Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: SHC53 "Steadhelm Ferry" [Finished]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Nice stuff. I like the little fire :goodjob: . It makes it look suitably 'hovel-like'. Feel free to amend any details on the porch as well. I thought our ferry-master might be a fan of fungi, perhaps a collector. If you need any help with dialogue, let me know. I can also put a voice to the character if you wish, unless the ferry master is indeed a Dunmer. In which case, AndySlayer might want to take over this work. After all, here's our generic Dunmer voice artist.
Thanks a lot. I really don't know how to do dialogue, but I'll give it a go using the guide you sent me and let you know how that goes. I like the fungi collector idea a lot. I'll see what I can do with that.

My idea was that the ferrymaster's family have been running the crossing for generations - this is why I've added a son, who has other ideas about how he wants to spend his life.

I was thinking of a quite traditional Dunmer family who still cling to the Tribunal Temple and don't believe all the rumours about the Tribunes being dead. When I thought about it, there must still be quite a lot of people who haven't given up the Temple. Such beliefs don't disappear overnight.
Excellent ideas! They sound perfect. Personally, I haven't a clue about the technical side of dialogue. I only know how to write it. You were probably sent the guide by someone other then myself.
Yes, you're right. Now I think about it, it was sandor who sent it.

By the way I am moving house tomorrow, so you may not hear from me for a while. Don't worry I have not gone inactive.
Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Here's a first look at the shack interior!

Now I need to work on the NPCs. Any comments?
It looks nice! Smile

The firepit can't be used in this type of shack as explained -=here=-.
Good point about the firepit. I guess I could put it outside, and have a smaller heater or something inside the shack itself.
Claim and NPCs are now finished, except for the AI and dialogue, which I'm afraid just confused me.

Also I haven't been able to find that brazier you were talking about. What is its ID in the game? Also the boiling kettle isn't there because I haven't got round to sending it to Razorwing yet. Smile

But progress has been made, nevertheless.
Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Claim and NPCs are now finished, except for the AI and dialogue, which I'm afraid just confused me.

Also I haven't been able to find that brazier you were talking about. What is its ID in the game? Also the boiling kettle isn't there because I haven't got round to sending it to Razorwing yet. Smile

But progress has been made, nevertheless.

These models belong to the Velothi tileset. They're definitely interior models but I wonder if we could get away with using them in a Shack. You may have to double-check this with sandor first. Go to Static-ST-Velothi-Decoration-Interior and you should find 'StInVelAshpit01' (0104F1A8) and 'StInVelBrazier' (0104F1A6). I would have thought that something small like a reduced-size ashpit could be placed on top of something non-flammable and used as a low-risk source of heat together with a small fire node but I may be over-ruled on that one.
Nice work Deeza! The dough thingy wasn't one of my finer moments though, it's kinda embarrassing. I'll jot down a complete remake of that model on my to-do-list Smile

IG's comment made me go check, and it turns out there's an error in our mod. There is a static brazier just like IG said but there's also a light object: Light > ST > Velothi > StLightVelBrazier however it is pointing to the wrong model, namely the static. It should be pointing to the light with animated fire, found in Data\meshes\ST\Lights\Dunmer\VelothiBrazierFire.nif. I'll make a bugfix to the light entry promptly. The light entry just makes it more convenient to use the brazier, one can always use the static brazier and place a fire on top of it like everyone's done in the past.

But all that's beside the topic of this thread because a brazier wouldn't fit in a shack. It's not an object one would find in a domestic setting. There's many other light objects that would though, most of which are found in Light > ST > Lights > Dunmer. A paper lantern could work, or the floor lamp, or one of the three candles. The redware candles are used by middleclass Dunmer and so they probably wouldn't be very suitable in a shack in my opinion and naturally the glass candles are for upperclass Dunmer.

There are a few alternatives to Steve's firepit. The first one that comes to my mind is the general Dunmer hearth: Static > ST > Furniture > Dunmer > StFurnDunHearth01part#. The model comes as two nif files which need to be placed on top of one another, i.e. both instances need to have the same xyz position, same rotation and same scale. It's kinda nice because it has billowing smoke coming from it. There's also a hearth that can be used by Redoran Dunmer, found in Static > ST > Redoran > Houses > Interior > StInRedHearth. Redoran Dunmer can use the general hearth but non-Redorans shouldn't use the Redoran hearth. Then again I suppose a Redoran hearth would look weird in a shack whether the occupant was Redoran or not, but the hearth would probably fit quite nice in my opinion.
What would be a good heat source in a shack anyway? As always, listen to the guy in charge of your region before me, but I consider the firepit acceptable if and only if the shack is not on a platform. The idea is that (as TID pointed out to me) that many stones would be too darn heavy unless there was earthen support. One possible acceptable compromise especially if there is a cluster of shacks would be to have an exterior communal firepit.

Randon thoughts,
Steve
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6