Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Weekly meeting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just had a think, and thought maybe it'd be nice (and productive) to have a weekly live chat on some web thing. There's hundreds of free chatrooms we could hop onto, if not setting up one of our own. Think this is a fair plan? It'd need arranging to a time generally most people can get online at of course.

I'm having a look for a possible place atm.

This is really just a free, really quick alternative to everyone downloading msn and having to be logged on that. If I grab a small java chat client, anyone could just type the address in and they're sorted, no downloading or signing up to anything.

Edit: http://www.freewebs.com/sodnet/akavir.htm

There we go! Just join #Akavir
It would be nice to hold meetings like that and share what we have done in the past week.
Whoops, missed you coming on earlier. At least it works fine. I was busy playing Duke Nukem 3D Wink Old school
Quote:Originally posted by Spoonifico
Whoops, missed you coming on earlier. At least it works fine. I was busy playing Duke Nukem 3D Wink Old school

Hehe, just got on to see what the chat looks like Tongue
I thought there was a board chat room on these forums :confused:

Personally i have never felt the need to chat, because i'm on the forums every day, so i'm already talking about progress and things like that every day.
Well, the board chat was just intended as a means for ST admins to communicate directly without using instant message programs. It looks pretty messed up and I honestly can't imagine why anyone would want to use it, but you're of course welcome to if you feel like it.

We never wound up using it for that purpose by the way. When we need to talk directly it's usually because the forum is down, and the chat doesn't do us much good then Big Grin I call the other (semi-retired) admin on the phone in those cases.
Let's not kid ourselves; the board chat as it stands now is horrid. :bash: I admire Rodan's effort to use it and I like the concept, but the implementation is gross. 8 seconds for refresh? A minute for user updates?

If anyone with more knowledge in this area were to set up one (or several) using other tech for ST/BC members, that might work. Smile

So not volunteering,
Steve
an IRC chanel is probably simplest. all you really have to do is get a chat client (or use a web-based one) and pick a chanel name.
I would be fine with an occasional meeting, when there is a specific subject that needs discussing. There are times when communicating through the board doesn't work as well as meeting in a chat room.

I think weekly meetings might be problematic though, if only because we have members all over the world.
The current chat I have on the link I provided is a java IRC applet. So it's got all the powers of IRC shoved into a small window.

@Kodama - You're right, there isn't a need. It's just handy. It's a known fact, meetings let everyone know what's going on, who's working on what, and we could all have a laugh while we're at it.

@Ysne - Yeah, times would need consideration, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a reasonable time. It's also not necessary everyone turns up. IMO, it would be better informal, people just turn up on the day and stick there while they're online, and discuss anything going on.