Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Possible conflict or glitch?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I recently tried out Silgrad Tower 2.5; what is available in planeteldescrolls and tessource.

For a very long time I had been unable to play this mod as I had been plagued by the old missing landmass problem due to a possible conflict or another.

Since I read that issue had been resolved, I decided to try out 2.5 and see if I had luck this time around. I had only attempted one of the very early releases so I was expecting to see those old portaal doors that led to the cities. So for about a half hour I ran like a moron in circles until finally stopping to talk with the Dunmer in the shack outside the cave to Cyrodiil.

I just basically wanted to test things so I just purchased the "comnpass marker" to Reich Parkeep and rode off in the horse trying to reach it. The amount of terrain was simply amazing I want to say, it is fantastic work. I experienced a major slowdown twice, where my game froze four about 10 secs or so.

When I finally broke into the area marked as Reich Parkeep territory or something like that, I saw what I believed to be some buildings and headed for them. I had circled around this massive body of water to my right and as I neared the structures I have to admit that I was unsure whether they were in fact mushroom or plant-like buildings or actually large flora. I never played Morrowind so I hope you'll forgive my ignorace on the architecture.

As I apprroached the structures, my screen turned completely black. I could still see my HUD and access my inventory without any problems, though the background behind the charcter was black also. And I could still hear myself moving along the terrain.

I do have a failry modified game which might be root of conflicts; Cybiades, Unique Landscapes, Castle Ravenpride, heck maybe even a companion like Rhianna which are some of what I have installed.

I asked about this in tessource forums, but figured perhaps it might be a time saver to come to the mod's source and ask here. I have never experienced this kind of glitch in Oblivion before and being that it was in Morrowind when it occured I wanted to verify if this is an issue that might be known about. I have Oblivion completely up to date; latest patch, SI, all DLCs.

Along with some of the mods I mentioned above, I also have all of Quarn's unofficial patches of DLCs and SI; in case that's important. There are some other mods, mostly relating to weapons and armors, nothing really major.

I do not run mods like ooo or mmm, or anything like that. I would appreciate any assistance that may be available, even if it were eliminating this mod as the one with problem so I could then check somewhere else to see what it could be. Thanks a lot and this is a great effort you are making to enrich Oblivion for players.
I tested the ST v2.5 (clean) with Cybiades, OOO, MMM and a few of the Unique Landscape mods. Also tested it with SI and found no problems.

It sounds like a conflict that's caused by a contaminated mod.

Try to deselect a few of the mods.

For testing:

Open the console (type "~").
Type: cow"silgradtowerland" -14,34 and hit enter. This console function places you near a city gate of Soluthis (/Reich Parkeep).
I get that sometimes, it usually works for me to deselect all my mods, load Oblivion make a clean save, then reload them.
It usually take awhile, because I have 100 - 200+ mods.
Hope that helps.
Or you could always make a new character, which is generally the best option, because it makes sure the character is clean.
Thank you for the recommendations, I'll try to see if I can identify the problem; perhaps Bartholm, Castles Ravenpride or Knightstone are the source of the conflict. Then again it may be combination of mods or something entirely different.

For all purposes the save was virtually clean, I restarted the game from the Imperial sewers and only several mods were active at the time outside those I listed above; mainly weapons and armor mods, a couple of companions, that sort of thing.

I don't know what to think; outside of Silgrad, Ravenpride, Bartholm, Knightstone and Cybiades the other mods I have have been ingame for a very long time. I've run through the man quest twice completely and have finished almost all fighter/mage/arena and city sidequests in one playthrough and considerable quests in Shivering Isles in the second; and I never got this black screen anywhere before.

In any case I wanted to verify if this sort of issue had occured before, I appreciate the suggestions.
Quote:Originally posted by Atreides
Hi, I recently tried out Silgrad Tower 2.5; what is available in planeteldescrolls and tessource.

For a very long time I had been unable to play this mod as I had been plagued by the old missing landmass problem due to a possible conflict or another.

Since I read that issue had been resolved, I decided to try out 2.5 and see if I had luck this time around. I had only attempted one of the very early releases so I was expecting to see those old portaal doors that led to the cities. So for about a half hour I ran like a moron in circles until finally stopping to talk with the Dunmer in the shack outside the cave to Cyrodiil.

I just basically wanted to test things so I just purchased the "comnpass marker" to Reich Parkeep and rode off in the horse trying to reach it. The amount of terrain was simply amazing I want to say, it is fantastic work. I experienced a major slowdown twice, where my game froze four about 10 secs or so.

When I finally broke into the area marked as Reich Parkeep territory or something like that, I saw what I believed to be some buildings and headed for them. I had circled around this massive body of water to my right and as I neared the structures I have to admit that I was unsure whether they were in fact mushroom or plant-like buildings or actually large flora. I never played Morrowind so I hope you'll forgive my ignorace on the architecture.

