Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Region Updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
03-12-2009:

The Forgotten Forest and the Silgrad Hills have been generated. Following an internal discussion, we won't be adding any more playable regions until after we reach a stage where we can release what we have so far (ST 3.0). In the meantime, the Borderlands and the new region will be generic, inaccessible areas.

black[/hr]

05-05-2009:

Only the Forgotten Forest, Silgrad Hills, Borderlands, our as-yet undefined region (Big Grin), and Velothi Mountains remain to be generated.

Deepen Moor, Deepen Meadows, Dumac, Bitter Coast, Ashunor Valley, Silgrad City region, Steadhelm region, and Soluthis region have all been generated.

black[/hr]

25-01-2008:

All of the claim maps for our interior landmass are now finished. To make sure that all cells belonged to one region, I plugged each set of coordinates into the CS. There needed to be a few changes on the following claims (I already posted about some of these in region claim threads). If you are responsible for one of these regions, make sure you're using the updated map.

- Ashunor Valley (Updated map)
- Bitter Coast South (Updated map)
- Deepen Moor (Updated map)
- Dumac (Updated map)

black[/hr]
OVERVIEW
With all of the maps and the updates, here is what our region overview would look like:

(The single yellow cell in the middle is at (0,0), and the red lines show the axes - Legend is below)
[Image: normal_GridComplete01.png]
LEGEND:
Each cell is coloured according to the region it belongs to (with the exception of 0,0 which belongs to Deepen Moor)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Green = Deepen Meadows Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Brown = Silgrad Hills Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Purple = Silgrad City Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Cyan = Steadhelm Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Yellow = Dumac Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Teal = Deepen Moor Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Red = Reich Parkeep/Soluthis Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Magenta = Ashunor Valley Region (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Dark Green = Forgotten Forest (Map)
[INDENT][/INDENT]Blue = Bitter Coast Region
[INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT](Map of north claim)
[INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT](Map of northern Latrys Island claim)
[INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT](Map of southern Latrys Island claim)
[INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT](Map of south claim)

Link to region concept map
No Velothi Mountains?
Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
No Velothi Mountains?

Interior landmass (I meant the playable area). No Velothi Mountains yet. I want to wait before I post a claim for that region.

Unless you want to count the white area.
I was discussing a technical situation with sandor. To minimize border conflicts, you now have to submit the generated content before you start customizing the landscape. I updated the Region Guidelines. Also added a bit to the Limitations section.
Some of you have been wondering about what's been happening with the Deepen Moor region. Well, there's been a fair bit actually. It has been a few months since these region claims have been put up, but unfortunately not many people seem all that interested in them. That is why I'm going to try to get the unclaimed ones generated myself. With luck, we should have a decorated landmass sometime in a few months.

So this is could be your last chance if you wanted to pick up a region. I'll take claims down as I create their presets. Right now, I'm planning to work on the regions in this order:

Deepen Moor
Deepen Meadows
Bitter Coast
Ashunor Valley
Forgotten Forest

There are also going to be two new regions in our Oblivion mod. The Borderlands region, which is an ancient battlefield located northwest of Soluthis now covered in snow and ice, and another region located in the hills northwest of Silgrad Tower which is going to be discussed either internally or publicly. After both new regions are generated, we'll do the Velothi Mountains.

The Deepen Moor region has been generated, and I'm posting some screenshots here in this thread, as well as a video showing the region during the day.

I'd like to point out a few things first though.
  • All screenshots and the video show the region as a WiP.
  • I discussed the region objects with Razorwing, and there are a few changes. The new rocks are currently from a resource called the Blackwood Rocks Project by IAMTHEEMPEROR. We may be modelling similar rocks later on that can replace them as those rocks are retextures of Vanilla OB objects. The trees were created by Razorwing.
  • The region uses static objects as the fog. I might change this later, but I kind of like how the fog rolls as you're moving around. I especially like how different the region will look between day and night hours.
  • Mucksheets were placed on the ground to cover the default water.
  • Changes were made the landscape. As it turns out, changing the landscape using the Heightmap Editor is much less efficient than changing the landscape using the Landscape Editor. Changing the entire region's land shape took about six hours, but the final file size of the ESP that did that was only about 3MB. So that means that if you need to make a change to the landscape, no matter how large or small, always do it in the Landscape Editor.
Screenshots:
Day
Night

Video:
The FPS was hit rather hard while the computer was recording the movie, if you're wondering about the lag. I mainly just want to show how the region looks.
LINK.

And there you go. =) I'll be posting some dungeon claims for the Deepen Moor region sometime in the near future. A few caves in the next couple of days, egg mines when the Kwama creatures become available, and tombs when the large Velothi tileset becomes available.
Starting to look really nice. It all blends well together effectively and there is an appropriate amount of fog hanging in the air :goodjob:
Which rocks and textures are you using?
Thanks IG. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by blackbird
Which rocks and textures are you using?
As I said above, the rocks are currently from a resource called The Blackwood Rocks Project by IAMTHEEMPEROR. They may be replaced by new models later on.

As for the landscape textures, they are a mix from Vanilla Oblivion, our mod, and ones I recoloured from both. I also recoloured the Blackwood grass so it matches the ground textures better.
I'm sorry for not reading/seeing it.
I like the atmosphere provided by the fog and the colours in general. If the fog does end up causing an fps hit it wouldn't be too hard to reduce the amount of particles it uses (is it the fog used in some of the vanilla ruins?).

One thing I've spotted in the screenshots is the noticable tiling effect on the mip maps of the mucksheets. It might be worth making the mip maps a bit more uniform to get rid of the tiling.

Even though it's just a WIP at the moment I think it looks incredible. :goodjob:
Pages: 1 2