Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Stonewastes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Be careful about using a lot of rocks, especially the large ones. Havok render each texture once for each instance of use, so if you have 100 of the same rock, it has 100 instances of that texture. That sort of stuff is very CPU intensive (not as much for the GPU). I'd cut back on some of those rocks, and scale others up. As a rule of thumb, you can scale rocks up to 200% without a lot of visual quality loss. What I'm getting at is that a natural stone wall would be better accomplished by making new rock models more suited to the purpose, made in similar fashion to bethesda's rocks, using bethesda's textures.
Quote:Originally posted by aberneth
Be careful about using a lot of rocks, especially the large ones. Havok render each texture once for each instance of use, so if you have 100 of the same rock, it has 100 instances of that texture. That sort of stuff is very CPU intensive (not as much for the GPU). I'd cut back on some of those rocks, and scale others up. As a rule of thumb, you can scale rocks up to 200% without a lot of visual quality loss. What I'm getting at is that a natural stone wall would be better accomplished by making new rock models more suited to the purpose, made in similar fashion to bethesda's rocks, using bethesda's textures.

Well, that's some very valuable information.
Quote:Originally posted by aberneth

Yeah, I forgot to mention that earlier.

Welcome Aberneth. :goodjob:
That it the reason I am creating the rockwall models.
from memory
3 x wall sections
1 x corner section (the normal wall sections can be slotted together to form corners)
2 x gate sections.

quick question; if you scale models in oblivion to -1 and flip it 180 on the x axis does it create a reversed model or do the textures play up?

If you look back in the thread you should see some rockwall renders from Blender.
The textures I still need to fix but I've figured out an effective way of making it easier to do the uvs and keep the textures small without making it look too ordinary. The initial textures on those renders are just a generic thing.

I suppose we'd need to discuss the geology of the area, It will make it easy for me if we can make these walls from massive slate slabs or similar style.

I will get back onto this soon, I've had some stuff I had to deal with.
It's all over now though.
i really like the swamp i hope this gets release Smile one day
I've never used negative scaling. I never even thought to do so.

As far as geology is concerned, I'd think that they would be relatively smooth stone. Flat, chiseled rock tends to be a trait of fresh rock in an environment conducive to preservation (dry, stable, no plant growth). So, smooth and mossy. I can whip up a rock texture for you, if you want.
Speak with Tlo aberneth,and please make the Wilderness to beautifull. :yes:
Quote:Originally posted by Senten

Nah, you dont need my permission as long as its miniscule. Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Tlo1048
Quote:Originally posted by Senten

Nah, you dont need my permission as long as its miniscule. Big Grin

Who know?!Big Grin
I think that this can be archived now? Apart from one interior it is complete.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5