Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Rope Bridge Modeling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Ive decided to take up the Rope bridge job, so i can help in this iteneray to make morrowind in oblivion Smile

Firstly i started with concepts here.
[Image: th_Bridge1.png] [Image: th_Bridge2.png] [Image: th_Bridge3.png]

Hope u like em. Ill eventually start on everything here

[Image: th_THEBRIDGE.jpg] [Image: th_thebridge3.jpg] [Image: th_thebridge4.jpg] [Image: th_thebridge2.jpg]
It'll be great to have ropebridges! Thumbs-up for making them :goodjob:

I think the second one looks terrific, but it also looks very hi-poly. I think you can save a lot of polys in that part of the model by making the rope meshes smooth and instead let the threedimensional impression be conveyed by the texture's normalmap.
Thanx for the tip. Much appreciated =)
ooh, spline work Smile
nice.
Is this what u have in mind?
[Image: th_Bridge1Made.jpg] [Image: th_Bridge2-1.jpg]

[Image: th_saved2.jpg] [Image: th_sidebridge.jpg]
5678 polys.
Quote:Originally posted by BusterWolF
[...]
5678 polys.

It depends on how much of it is a work-in-progress.
- The posts on each side look very blocky; perhaps you could chamfer them some, to break the corner's sharpness?
- The vertical ropes stick out outside the bounds of the top horisontal ropes, showing their top polygon. Try reducing the vertical ropes width and/or move the vertices in place so that the top polygon isn't visible (delete the top polygon afterwards).
- I think it would look more realistic if the horisontal block that is attached to the twin posts on either side was made of wood.
- The model needs to be uvw-mapped properly.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Quote:Originally posted by BusterWolF
[...]
5678 polys.

It depends on how much of it is a work-in-progress.
- The posts on each side look very blocky; perhaps you could chamfer them some, to break the corner's sharpness?
- The vertical ropes stick out outside the bounds of the top horisontal ropes, showing their top polygon. Try reducing the vertical ropes width and/or move the vertices in place so that the top polygon isn't visible (delete the top polygon afterwards).
- I think it would look more realistic if the horisontal block that is attached to the twin posts on either side was made of wood.
- The model needs to be uvw-mapped properly.

Thank you, this was a small update but ill surely work on what u suggested.
Thanks again, i mean it =) =)
Im emigrating somewhere which still use a lot of rope bridges and similar. For smaller spans of up to about 5 metres they just use logs placed side by side with the tops shaved to become flat, or a woven bamboo bridge. The rope bridges tend to be 10+ metres.

Googles these similar examples. Will take a lot of structural photos in july when we visit.

This is from travelpod.com
[Image: overland05112683324020-bamboobridge.jpg]

this one from molon.de
[Image: 03BamboobridgetotheBidayuhouse.jpg]
Oh yeah i really like this one. I never tryed to google it because its just a rope bridge that everyone sees. So i tried to make my on unique one but... uhh considering what i made i dunno. I may have to consider google perhaps.
Thanks for the info rikious :goodjob:
google's great, but these are based on the more unusual ones i saw in Malaysian Borneo. They have some brilliant suspension bridges as well, all rope, vine, and wood.

I do like yours though, i would personally just have the log posts but tilt them away from the bride to counterbalance the weight of the bridge itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5