Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Earthquake in Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm not sure where you live in Japan Kielanai, but I hope you and your friends/family are all well. I've been looking at photos of all those beautiful homes that are now piles of lumber.
Hai, daijoubu desu, doumo. :bow: It's been an interesting week here to say the least. First the biggest typhoon to hit Japan sweeps over Kyuushuu and along the coast. Then, 6.8 earthquake hits Niigata-ken. Then, 6.6 quake hits last night again. I'm in Aomori-ken, but we felt it very strong, too. We're used to quakes here, but there's always a sense of loss that comes with knowing which ones feel bad. Yesterday's quakes ... I knew damage was hard somewhere, even if not in my prefecture. I had gone to bed when the second one hit, so after the cat ran to hide, I just lay there feeling the house shake. Sleeping on the floor, I feel every vibration when quakes hit at night, but this time I kept wondering if it was time to get up and brace myself, or if it was going away, because it kept shaking for a long time. I was a little afraid to go to sleep even after it became quiet. I'm happy to say there was no damage here, but unfortunately others were not so lucky. The damage is really bad in some places. :poorme:

I know someone who was flooded out of his room where the typhoon hit, but today it rained again, and he just called and said it flooded even worse -- the water is now up to car engines. Telebi stations send out mudslide warnings, etc. Japan is just very restless this week. Sad
I mist all of that, so it's all news to me.
It's good to know your are ok Kielanai, i hope your home won't get damaged, or worse... you get seriously hurt Sad

Ra, where Kielanai lives (Aomori-ken), that's the Northern tip of Honshu.
[Image: Aomori-ken-small.gif]

The earthquake was at Niigata-ken, that's not very far away from Aomori-ken.
[Image: emap.gif]
Mount Fuji was a volcano, right? That means that Japan can be subject to some seismic activity all over the place. Now are all of these quakes frequent, or are they only now starting?

All I can say is, Pompeii had frequent quakes before Vesuvius blew :eek: But I'm just crazy, and tired, so sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about Tongue
Quakes have been prominant throughout japanese history. Some say it acounts for the fascination with Post-Apocalyptic settings, though most just blame the bomb.
Lost my first answer. -_-*

Yes, I am fine, thank you. No damage here this time. The map is correct. The 6.8 and 6.6 quakes hit on the west coast yesterday, so I'm thankful to be more north. But because Japan is small, our prefecture easily feels any large quakes in the upper 1/3 of the country, including Hokkaido (the north island just above Aomori-ken). If Hokkaido gets a large quake, it could mean we go under tsunami warning as well since we are right below it and on the coast.

Fuji-san ... Yes, big volcano, but not active. However, Japan is on four earth plates sometimes called "ring of fire" because of all the movement and other volcanic activity. That's why we have so many earthquakes here. Japan can have up to 2-3000 earthquakes a year -- one about every 5 minutes. (One site I found said Kanto, alone, had 50 average a day.) But most are so small they aren't noticed. (Here is a link with English to show current quake readings: Japan Meteorlogical Agency A few times a month we may feel one that is like a bumpy car ride, but it's usually very short. Once every few months we feel one that is enough to rattle us for a longer and stronger length. But these "killer" quakes that cause great damage only happen a few times a year, thankfully. The one that is feared the most is the potential of a future Tokai region quake -- the big killer quake that people fear could take 6000-8000 or more lives. Agencies are rushing to make plans and rebuild structures in trying to prepare for it. Those "historical" damage quakes only happen about every 100 years, ... but people worry that it's time is near.

Typhoons frequent the southern islands like Kyuushuu, and then turn west to China or go up the east coast and out to sea. So, by the time they reach our region, they are not so strong -- mostly wind and heavy rain. Man-yi was the biggest typhoon yet to hit Japan, I heard. So, ... I feel Aomori-ken is a good location. Large quakes hit around us, but not directly beneath us. And typhoons lose steam before they reach us. ... So far ... :| I should probably eat those words before they backfire, ne? Considering that this week other areas had three unexpected disasters within a few days of each other ...

Edit: Had to change link to homepage and remove image due to copyright reading. Checked some facts. Should be okay now. And I just heard they say about 13,000 are homeless now. Sad Very bad.
I'm relieved to know you are ok. All we are getting in media is the really bad news, like a reactor having problems and trying to cover it up.
Oh yeah, I'd almost forgotten about the ring of fire. I had no idea that Japan was so seismically active. Kinda scary.

We had many volcanoes with accompanying earthquakes here in New England long ago, like long long ago, but luckilly they are all inactive now and are credited to our large amount of Granite.

It's good to hear you're ok though. :yes:
Really? I didn't know that area had volcanoes. I lived in Massachusettes for a short time. O_o! I lived in Washington a short time, too, and I know they have a volcano. There were a couple of small quakes while I was there, but very small. Not as many was Japan, though. Hehe. You can see the volcano warnings on that page, too. :yes:

And thank you, everyone, for the concern. My phone has been ringing a lot with people asking if I'm okay, so I'm happy to say that I am. And yes, the fuel problems are big news now everywhere. Sad Nh ...
We had volcanoes long long ago. The town I'm on is actually still a slightly seismically active area, about an earthquake once every 10 or so years though. They're usually all small, no big damage. I remember we had one a few years ago that shook our house a bit, and left a small crack in our foundation, but that's it.
Pages: 1 2 3