Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Dave's Daedric Tileset (possibly)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was bored, and I've been thinking about trying some exterior Daedric stuff for a while. I tried a while ago, but I found it difficult. Now though, now that I've learned a few more tools and things, I created a tower (ex_dae_ruin_01). I haven't posted in the open jobs for modellers, since I'm still not sure whether I should go for it, however this piece took me all of two hours, and it was fun making it, so I might consider giving some other things a go, it depends.

Here is a screenshot of the tower (I don't like Maya renders), the face count (IMO) has turned out quite low actually, however there a few things here and there that should be extruded out a bit, like pieces of stone wall. The bottom section was extruded out just like the MW counterpart. Unlike the MW version, I made only 5 pillars for the lower part, whereas in MW, there were seven. I only did this because I had no room, if it becomes a problem, I might be able to fit some more in (I don't think anyone would be too bothered about that though).

[Image: daetower01dw4.jpg]

If people think it looks okay, I might consider making the other parts. I'll probably need some help during the process though.
But with my usual one nitpicky suggestion. Smile That would be to apply a little "tilt" to some of the segments, particularly to the flangey thingies at the top. My idea is not really to create irregularity like we often do to LC structures, but to add a little skew to replicate the funhouse, hallucinogenic feel the Daedric architecture had in TES3.

My 2? (a bit less that 0.01? at the moment),
Steve
Yeah you're right. Smile I duped those top bits because I was too lazy to make them all, and if I twisted one of them they'd all twist. I'll make some seperate ones. :yes:
Seems reasonable. I'm not a Maya guy, but it sounds like the difference between copy (totally independent) and instance (can be affected by the original) in Max.

Steve
;( Wow I'm stupid. It has been so long since I've had Instance turned on, I didn't even realise it should be off (set to copy). Thanks Steve. Now it won't take a minute to do. :goodjob:
I like what you did with it, Dave :goodjob:

I also think it's a bit too lowpoly like you said. But at the same time the only place on it where I think the lowpoly-ness stands out is the wall around the base columns. I think the overall impression would look much smoother if you could chamfer the edges along that wall's rim two or three times. Then again it would probably be a good to chamfer all the other edges twice too, given how large the structure will be in-game.

Looking forward to seeing it textured!
hehe. I was poking around wih the daedric tile set the other day. pretty fun. rather easy to do most of the exteriors. the original modelling methods is quit obvious. However I decided that a few ket textures would take me many hours to each complete, so decided against seriously messing with it.

I actually think using 7 pillars is rather a methiphorical crux design point. using an even number like 6, which is softer and pleasing to the eyes, isn't what the daedric structures were about. 7 on the other hand is like 11 and is slightly odd and hard for most peoples eyes to feel comforable with. still looks pretty good though.
Ghogiel- Yeah I kept it to 5 pillars here, I'll probably go over them later because they'll need to be tweaked a bit anyway. I hope I'm not giving myself too big a task, I'm going to give it a try though. Tongue

Razorwing- Yes- I'll be going over the shape again later today. I did notice nearly all of the sharp edges had some sort of bevel of chamfer, so I'll have another try with that. :yes: I most likely cannot make textures unfortunately, so resorting to a MW retexture might be the best shot for the time being, or I'll post in the open threads for textures.

I started on building 2, this is very early work and is not complete, I still need to work on the pillars in the centre, and the domed roof section a bit more, and make some of the parts more detailed. I'll work on this much more today.
I decided not to take on this task for the exterior tileset, after listening to others' words of advice, I think it might be best for me to work on something a bit smaller that I can complete. I was thinking of the Velothi cave, since there are only 4 pieces to the set, I believe. Anyway, if this could be locked or deleted or whatever, that'd be good.
Quote:Originally posted by Dave_91
I decided not to take on this task for the exterior tileset, after listening to others' words of advice, I think it might be best for me to work on something a bit smaller that I can complete. I was thinking of the Velothi cave, since there are only 4 pieces to the set, I believe. Anyway, if this could be locked or deleted or whatever, that'd be good.

Sorry to hear that Dave. Looking forward to checking out what you'll do with the Velothi cave thouigh.

I'll lock your thread then.