Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Gnaar Mok
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Basic ideas and background: Edit: more info near the bottem of the page

Recently re-enforced by the Hlaalu higher-ups, the sleepy village of Gnaar Mok is now a key stopover and checkpoint for Nordic ships from the north, and even has a few Nordic inhabitants who have grown used to the slower pace of life here. The town is now centered around the central tree, and newer, more permenant, Hlaalu-styled buildings have been built around it creating a burgening town center.

Raynasa Rethan has also ordered the relocation and expansion of Arenim Manor with the intent of protecting the growing economic intrests of Nordic aliance and trade, and the traditional standby of fishing. And not only has she invested in the new building of the town center and manor, but the pier has been expanded out farther into the water as well.

Alsme Arenim, the Hlaalu House Mother who governs in Gnaar Mok, controls a larger force of Hlaalu soldiers than ever before and is still in the process of bringing the town into order so it can grow. Arenim hopes that the expansion and success of Gnaar Mok will continue, and eventually rival the likes of Suran and Hla Oad, becoming the chief Hlaalu city under Balmora, thus securing her promotion to Councilor.

Unfortunetly, this expansion and investment comes at a price, the lives of the citizens haven't really changed much at all, in fact life is worse for them in some ways. The Cammona Tong see all this as simply more woodwork to slip into, and consequently have an everstrengthing hold on the underbelly of the town, despite the best effots of Almse Arenim and her guards.

And the smugglers, well, while you may not actually see them, they are still here in full force, but you'll have to be crafty to discover their techniques... (I sense fun with RAI Big Grin)

Quests Available

Main Gnaar Mok Quest: Secret of Arenim Manor

Ask around town and they'll tell you that most the changes have been quite recent and that no one is really sure what caused the sudden Hlaalu interest, but you are refered to the local bartender (a nord) who reportedly has Hlaalu connections. Eventually you'll discover whats behind it all in this quest.

Main Cammona Tong Quest: Double Agent

Take'em out! Alsme Arenim's Captian of the Guard is looking for a uniquely talented individual to follow a dangerous lead for him, that will eventually lead to either a reduction in power for the Tong in Gnaar Mok or the death of the Captain.

Main Smuggling Quest: Trifecta

Join one of the three smuggling groups in the area and work hard at not being seen, first you'll be a gofer, then an accomplished smuggler, then you'll eventually move onto trying to muscle the other two groups out of their business as well as their ill-gotten gains. The three groups will be called The Hidden Hands, The Silent Feet and The Bright Eyes

Sitxth House Quest: Cleanup; Isle 7

A traveling temple preist that you meet in the bar tells of the evil that he can sense in the swamps to the north, and refuses to travel any futher toward his destination of the temple in Gnisis, and pleads with you to purify the cave so he can continue.

(If House Dagoth) You will recieve the quest to kill a rogue dagoth in the area of Gnaar Mok from a House Dagoth quest-giver (you won't be told he resides in Illubui) and part of discovering his location is speaking with the preist (or you can just discover it on your own).

Monster Hunter Quest: Man O'War

Recently the fisher-mer of Gnaar Mok have been catching less and less fish and encountering more and more Dreughs, ask around and you'll hear of a sighting of a massive Dreugh, a Man O'War. When you track down the one who saw it, you'll have to persuade them to tell you where it is, then you travel there, fight a bunch of Dreughs and eventually kill the Man O'War. You get the Man O'War hide which can be crafted (if i can get specialty armorers to work) into unique amor at the Specialty Armorer's

Concept Art Explantions

1: Arenim Compounds two most important buildings, the longer guard barracks and Arenim Manor

2: The westernernmost building in the compond, the guard tower acts as the lookout point and allows for a view out to sea, the second building is the Captain of the Guards house

3: Fisher-mer shacks on the extended pier as well as the old traveling boat

4: The old plank bridge has been rebuilt and is now wider and sturdier, oh and more fisher-mer shacks

5: The new pier for short stops that don't require traveling around the island, as well as a new shack

6: Three new shacks (but what are they doing so far from the center of town...)

