Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Elder Scrolls "notability purge" on Wikipedia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Grey just let me know that the Black Marsh article on Wikipedia has been deleted. Apparently that was part of a larger "notability purge" within the WP community, which attempts to remove articles dealing with fictional universes based on some nebulous concept of "notability", apparently based on some count of independent sources.

Whatever.

What it means for people like us is that Wikipedia will probably cease to be a source for events within the ES universe. Apparently the approved method would be for these articles to be moved to a "wikia" devoted to the ES universe. However these WP admins, like judgesurreal777, have adopted a slash-and-burn approach that goes straight to deletion without bothering with intermediate steps.

So if you have a favorite ES article on WP, you should look it up on with Google and go to it. If it is not listed, back up to the Google link and hit "Cached"; if the spider hasn't revisited, the old stuff may still be there. At that point, you can save the source of that page to your own machine and have it (mostly) available for reference and addition to an ES wikia, if one exists. This approach will only be viable for a few days at best. Stuff may also be salvageable from WPs in other languages, as their policies may differ.

I found WP's approach to be very autocratic. I think the idea is to keep fanfic out, but their approach does not distinguish between something written by one guy in his basement and stuff enjoyed by millions of us in our basements. Smile

Because of the time element, I made this thread "important". If not felt to be appropriate, feel free to change.

Steve
Personally, I use UESP.net for my ES info. But UESP misses alot of information about different provinces, etc.
They deleted the Skyrim article too. Sad
aw, this is really sad. But I usually find my info on the Imperial Library or on the UESP, the info there is far better anyway.
Howdy

And I like the attention note they add to the top of the pages

This article or section describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style.
Please rewrite this article to explain the fiction more clearly and provide non-fictional perspective.

Lets see ... a non fictional persepctive of ES anyone want to take a crack at it :lmao:

Enjoy
Bob
Personally I think it's fair enough for things there's not a lot of info on like each province. They should just be on one article about all the regions or something.

LOL that they seem to have missed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsweyr though but killed all the other provinces.
I did retrieve five provincial articles from Wikipedia using the Google cache method: Cyrodiil, Skyrim, Elsweyr, Morrowind and Black Marsh. They are (hopefully) enclosed in the attached 7Z.

Steve
The artcles for Elder Scrolls on Wikipedia were most of the time directly copied from the UESP, and other times they were done poorly by people who wern't that great at lore.

The UESP is far better.
the plain wiki ES articles were total ass, not only omiting information but also including grossly inacurate facts.

use UESP, its a hundred times better (though it has some errors once in a while its not nearly as bad). or go strait to the source at TIL.
Quote:Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard
The artcles for Elder Scrolls on Wikipedia were most of the time directly copied from the UESP, and other times they were done poorly by people who wern't that great at lore.

The UESP is far better.

And before that they were TIL copies Smile
Seems kinda strangely done though..
Pages: 1 2