As I apprroached the structures, my screen turned completely black. I could still see my HUD and access my inventory without any problems, though the background behind the charcter was black also. And I could still hear myself moving along the terrain.

I do have a failry modified game which might be root of conflicts; Cybiades, Unique Landscapes, Castle Ravenpride, heck maybe even a companion like Rhianna which are some of what I have installed.

I asked about this in tessource forums, but figured perhaps it might be a time saver to come to the mod's source and ask here. I have never experienced this kind of glitch in Oblivion before and being that it was in Morrowind when it occured I wanted to verify if this is an issue that might be known about. I have Oblivion completely up to date; latest patch, SI, all DLCs.

Along with some of the mods I mentioned above, I also have all of Quarn's unofficial patches of DLCs and SI; in case that's important. There are some other mods, mostly relating to weapons and armors, nothing really major.

I do not run mods like ooo or mmm, or anything like that. I would appreciate any assistance that may be available, even if it were eliminating this mod as the one with problem so I could then check somewhere else to see what it could be. Thanks a lot and this is a great effort you are making to enrich Oblivion for players.

there are a number of black screen glitches. the most famous being the dirty tangent space and nvidia cards. the only way to fix that one is find the mesh that causes it and update the tangent space in the nif, Qarn I think also has a patch for a different black screen bug.
I downloaded Quarn's black screen fix as a precaution but have never installed it. I do have an nvidia card, 6800, but in almost a cumulative 400 hours of playing the game I never had a black screen until now.

Also the description of the black screen bug is rather vague. Is it that everything is black; including all inventory windows, huds, etc. or is it just the game terrain like happened to me? I could still see my inventory, maps, even my hud and target reticle were still onscreen; I just couldn't see the terrain.

And it happened just as I approached these large plantlike structures I mentioned, just as I came up to one the screen blacked out. I was playing inside the Morrowind world for over an hour without any issues. Perhaps it is a conflict with a nif in the mod?

It's a real shame, I was really hoping to get it to work this time out with the missing land issue fixed. Thanks again for the help.
In different areas of Soluthis in the 2.5 PV of ST my pc view will go black and stay that way. The compass stays active and I can move the pc and change directions but nothing is visible at all and it remains darker than moving outside an interior mesh. The game has not crashed, the screen has just gone completely black. I can find no console commands that will change this and weather change or game time passage has no effect. The only option left is to close the game.
This is the very first time I've ever ran into this kind of bug and I was wandering if anyone had any kind of helpful info about it?

MAF
Atreides, I got the same problem on my machine as well. It appears to be an incompatibility problem with the nifs and the video display card.
If that is the case and since I'm not planning on changing anything hardware wise in the near future it appears I will have to live without being able to enjoy ST OB. This version or even the upcoming one.
That strikes me as very sad, but as they say, "Oh Well".
To further the info on this problem I will say that I played in the Stedhelm area for a long time with no blackout occuring. And the blackout has only occured in the Soluthis/Reich Parkeep area.
That pretty much points to a dirty tangent area nif problem involving the Nvidia video display. Which pretty much means for me on this machine that unless the offending nifs get located and cleaned up my chances of using and enjoying ST OB are pretty much NIL. And that is a major drag for me but what else can I say, sometimes life is just tuff.
I don't have the technical knowledge to be able to locate and clean up the offending meshes and I also probably don't even have the necessary software to even start or begin correcting this unfortunate problemo, so that pretty much leaves me with no options.

Unfortunately, for me on this machine that is, these nifs or meshes that crash or blackout the screen on this video display will probably still exist on the next release of ST OB as well, and if that is the case my possible future use and enjoyment of ST OB will be doomed as well. And in my personal opinion that really stinks, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it.

MAF
I have an 'Nvidia' Geforce 8600 GT and do not have the black issue. Can't remember experiencing it with my 6600 either.
Well Zurke,
I suppose that's the good news, the bad news is that Atreides and Boserman (that's me I think) , are at least two individuals that have the blackout problem. And as far as I've been able to work with it I have no idea what's causing it and how to stop it. When it happens it's pretty much "game over" because I have found no way to get the screen back on. My only option is to shut oblivion down entirely, so as I said, for me at least it means game over whether I want the game to be over or not.
That means as far as ST OB PV 2.5 goes for me from a players viewpoint it is a useless file. Since I have not yet downloaded all the necessary data for CS work I do not yet know if the new BSA will crash the CS for me on my machine in the same area for a related reason or not. So all I can say for sure is as it stands now is, 2.5 is useless for me, and as far as what's next, we'll just have to wait and see.

MAF
Pages: 1 2