Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: How do I make a new Inventory Item Model?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Im quite noob at 3d moddeling and im wondering how to make a new Item?
I know how to make static ones but I did like to learn how to properly make havoked inventory items.

Im using 3dsMax 9 and the latest NifTools exporter.

I have done the mesh but when i export it and try the havok in the CS it doesnt work at all. Not even falling.

I have attached the complete nif (after export and NifScope) and the max file (before export and NifScope)

Also it whould be nice to see a guide on making Inventory Items. I only find guides for static meshes.
I'm having exactly the same problem as you with my Drinking Horn mesh for Skyrim. Notice that the collision does work (scale it up, you won't be able to walk through it) but it seems to be treating the object more like a static than an item. If anyone could shed some light on this I would be very happy.

Edit: I just put your object in game and it worked flawlessly, so I'm not sure what your problem is. It did sound very much like mine though.
Short answer: you can't at this time directly export Havok-enabled collision in Max. I believe you can with the Blender Scripts. My goal is to take amorilia's scripts (based on entim's findings) and put those into the Max plugin so direct exporting will be possible. For now though, what we have done is to construct both the model and collision in Max and then take a previously-Havokked model and edit it in NifSkope, substituting our NiTriStrips nodes for the old ones and our bhkNiTriStripsShape nodes for those in the old collision. Of course, this is unsophisticated. You can change parameters and Havok materials, but everything still acts a little like a corkbulb root. Big Grin

Here's the model I used, which is originally from Razorwing. He'll probably weigh in here as well.

Steve
Just downloaded the latest version of the Blender nif scripts, and they do indeed export havoked collision data. All I did was re-export my model with them and it worked perfectly. :bananarock:
Thanks for the tip. :goodjob:

I actually took one of the item nifs from "The Lost Spires" and used it for reference pasting in the collision and mesh. You said it was working for you? Do i need to create a new item with the uppdated mesh or even a new plugin? Because its not working in my plugin. ?(

Edit: And not in a new one either. I have disscovered that when i drop it at a very solid object like a barrel or a big stone it will behave strangely and then rotate somewhat before it falls further.
Got it working by using the PiggyBack nif.

Tnx a bunch. Big Grin

Edit: But how do i optimize the havok mesh like you have done with the bottle?
dragonclaw7000: If you're using version 0.2.16 of the plugin, you may be better off using basic shape for collision. You should wander over to the NifTools forum and check out some of my posts (same name there) about collision under 0.2.16. tazpn and others were very helpful over there. My advice would be to use the bhkRigidBody modifier on copied subsets of your mesh. But read tazpn's stuff thoroughly; he totally revamped things from the old NifProps days. Big Grin

Steve
Can i UV map a model in 3dMAX 9 and then export it as a nif whereafter i take the NiTriStrips -> NiTriStripsData and paste it into your PiggyBack nif? It dos not seem to work. The CS will crash when i put an item using the model into the cell im working on.
Can you UL your NIF before piggybacking? I'll play with it and share what I learn.
Heres the original without "piggybacking" Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3