Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: REQ: Concept art for painting alternatives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the interesting things about the Dunmer are that they don't use paintings. In our mod this mostly applies to Dunmer belonging to House Redoran, since members of House Hlaalu are generally more open towards the Empire (including cultural influences). As interesting as that is, it makes it a bit more challenging to decorate interiors.

To remedy the problem I thought I'd ask for concept art of objects that act as paintings, but aren't paintings in the traditional sense. An example of how I mean can be an arrangement of animal hides stretched over wooden sticks that can be stuck into a wall, though you shouldn't constrict yourself to that idea just because I mentioned it - any object that has the same practical application as a painting but isn't one would be a viable idea.

Written ideas are welcome too. Smile
tapestries, mosaic, stuffed animals, something stamped or engraved in wood.
Maybe something along the lines of greek vases/pots? or japanese screens dividing up the room?
I remember some similar stuff about some muslim cities, they weren't allowed to paint, so in return they came up with some amazing and beautiful buildings and stuff like that..

Hmm but it's only tapestries and other "paintings"?

well dunmer focus heavily on their ancestors, so some it should be stuff that symbolizes their ancestors and family trees or something like that, perhaps their religion too.
Small statuettes of their gods, busts or their ancestors. Their personality could be shown though tattoos as well. "see that one here, on my arm? It means 'courage and honor' in Cyrodiilic" *an Imperial bust out it laughter* "No! It means; I got tiny balls!" XD (oh well, spam aside Smile )

It could be engravings on pots and weapons as well.
I like your ideas for new objects, and they would be great to have in their own right. But we either have them already (tapestries) or they don't fill the same role as paintings do. Or both, as in the case with the wallscreens which are very similar to the japanese screens suggested by Bloody Hypocrite. It was a good idea though, Dunmer culture in general has lot of Japanese influences in it. The old game had it's own brand of Japanese-influenced wallscreens, which I recreated some time ago. They stand freely on floors though, so they don't work in the same way as paintings.

By filling the same role as paintings I mean a single object you can easily fit on a wall while modding an interior and then the wall has all the decoration it'll have. Shelves don't count for instance since they have to have additional objects placed on it. It's kinda boring to only have tapestries to fill up wall surfaces that gets left over after the interior is pretty much finished.

Fire off another volley of ideas if you have them Smile

Tobi the Dane: Are you thinking of the muslim rule that forbids depictions of people? Islamic architecture often have very elaborate, nonsensical patterns, perhaps due to that rule. I don't think many muslims adhere to the rule these days.
Quote:[i]
Are you thinking of the muslim rule that forbids depictions of people? Islamic architecture often have very elaborate, nonsensical patterns, perhaps due to that rule. I don't think many muslims adhere to the rule these days.

aye, that's the rule I thought about.
Just as a little note, painting is in Dunmer culture, just not done in a realistic way. You can see the style of painting date back very far, being found in Velothi Shrines and Tombs, done with black paint/ink.

I think it would be cool if Redoran painted onto oversized wepons, using them as canvases. The weapon would only be ceremonial, completly useless as a normal weapon, but used to show the importance of weapons/strength in Redoran society.

Concept:
[Image: redoranart01qt1.th.jpg]

The imagery on the Axe is just a placeholder, to show the style of art that anything drawn on it would be in (being similar to the Velothi style).

Anyway, I hope you like my idea Smile