just gotta love it when our models are so similar they're beleived to be the actual meshes from TES3. I wonder if that really is a good thing though what with their low poly count and all. ?(
TheImperialDragon, agram: Thanks Smile

IAMTHEEMPEROR: You keep saying the polycount is low but I don't agree with you. State specific cases where you feel I undershot the facecount and we can discuss those.
No, by that I was referring to Morrowind's bad poly count. Your meshes look great. :yes:
Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
No, by that I was referring to Morrowind's bad poly count. Your meshes look great. :yes:

Oh, ok. Smile I was half cautious I had overlooked something from Oblivion's early days.
Pages: 1 2