Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Leaf Transparency Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello All

Although Razorwings 'Multilayered Transparency' tutorial did help my palm quite a bit, I'm still having a problem with my palm leaves. The alpha channel is fine as I've done different tests to see if it's "edged" close enough and what not. Any idea how to fix this?
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/ra...eError.jpg
Hard to tell from a screenshot but my first guess would be you need to increase the Threshold level on the Block Details of the NiAlphaProperty node. 64 is often a good one, but then again the optimal number depends on how the opacity map looks.
Isn't this also a situation where using 4845 instead of the default 237, as you said in this post?

Steve
Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
Isn't this also a situation where using 4845 instead of the default 237, as you said in this post?

Steve

I don't think that would be it in this particular case Smile Rather it's a Threshold problem since the opacity isn't bled enough. Though I guess it could be a problem with the opacity texture too. I used to get that glitch when my opacity maps were "perfect", i.e. they were black and white and matched the color texture perfectly. That worked great in Morrowind (I think) but Oblivion has a way of bleeding opacity by default, which is controlled via the gray outline in the opacity texture and also the Threshold level.
Great!
I'll try that today Razorwing. I had posted my issue on the official forums as well and got a few good ideas, but none of them worked. (Stencil property, zbuffer). I also played around with that "4845" number and I get different results, but none really that great. (The screenshot is taken with the 4845 setting)

Thanks

Edit Yesterday, 23:55: Shoot...That wasn't it. I tried a bunch of different threshold values and it maybe changed a little but not that much. Is it possible my alpha map is too detailed?

It only reall shows when it's full sun. It it's stormy/raining you can barely notice it.
Quote:Originally posted by ra5946
Great!
I'll try that today Razorwing. I had posted my issue on the official forums as well and got a few good ideas, but none of them worked. (Stencil property, zbuffer). I also played around with that "4845" number and I get different results, but none really that great. (The screenshot is taken with the 4845 setting)

Thanks

Edit Yesterday, 23:55: Shoot...That wasn't it. I tried a bunch of different threshold values and it maybe changed a little but not that much. Is it possible my alpha map is too detailed?

It only reall shows when it's full sun. It it's stormy/raining you can barely notice it.

Then my hunch is that the problem is in the opacity map. Post up the nif and textures on rapidshare.com or similar service and I can have a more thorough look Smile
Try with an Alpha Flag value of 6893 and a threshold of 64, this should fix your problem. We use this value on plant which have several layer of leave. Depending of your alpha map, you may adjust the threshold value.

If that could help Wink
Thanks again for the help guys. I tried the new settings and I didn't notice any difference. My alpha map seems right on but hopefully you can find something wrong.

Not that you guys need it, but you're welcome to this model.
Thanks for having a look-here's the link

Palm Tree
I just ran into some issues like this myself last night, though I can live with mine, its just the left side doesn't play nice with a portion of the other side. And its more noticeable in nifskope than game. I would think XMS has it right. its likely the vertex index number order. I don't think I can truely fix all the issues with mine as its a robe. and its rigged now, so detaching and attaching bits and reordering the verts would break the skinning.

I would try what he suggested.
I tried the "reordering" the verts method a couple days ago and it didn't clear it up. I looked at a palm that had been released as a modders resource and it has the same issue, but his/her edges are black instead of grey. I wonder if really detailed alphas just do this....
If Razorwing doesn't find anything wrong with my nigf or textures, I'll start over and see if I can find a work around. The tree looks great on a clear night, but once the sun comes out it looks horrible.
Pages: 1 2 3 4