7: An Outfitter and a Specialty Armourer, The Outfitter is run by a Dunmer couple, the woman tends the counter and runs the shop, the man is an accomplished warrior who does the traveling, delivering and protecting.

The Speciallty Armorer is run by a pair of young Dunmer sisters, they repair armor and have a wide variety for sale. And (I'm still not 100% sure about this part yet) they also will create armor from a wide variety of substances, everything from precious jewels, (imagine emerald armor!) to creatures hides/shells (Guar and Shallk armor).

8: The largest building in the town center is The Ice Flow Pub & Inn, which is basically the town watering hole (almost everyone in town will have this place somwhere in their daily routine).
As you can tell from the name the Inn is owned by a Nord. He and his wife (who does the bartending) run the place, as well as a side merchant business run from the same building. They make good money trading with some of the the towns-people, but even more from trading with the fellow Nords and other travelers that are constantly passing through.

The other building is a Magick Shop, run by a Nord couple, the woman is an Alchemist who sells ingredients and potions, the man is a Mage who sells staves, rings, scrolls and other magickal items. The man also has a young apprentice.

9: The Land Dreugh and the town center. The Land Dreugh is little more than a seedy dive of shop (with a dirty little secret), and the center is made of the same material as the Hlaalu houses and is slightly raised from the surrounding muck, and the five buildings around the center are traditional Hlaalu styled buildings (see Construction Set Concept Shots further down the page)

well thats what i'm thinking for the basics of Gnaar Mok, what do you think? i'm open to suggestions and changes to any and all of the info above,
fisher-mer (hehe) from Hla Oad and Gnaar Mok really piss off the Argonians living around the Bitter Coast....
you see, there was a tribe of Argonian that migrated to the thinly populated Bitter Coast to lead a new life far from slavers.... however, the Dunmer wanted them to be killed... in exchange for freedom/life, the Argonians offered to make a new legion fort, Legio Argonis ...and that is on the mainland, southeast of Silgrad Tower....
now in Hlormaren, betmeri guerillas and escaped slaves, mostly Argonians, have settled here. The Hlaalu notice the presence of "illegal" beast-folk and recognize it as a problem... these beast-folk are competing for good fishing places, and racial tensions will rise....
(of course the people don't know that the Argonians live in Hlormaren, few people stray off the path in the swamps of the Bittercoast of Vvardenfell)
but that's something to keep in mind.

and I like how you included the influx of Nords... :goodjob:

and yes... Radiant AI will be very fun... especially when cracking down on criminals! :yes:
update, and i think i'll use that argonian idea for the main quest of the town... we'll see..
remember, these betmeri guerillas are a loosely held coalition of outlaws, bandits, escaped slaves, etc. who are betmeri and want to carved out a betmeri territory here in the east.... sort of like Orsinium in the west....
so maybe like a peace-agreement concluding the Gnaar Mok quests...I mean, fighting is 'good' but I don't want those Argonians to all die.... nor do I want all those smugglers and Cammona Tong in Gnaar Mok to die... actually... I do... I just want the innocent people to not die.... yet! :evil:
I also hope to make the orcish legions in Gnisis and Sadrith Mora have connections with the orcish guerillas... and the argonians of Legio Argonis have connections with the argonian guerillas...

long-story-short, I just don't want any super beast-folk slaughtering spree... whatever, I'll let you know how I feel about certain ideas when they are posted :yes: , and don't forget.... maybe a mission to clean out that 'Carcase of the Saint' cave could be put in... you know, to make sure no more Dagoth creatures are haunting the bogs around Gnaar Mok Big Grin
basically the way i was going to run the "main" quest, was i was going to have most of the quest actually discovering whats REALLY going on (maybe some betrayals, some dead-end leads, a wild-goose chase).

