Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Do I know you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well, here's another one of those talk about yourself and your heritage threads. I never really saw any others, and I don't want to go bringing back the last one which was from some time in January. Thought it would be cool to learn about the people I mod with.

I am half Greek, half Irish.

I can't say much about the history of the Irish side of my family. There were so many things hidden by my great-grandparents and remain to be hidden by my grandmother who never likes to talk to anyone. My ancestors lived in Ulster, now Northern Ireland. They survived the potato famine and came here shortly after Ulster became the protestant central in Ireland. Being the only Catholic family ni the village, they decided they should move out and it would be a good time to come to America. So here we are.

The Greek side of my family I know a little more about. We have nobility in our blood from a long time ago, barons. My great grandmother was a refugee who fled from her town after a conflict, I can't remember what one, think it had to do with the Ottoman Empire though. She was found by a fisherman after swiming for almost a day. They got married and had my grandfather. My grandfather was a war hero in World War II in the Greek navy. He sucessfully took down many Italian ships and managed to sail the nearly destroyed ship back and saved everyone on it. Then they moved to America, because Greece wasn't a perfect place to live in some areas, and here we are.

As for myself, It will take some persuading to tell my name. But I live in (ok don't laugh at the name) Belchertown Massachusetts. Used to be called Cold Spring, I'd prefer that name. I'm going to be a Junior at the Belchertown High School, and that's about it. Sorry, no pictures of myself Tongue
Oh man this is boring. Both my parents are dutch. From my dads side it goes back for at least 5 generations. My mothers maidenname points out they started as nobility long ago.

I got no special famility members etc. Tongue
Half Jewish, and, a tenth English, a tenth Irish, a tenth Scottish, a tenth Welsh, a tenth German, and my mother says that there may be some american-Indian in there too.

I also wish I was eastern islander. Or African. But you know, you can't have everything =)

Not to say I don't admire my Jewish heritage (though I would not say it is my religion, for your mother has to be Jewish by tradition to be considered Jewish, if I wanted to become one I believe I could though). My great grandfather came from Poland, my great grandmother from Russia. Grandpa was a communist. Most of my family on that side believe in those values. I tend to agree about half the time with what they say if not more. As for my actual tribe, such of the twelve tribes of Israel, I have no clue. Would like to know someday though. There is a really cool story however of how I got my last name, which is Italian. My Grandfather was looking for work, and due to the fact that so many people who were Jewish were not liked at the time, he decided to change his name to Italian, (he did look kinda italian though) to work in a restaurant, an Italian one. So yeah, my actual last name is Strum, however we changed it to Torre. My dad's mother died while he was young however, due to cancer (he was seven) so I don't know if we can really dig up much of information other then that on her end.

My name Ian, is Scottish, which means John. My mom however, according to her, picked it because it was a rare and pleasant sounding name (at least in America), not because of her heritage.

Schiller, my mothers maiden name, is German. They owned a log cabin in one of the mid-eastern states. My grandmother, and her parents were greatly involved in show-business. Infact, my grandfather had written the music to many old American classics,(even the music to steamboat willy, I believe) and was associated with and to those who created that ABOMINATION (jk) Mickey mouse. Except back then he was called Roger the Rabbit. But he got pissed off at the corporation or something and left. Kinda good because we avoided the taint that the Disney corporation began to spread, but bad in his eyes because chances are we would have had much of the money today if he had sticked in.

The same great-grandfather and grand-mother raised my mom. My grandma had some problems with her mentality, they said, (probably due to the glamour of holywood and thus they took her into a very dark and malinformed "mentality center" where they (earlier times mind you) gave her shock therapy. Yeah, evil stuff. She is amazingly still alive, after years of similar harmful practices, and lives over the hill to the south of my house in a home, 91 years of age I believe, and she lost the functionality of her legs long ago. Last time I talked to her, she said she wanted a hoverround, so...

Dutch heritage I know only what I know of the country, and from what I understand they were merchants, so chances are my ancestors were as well.

My Irish side, I don't know much about, but I rarely had cared for it. I wore green on saint Patrick's day when i could remember it, unlike my heritage.. But I just turned 21 on the tenth of august and alcohol I find hurts my stomach very much. Plus my family (besides my dad) is into Alcoholics Anon. Information thereof is supposed to be kept anonymous... but oh well.

My welsh side I know nothing of, but I'm sure my English side came over to the Americas via the opportunities of indentured servitude offered by the English empire to expand the colonies.

Like I said, I know not even if my heritage regarding my Indian side is accurate. My mom says that her big toe is Iroquois.

Well dudes, I'm Californian so I'd say that's pretty much a rap.
Lets see.. I suppose I can tell the tale.. Tongue

There was once a farm called Stokkeland. The first family who lived there moved out and called themself Stokkeland after. Another family moved in. Moved out and called themself Stokkeland. Another family moved in. Moved out and called themself Stokkeland.

Big Grin

There is loads of Stokkeland lastnames in Norway (in the south atleast) and some relatives in US (not sure if they use the name though) Big Grin

Can't really remember much about special family members.. but I know Grandfather(mother side) was a boat electrician.. He traveled on a boat which he kept running.. Father side there is little of interest on.. as far as I know. Farmers mostly. Mostly in this house(totally changed now).. Big family.. 6 siblings.. And if I'm not all off track dad built a street. (Right.. )
Wow, those are good stories.
Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
As for myself, It will take some persuading to tell my name. Sorry, no pictures of myself Tongue

You would start a "Do I know you?" thread and you won't even tell us your name or show a picture? :eek:
So how do we have to figure out if we know you Big Grin
Hey, I said I'd need some persuasion Big Grin

Bring out the minigame, unless you have some money to bribe away

[Image: Minigame2-1.jpg]
[Image: gold.jpg] - Bribe
Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
Hey, I said I'd need some persuasion Big Grin

Bring out the minigame, unless you have some money to bribe away

I'll start with a bribe:

[Image: gold.jpg][Image: gold.jpg][Image: gold.jpg][Image: gold.jpg][Image: gold.jpg]

Then I'll persuade you in this order:

Coerce
Admire
Joke
Boast

Tongue

No one's going to find out about me though. :brew:
Ok, you win.

Name: Steve Symiakakis. Yes, I'm so greek Tongue
Picture, not in a million bajillion years. Big Grin
I am pretty sure I'm English through and through, I'm pretty sure there in no maori in my bloodline. Both My surname (Garland) and my mothers maiden name (Chandler) have both been around since before the Battle of Hastings(1066). My maternal great-gradparents moved from London many years ago. I know pretty much nothing of my paternal lineage.

On a side note: Does anyone remember the Seven Daughters of Eve? We sequenced our own DNA during my University degree and I belong to the clan of Helena, but I have a distinct point mutation only present in my lineage.
Pages: 1 2 3 4