Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Rickious Concept Art: Medieval architecture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Right, as asked for from Razorwing in >>THIS THREAD<<

Quote:1. Medieval houses. There's been some concept art created, further up, but it didn't pan out because it looked intrinsically nice - but more fantasy than medieval. I researched it myself, spending hours in the local library - but to no avail. The best concept art I could find there was actually in comic books Big Grin Sadly those concepts had very little detail. I found some rather good reference drawings on the net and I've made a few pieces of what could become a modular exterior tileset, but I wouldn't mind starting over from scratch and I would probably do that in either case because it didn't turn out as well as it should have.

Ideally I think the medieval houses should have a German influence to them, to tie in with the name of the town where they'll primarily be used, i.e. Reich Parkeep. They may ultimately be used more widely than that but that won't be determined until the models are finished. When I say German infleunces I don't necessarily mean they should borrow design elements from actual medieval German houses; it might be better if they borrowed design elements that might make the viewer think of medieval Germany. Or in other words, whichever you think would be best.

The concepts won't have to take into account that the models might be made up of a modular exterior tileset because it can go either way, either a tileset or single models. It depends on what would work best with the design you would create. I think I would need two house types to create the models; more would be great of course, but I should be able to use the two house types as guidance for creating additional house types beyond the first two.

The houses should preferably be overloaded with details because I'm aiming to make them very hi-poly, though naturally the details - such as a window - could be drawn undetailed on the house concept and more detailed in a separate sketch.

SO... Here are my first concepts based on research of medieval and in particular European and German Medieval architecture.

First is a Germanic-looking castle. Dont know if you would require one but it was part of my quick study of the buildings.
[Image: 4f3345f8.jpg]

Then are these variations on Medieval town houses which i hope are what you are looking for. As with all my concepts i am able to tweak, change and redraw/rescale details etc
[Image: 3cb9ec9b.jpg]
[Image: 3baafd4e.jpg]
[Image: 0cece5dd.jpg]
i think its too modern,but its great to evil towns. :goodjob:
Reminds me of Dracula...
Looks like gothic or germanic houses would look like I think.
Will have to see what Razorwing thinks on return from Cyprus, and the other leaders and oh-wise modellers. The castle was just a study and want asked for, but i thought it may inspire a different style of mountain based castle instead of the usual 'Imperial' design.

The homes I think are exactly what Razor asked for, I can do more variations on these and also these can be slate or thatch roof. Depends on the Financial level. Maybe if i do a slightly lower-class version with variations too. But at the same time, its better if these all follow the same architecture style so i will stick with similar features.
its looks abit off. to be honest, i just cant put my finger on it...not sure. I bet it will look much better if it were abit wider.
Buster... the castle? or the house? If the castle dont worry as its possibly irrelevant. If the house, It is based on a real house which looked just as unstable. I think maybe 1 roof to centralise its gravity, OR the chimney in the centre for the same reason, OR a row of 3 instead of 2.

Any and all of my drawings and concepts can be changed so i appreciate comments like these. Perfection comes no other way! :goodjob:
yeah, thats right i mean the houses. ok, i like the ones that are attached to the other houses which are labeled "arches", not really into the single ones. As you said "put one roof and chimneys to equalise the balance and thats all" i too agree. I also think is just make the base foundations wider. I really like the design and the arch patten so keep that going, it looks great :goodjob:. Since were talking about morrowind to oblivion instead of drawing many windows like the original thought of german influence but instead just make 1 or 2 big windwos in the front. Try to focus on that and then smaller but same style of windows at top. Then it should do the trick.
I was just going off Razor saying loads of details, so plenty of smaller windows and wood etc.

I will do a few more, just working on a few other things too, will get em done for Razors return so the more input the better. Same with the synthesis machine concept art im doing, if you can look >>HERE!<< and give some opinions.
Let me know if this is finished or if you require more varieties etc and i can get onto it! Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Senten
I think its too modern,but its great to evil towns. :goodjob:
:lol: How is that evil?
Pages: 1 2 3