Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: n00biepl0x's Weekly Cuttle bookart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Posts re: Weekly Cuttle bookart excised from the "Open jobs for texturers" thread. /Razorwing 2007-10-18
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Something I forgot back when tibmaker made the retexture of the Black
Horse Courier booksheet model for our "The Weekly Cuttle" was that we'd
need a pageheader-type bookart for it too. The original broadsheet uses "textures\menus\book\broadsheetheader01.dds" as the pageheader, so please use that texture for reference.

I'd like to try that one as a variety on what I've been doing these last days. If you'd upload the file I"ll happily make the header. Text fx are what got me photoshopping and I know a lot of them Smile. Please give some more information on how it has to look and the font and stuff. then I'll only need the reference.
new tapestries will be coming soon too.

EDIT: nvm I fixed my inbox
I've been away on a trip for a few days. Nice work on the Mara tapestry :yes: I prefer email to any other form of delivery system, when possible. I have a yahoo account behind the razorwing adress so I have practically unlimited space for recieved files.

I attached a copy of the bookart texture.
Razorwing, your download doesn't work for me: everytime I try to download it my computer crashes. Can you please e-mail it to me?

Also, the next tapestry is REALLY hard, and I've been busy. I think It'll take a couple more weeks at max. It may even take longer, because I'm installing photoshop cs2 now to replace my old 7.0
I think I have to re-install the dds plug-in and one other plug in I use (sinedots). I'll also have to install my custom brushes again.

black[/hr]
Razorwing replied on 2007.10.16 19:11 in a post not excised to this discussion:
I've now emailed the bookart dds to you.
here's the weekly cuttle thing for download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1kkxxtg02kr

weeklycuttle2 copy is with a bit distorted text (my preference)
weeklycuttle3 copy is with normal text.

good luck
Hope you don't mind I excsized posts from the "Open jobs for texturers" to separate this discussion. It can get a bit confusing after awhile with several different discussions in one thread, but it's easy enough to modify afterwards so I'm not critisizing.

I like the design of your bookart, and like yourself I also prefer the version with distorted text. The kwama forager image is aligned too low, and I think the logo would look more balanced if you centered it vertically.

The pageheader looks quite a bit different from how the physical broadsheet looks. Could I convince you to modify the broadsheet texture that come with the game later on, so that it matches your bookart design? The texture you'd need to modify in that case is broadsheet01.dds and found in the folder Oblivion\Data\textures\clutter\books. If you can't or don't want to then it's not a big deal, it'd just be a nice touch.

I checked out your bookart ingame and here's how it displayed:

[Image: th_Oblivion2007-10-1822-43-54-54.jpg]

The texture needs alpha channel transparancy. Smile It can't take advantage of a normal map though, so those aren't needed in this case.

I've attached a plugin which you can use to playtest your texture. I know you don't have ST installed, so I included everything that's needed for it to display ok. All you need to download is the latest internal esm from The Source board.

After that, extract the contents of the attachment to your Oblivion directory and then boot up Oblivion. Tick "Oblivion.esm", "Silgrad_Tower.esm" and "StRw - Changes the weekly cuttle's bookart". Load any savegame and then bring up the console by pressing the key to the top left of your tab key. Write: coc aaaaCuttle and hit return, and you'll be teleported to the test cell. Once you're there it's just a matter of clicking any of the broadsheets.
i think the forager is too screenshot like. it would be much more realistic (and atmospheric) if it were drawn or ink painted or even printed. if you have some artistic skill you could do a drawing of it, or you could just slap on a series of artistic filters for effect.
I'll try to do what I can. It's probably hard to do for me but I can try those things.
- I'll make the kwama thing a bit more "painted"
- I'll center the text
- I'll try to make that background more parchment-like ok?

We've got a problem here:
my bookart01.dds is the black horse courier thing and it's very small and low quality. And that background almost looks the same as mine.

I didn't mean that you should change the parchment texture in the backdrop. I meant that you should create a transparant alpha channel that makes everything except the text and kwama graphic invisible, like how Bethesda's bookart works.
oh, OK. I can do that. But do you want the new or the old kwama? and the new or the old bookart texture?
Quote:Originally posted by n00biepl0x
oh, OK. I can do that. But do you want the new or the old kwama? and the new or the old bookart texture?

Cool Smile

I think both the old and the new kwama graphic has its advantages. The new looks more realistic for use as bookart, while the old one is clearer and makes it easier to make out that it's a kwama forager. So both would be good choices, but if I had to choose one I liked better than the other I would choose the old one. Apart from that I would prefer the new version of your texture with two graphics on either side of the title. The image can't be wider than 512 pixels though otherwise it won't fit in book windows.
Pages: 1 2