Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: New Computer Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all

My current computer that is used for gaming has become quite outdated. I'm going to keep it for surfing the net and other applications (3d max, photoshop etc). I'm going to get a new computer solely for gaming and I would like some advice.

I definitley want to go high end. I built my previous computer so, I'm not opposed to doing that again as it saves money, but I won a gift certificate to Alienware at my last Christmas party. They are overpriced and I've heard lots of horror stories about their customer service so I was thinking of selling the gift certificate and using the cash to buy the parts for my new computer.

My gift certificate is for $5000 so here is the computer I was looking at-
Alienware PC
I would upgrade the memory and stuff but I don't need any of the "add-ons"(monitor, speakers etc.)

What do you guys think? I wouldn't ever spend this on a computer, but having the certificate makes me want to. Do any of you own a Alienware? Was your experience good? I would like some opinion and/or advice.

Thanks
I also need a new high end gaming computer, so i would like to know about Alienware too :yes:
That computer will blow Oblivion out of your house. It's more than needed, and will suit you for at least the next 5 years without need to upgrade.
It looks fantastic! :goodjob:

I would go with XP instead of Vista but for future DX10 games that might not be an option. Anything over 2GB of RAM is gravy and I would go for a 10,000rpm HD if you weren't already. The 8800's are as good a graphics card as you can get and although Intel's Core2Duos are the top processors right now, I'm a long-time AMD fan.

I've always admired AlienWare from afar as I could never afford them so unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about their customer service. Then again, I don't think I've ever used a PC company's customer service since (so far) I've been able to do all of my own troubleshooting.

Good luck and post the specs when you finally do decide to pick it up; I'm a sucker for sweet PC hardware... :thumbsup:
After pricing all the things they use in the computer I would only save around $500 dollars if I built it myself. That is a decent amount, but I also would not recieve a warranty and I'm kinda a novice at computer building. I've never done a cooler or anything. Yeah, I was scared of Vista as well. Thank you for the opinions thus far.
Quote:Originally posted by ra5946
I was scared of Vista as well

Hey, i'm still scared of Vista Tongue
Well I ordered it- unfortunately because of two of the parts being "sold out" it won't ship till mid August. I've been able to get the game to sometimes work on my current pc. It often crashes my whole pc and I get on of those blue screen error with a long code.

Does anyone know if a crash like this could be caused by some virus?
Hmm, can you write down waht it says on the screen? We don't need the (0xbuncharandomnumbers) stuff, but if it says it's due to nv_4disp or nv_4disp.dll, it's caused by your drivers.
You will have a great computer when you get it in August. It may be possible to create a second partition to put xp on for xp games, cause vista doesn't run most of em, and has problems with many of the few that will run.

I am still debating about downloading a partition manager to create the right kind of second partition to follow that option.
Actually Beremat, it hasn't happened again, but I'll be sure to write down next time. Thanks

I asked for XP to be installed on it. I have a buddy who bought Vista, so I'll use his if I end up wanting it.