Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Using Silgrad's files for other mods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I am Gilboron from the Order of the Sweaty Hands Team (A very epic and hilarious quest mod), and one of the planned quests was one where the player has to travel to Morrowind to recover one's head. Now, I was wondering, could I, under any circumstance, borrow meshes and textures from the Silgrad Tower project? The mod will be referenced in the readmes, and I'll make sure that there's a reference within the mod itself Wink .

If not possible, could anyone give me advice how I could best come to a Morrowind-ish town with only stock Oblivion models?
No, our models stay in the Silgrad Tower mod. Perhaps it would be easier to set your quest in another province? Plenty of Oblivion's architecture is influenced by neighbouring provinces (though I never thought they got Morrowind's influence right). If that's a viable idea and you still want to use new architecture then one idea is to use Barabus' crypt set which I worked on. Here's a quick video. It'd probably have to be an underground city in that case, but still the set looks kinda nice (and creepy! Big Grin)
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm going to use Barabus' Crypt Set, and I'm not going to set it in another province, as we already have quests going to all other provinces. I guess I'll have to find a way myself...
Razorwing, what's wrong with letting Gilboron use a few house meshes? ?(

Gilboron, try PMing a modder named Jon. Smile Maybe he'll let you use his Telvanni architecture when it's done. Or talk with Phitt about using his Dwemer tileset. He's not really part of Silgrad. I'm also giving you permission to use any assets my modding team creates. Check your PM. Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Hidden
Razorwing, what's wrong with letting Gilboron use a few house meshes?

Razorwing is the best person to answer that question, but I will try to explain what I understand nonetheless.

Razorwing has spent a large part of these last two years making models that would help make this mod stand out in its own unique way. When he makes these models, I bet he's thinking down the road about the final release of ST for TES4 and how they'll make their real debut there, in the mod that he's been involved with for almost four whole years.

And this isn't very different from what many other modders and teams are doing - many will wait for their final product before releasing anything at all for any purpose because they want their work to be featured first how they saw it when they made it. I am under the impression Tamriel Rebuilt doesn't release anything until their final releases, and I also believe Phitt has expressed that he's willing to share his models with everyone only after he's finished his mod. Silgrad Tower is still pretty far from either of those stages.
Nope, we have relzed stuff alredy. the entierty of morrowind 0oT is out and enterily avaliable for modding (even though only map1 is out at all). hammerfell stuff is still under wraps since there has not been a release yet.
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
Nope, we have relzed stuff alredy. the entierty of Morrowind 0oT is out and enterily avaliable for modding (even though only map1 is out at all).
I suppose that's true, but Map 1 was still a full beta release. I should have distinguished between a final and full release (in my mind, they're all essentially finished).

EDIT: Map 1 doesn't have quests, so I guess it isn't "full" by technical definition, but it's a new landmass with a lot of content, which is the goal of most large landmass projects.

Silgrad Tower is far from either stage on the Oblivion mod.
Howdy

Regardless

If you ask any mod team or modder if you can have their files, whilst they are still in work on thier project 99.999% of the time the answer will be
NO

and I would agree with that ! 100%

Enjoy
Bob
Well, maybe I misunderstood Razorwing's stance at some point, but the choice of words was very different. Phitt said his work could be used when he was done. The impression I got here is that nobody can use the Silgrad Tower assets under any circumstance... well maybe just a few. Personally, I think it would be unique anyway because it's the only mod creating the Morrowind mainland, but if you plan on letting others use your assets after you're done, you should say so. That would motivate others to join much better and hopefully avoid a few "questionable" posts I've seen on BSF recently. Wink

Eh, maybe I should let Razorwing respond first.

bob, most modders actually do give you permission for a file even if their mod isn't done. You just can't expect them to upload the file just for you before their first public release date. And you're on your own most of the time. They'll give you models and scripts but if you don't even know how to make them playable or put them in an .esp file that's your problem.

Take my team for example. We'll let you use anything you want, but we won't upload it for you on RapidShare or some other place. You'll have to wait until our first release, download the whole mod like everyone else and then figure out what parts to extract and how to put them in your own mod. (That still doesn't mean you don't have our "blessing". Tongue)
Quote:Originally posted by Hidden
Well, maybe I misunderstood Razorwing's stance at some point, but the choice of words was very different. Phitt said his work could be used when he was done. The impression I got here is that nobody can use the Silgrad Tower assets under any circumstance... well maybe just a few. Personally, I think it would be unique anyway because it's the only mod creating the Morrowind mainland, but if you plan on letting others use your assets after you're done, you should say so. That would motivate others to join much better and hopefully avoid a few "questionable" posts I've seen on BSF recently. Wink

Eh, maybe I should let Razorwing respond first.

bob, most modders actually do give you permission for a file even if their mod isn't done. You just can't expect them to upload the file just for you before their first public release date. And you're on your own most of the time. They'll give you models and scripts but if you don't even know how to make them playable or put them in an .esp file that's your problem.

Take my team for example. We'll let you use anything you want, but we won't upload it for you on RapidShare or some other place. You'll have to wait until our first release, download the whole mod like everyone else and then figure out what parts to extract and how to put them in your own mod. (That still doesn't mean you don't have our "blessing". Tongue)

This is the intend of my reply, not that modders and teams wouldn't allow use but they wouldn't give their files out for use until they are done with thier project.

Enjoy
Diet Bob