Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Which accent for Nord?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
IG has per my request, done some Nord lines as a Scot. The response has been mixed, Smile and though that's still on the table 'cause I kinda like it Big Grin, I want to start a discussion as to what accent would work best for Nords, both men & women.

Have at it,
Steve
Well Scottish is considered a Nordic Race

But for ES that accent just doesn't seem to fit very well

I like the bold and Brash, the "Manly" Nordic voice... It's not really an accent but more of a tone and volume that makes it

I suppose a scot accent would work if it was toned properly and given the correct exclamation on certain syllables

Enjoy
Bob
Anything that has to do with Germanic tribes should do.
For the Europeans in the audience, can you think of Germanic celebrities whose accents seem to fit? That might give us a regional feel to work with. I think I speak for the chronological elders when I say Colonel Klink is not what we're looking for. Tongue

Steve
Quote:Originally posted by bob196045
Well Scottish is considered a Nordic Race

But for ES that accent just doesn't seem to fit very well

I like the bold and Brash, the "Manly" Nordic voice... It's not really an accent but more of a tone and volume that makes it

I suppose a scot accent would work if it was toned properly and given the correct exclamation on certain syllables

Enjoy
Bob

I see your point. Were you basing those comments on my recordings? If so, a re-recording using a far more brash Scottish accent will not represent a problem for me. At the time, I went for a more amiable approach as I was thinking befitted goodly folk of the likes of Bruma. The tone was merely an affectation and could easily be brushed up.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'correct exclamation on certain syllables' part, though. Did you mean 'emphasis' by 'exclamation'? Could you offer an example by giving me a line and italicising the voiced emphasis in the file and how you think it should be different? This may be a question of a conflict between what sounds best for the accent and what sounds best for the acting. I'm not so sure.

On the other hand, you may be referring to an entirely different accent with genuine Scandinavian roots. In which case, I think I would struggle a bit as I'm not sufficiently familiar with the accent and its inflections, despite my love of all things Nordic. Quite ironic, really!

Apart from Bob's suggestions, myself and Steve Carrow spoke about having different subsections of voices. The work involved and the additional increase in filesize would appear to be prohibitive but the promise of such a thing as a change in accent in moving from one area of the new game world to another with the accent changing, almost as is done in many places in reality, would be a major innovation. Scottish and then a 'similarly toned' Real-Nord equivalent would be the outcome of such a plan, like discriminating between 'Chorrol Nord' and 'Bruma Nord' of separate clans.

- Steve (Ibsen's Ghost)
Thanks Ibsen

No I wasn't basing it on anything I had not listened to your voice work yet.

Yes emphasis on sylablles is what I meant

If you take a common Nord Line

Thats how I like it Bold and Direct

The emphasis would be on the B and O and the LD would be short

again its more of a tone

The common thought is Nordic Voices are Deep and Brash, ( it must be the movies) as we all know anyone can have any voice

But that is how the Nord Voices are portrayed in ES as Deep, Brash thundering type voices

I try to get around to hearing your lines and offer whatever little suggestion I can

Enjoy
Bob
I made a sample quite a while ago now of my version of a Nord as they appear in Oblivion (the vanilla version with an American accent that they also use for the Orcs). I was practising to see which voices I could cope with okay at the time. I then compiled them into a 'voice acting portfolio'. The attached file was the result.

Although it's not got the accent of Nord as we would recognise it (i.e. Scandinavian), it nonetheless may represent a better model for your observation on the 'emphasis of syllables'. The question is where to go with it from there, unless people are happy with what is more or less a replication of vanilla OB.

I can't exactly get you a sample of 'harsher Scot' right now (everyone in my house is in bed!), it should give people an idea of the options.
One of the hardest hurdles in this forum will probably be putting words to our opinions. My hope is that the more vocally trained and adept can help us with those; once the experts and the n00bZ share some vocabulary, life will get easier. Smile

So as a n00b, my take on the difference of delivery (not necessarily accent) between Imperial and Nord males:

- Imperials are stentorian, which I interpret as "everything sounds like a command, even when it's not." Smile
- Nords are blustery, which I interpret as "everything sounds like a invitation to a fight, even when it's not." Big Grin

Just idle thoughts,
Steve
Now that was a good way to put it ! :lmao:

And true as well :check:

Enjoy
Bob
Sweetly nailed definitions!
Pages: 1 2