The actual moving of the armies of the Hlaalu and the killing of the betmeri were only going to exist in plan form as the true intent of the Hlaalu, which you find out near the end of the quest, you're then supposed to go: OMG NOOOOO! Then you start a plan to betray Arenim (maybe with someone on the inside who disagrees as well) and possibly warn the betmeri (although that might be to difficult to coordinate)

as for the smugglers and commna tong, well i hope to be able the make the "muscling in" not like a killing spree, but sort of a hostile takeover, (appealing more to the thief archtype), and you can play the cammona tong thing (again: i hope) from either side, it begins on the right side of the law, but who knows how it'll end?

And yeah, gotta clean out that sixth house base
Quote:Originally posted by batman
And yeah, gotta clean out that sixth house base
definitely... Dunmer think of the remnants of the 6th House like liver cancer... and cancer is BAD, real BAD.... my friend's mom has cancer... its terrible....

I like your idea for the betmeri....
I also like you idea for the Cammona Tong.... and since the Cammona Tong is VERY VERY popular with young Dunmer... its not likely to completely go away... but maybe allowing the option of helping or hurting the Cammona Tong?

by the way... both are joinable...
but I am hesitant to allow non-betmeri in the betmeri guerillas... and hesitant to allow non-Dunmer in the Cammona Tong...
you know... since the betmeri are betmeri and the Cammona Tong are Dunmer and hate all outlanders...
The only truly "joinable" faction would be the smugglers group, the Cammona Tong higher-ups will attempt to hire you as a freelancer (a lesser of two evils sorta thing) after you eventually track them down on the Captains orders (i also sublty changed the description of the Cammona Tong Quest) and like i said, the Betmeri may be too complicated to actually include, so it may just be the bit of Hlaalu backstabing.
you mean that once you are on the inside you'll realize the factions at work?
the smugglers manipulated by Cammona Tong... their influencing of the Hlaalu to exterminate the outlanders... etc.etc.?

sounds good... but if you were part of the betmeri guys you find it hard to side with the Cammona Tong... and if Dunmer it would be hard to side with the betmeri... unless you are of a group that they don't mind...
All the quests are separete and independent

SPOILERS AHEAD

i think the "Main" one will work like this: You hear about the rapid and recent expansion, you get sent to the nord, he puts you in contact with the hlaalu at Arenim manor, they tell you a sob story of protection from the Redorans who they insist are going to soon be on the agressive, this seems fishy, but possible, you return to the nord, and ask around town, and come to the conclusion that you were lied to.

At that point someone that you met in Arenim manor appears in the tradehouse, you speak to them, and they tell you that there is more going on and that they need your help, but that they are suspect so they can reveal no more now, but they ask you to return to the manor to look for work with the Hlaalu, you do some small quests or something to gain their trust, then you begin to see the intel they give you and you see there really is going to be a Redoran attack! You confront your contact with this and they don't know what to say, they say they've been set up!

You threaten to go to Arenim, then as you leave and approach the door where she is, you overhear a conversation (or find a document, or whatever) about giving the patsy false information, and about the delivery of the real plans, to be done by you, that way if you're caught, you go down, not them. Of course you open the plans, learn the secret, and with the help of the contact switch the plans with something completly different, and simutaniously blackmail the Hlaalu into not attacking.

END SPOILER

well, what do you think? does it all make sense now?

oh and you should reread some of my posts, i often update them (especially the first) many, many times.

you never jon the tong at all, they just (possibly) hire you as a freelancer (if you agree to it of course) because you know where the guy who wants them dead is, and have access to him
that is good... and also that way you don't need to be actually affiliated with anyone to fulfill the quest... VERY good! a good quest... a very good quest

now... I imagine getting rid of the corruption in Hlaalu will make the Grandmaster happy... you'll probably get kudos from the Hlaalu councilors... Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11