Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Wanna be in the team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm Dephenistrator (Defenestrate means to throw someone out a window.) I'm a heavy modder for Oblivion and have produce some quality mods, yet each one leads me to wanting to do something more. I originally stumbled onto this site looking up nifskope when I read about what you guys were doing and I went nuts! I've always told my friends that a remake of Morrowind would be awesome and here I find you all actually doing it!
Naturally after hearing that you were open for new members I had to attempt to join, but I did not throw in my membership just because I could. I'm aspiring to be a video game programmer later in life and I'm very comfortable with programming. (in fact, this nerd does it for fun.) I've made hordes of mods and personal game adjustments Including the following.
Planting and growing mod: plant your own plants, any plant with seeds.... then watch them grow, produce offspring(tiny plants which will grow too.) and eventually die. I took the liberty of adding that programming to all the plants in the game to create a more dynamic feel to the games vegetation.
Necromancy mod: Bring back the dead! Collect bones to assemble skeletal slaves or resurrect a fallen foe as an undead. you necromancy skill increases as you use it and can resurrect things as better undead. Use commands to coordinate their patrols or just modify their equipment.
Spells and Effects: Soul gem fusing, Three common souls(filled) make a greater(also filled). An entire re balance to the equipment in the game for a leveled experience that varies every level up to 48. Stuff like lights that only shine in the day or night. Spells that can teleport, switch places with an NPC, Turn people into trees(my favorite.) Changing weather including new weather types, Clone yourself and command it, magically create items such as barrels crates or a tent with a fire and sack, and a summonable ghost horse.
Forgotten Islands: A project I starting right before oblivion came out... very annoying. Anyway, now it's in Oblivion and has a bunch of unique quests and cities. It is however a work in progress and this is actually the first time I've ever mentioned it publicly. (No one else knows!)
I'm very familiar with both tes3 and tes4, and have never done a group project before, but on request for my friends I have made mods tailored to other's expectations and I actually enjoyed that more than making my own stuff.
As to what I specialize in, Spell scripting, AI packages, Quests, and general scripting. I like 3D modeling, but I'm no master. (I look at my Milkshape 3D and cry.) But, as far as effects go, I'm good at Bending around Oblivions programming to add new game aspects like gargoyles that turn to stone in the day and creature at night.

Eagerly awaiting a response,
Dephenistrator.
Howdy

Welcome to Silgrad

Such enthusiasm can not go un-punished

Jump right in and grab a claim :yes:

Their are some things you will need to do first Big Grin

Not quite sure what they all are since I do not mod for TES4, not yet at least

But I know Sandor, TID, Sacarrow and/ or Razorwing will be along soon to tell you what they are.

Until then, just relax and enjoy our many topics of conversation

I do know their are some important areas you should look at (see links below)

Modders' abbreviations

http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/board.php?boardid=5

and of course their is the all important Guidelines Thread

[TEAM] Silgrad Tower's Team Guidelines

SO sit back, get a cold one and read away

and again Welcome

as always

Enjoy
Bob
I'll chime in with Bob in a warm welcome to the team Smile

Things here are run almost like an "organized chaos" kind of way and I like to think all team members have a large degree of freedom in the jobs they work on with the team. But it's hard to define the bounds of the chaos, or in other words the overall plan of the mod, in a few paragraphs that would make sense to a newcomer. So we've cut up defined work orders that a newcomer can get a grip on without needing to study our history for hours on end.

We call those work orders "claims". They come in many shapes and forms but the most common is claims in cities and consist of modding interiors for homes, shops, guilds and the like. Included in the work order is modding one or more characters, creating their AI, writing dialogue for them, creating a pathgrid in the home, and any other broad components Bethesda used in their houses (lighting etc). If you're interested in creating a quest then the best way to start is usually to pick up a house claim because then you get to decide on the characters and their dialogue and can design them from the get-go to be an integral part of your quest. That's not to say you can't make a quest without a house claim, because I'm sure no-one would mind if you "borrowed" a character someone else created in the mod for your quest. (Always best to ask first in those cases though, which you could do by making a post in your quest's dev thread)

The work we need done the most is partly questmaking and partly straightforward exterior modding. We have a lot of work ahead of us to get the road network up and running for instance and that has to be hand-modded to look decent. Not that I'm necessarily trying to pitch that particular job to you if you don't find it appealing Big Grin Above all else we have to have fun when we work with the team, so naturally you should work on the kind of jobs that interest you the most. But if several kinds of job interests you equally much then I think it'd make sense to prioritize the kind we need the most of to get the next release done.

In either case it would probably be a good idea in my opinion to start off with a house claim to get familiarized with the claiming process. Those claims are listed by city in the Claims & Coordination section of the forum. If you want a direct suggestion then mine would be Soluthis1217. If you have any questions fire away Smile
Thnx Everyone for the welcome, now I get to put my previously useless skills to the test.
:wave:

I'm Steve The Voice Guy. My thing is managing the voice acting: trying to find VAs, get them lines and then get their lines in-game. I am no VA; I'm actually a programmer by trade. In fact I've done a spot of as-yet-unreleased work on TES4Gecko in order to make VA-related activities easier.

Having an experienced scripting guy around will be very cool, for both TES4 & TES3 (if you're interested). One scripting note: ST does not use OBSE.

Good luck,
Steve