Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Analyzing & Rethinking Vvardenfell geography/climate a little
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Here I will analyze and reflect upon Vvardenfell's diverse geography and climates. I will dig into old info and official facts to try to see how the land was intended to be. Please read it all as it is very important to our mod. I will make suggestions for changes we could make to the TES3 layout and stuff. the landmass won't change, but some of the geography and climes may change subtly... its not like the ashlands will become a tropical rainforest or anything Big Grin ...even though volcanic soil is fertile, too much of a good thing is bad
Important:
-took me hours to make, so if you have nothin' good to say, at least congradulate me for my effort! :yes: Big Grin :lmao:
-a very very long read... go grab a drink and some food, and maybe some sleep before or after!
-all based on official facts and speculation of my own, I am sorry I cannot give you all the sources, I don't remember all of them
-I would really like comments and suggestions, thank you! I need to know your opinions and ideas
-keep in mind we are not only making Vvardenfell 6 years later, but also Vvardenfell as it sh/could've been

This was an image I had found long ago on The Imperial Library cartogrphy section. The map is actually not a concept as this quote shows:
Quote:This map of Vvardenfell was revealed by Michael Kirkbride in early stages of production of TES3: Morrowind. I learned later on that it was not a piece of concept art; rather, it was a snippet from the actual design document of Morrowind.
[Image: vvardenfell_map.jpg]
according to the Savant, these are the regions:
Ascadian Isles, Ashlands, Azura's Coast, Bitter Coast, Grazelands, Red Mountain, Molag Amur, Sheogorad, West Gash

they also described them and we saw them for ourselves in the game, however I don't totally agree with some of the results and some don't fully correspond with the stated facts... and based on my research.... and the map above...
Ascadian Isles: more open, less shroom, more farming
I think that the Ascadian Isles would have less mushrooms. The land is temperate, but not very very wet. Therefore, there is less bacteria build-up in the soil and less mushrooms that feed on it. Therefore, crops can grow properly. The weather is described as ideal weather conditions for crops and with moderate rainfall. This also means that it is drier than the wet Bitter Coast, Azura's Coast, and Sheogorad. The land is drier and more arable. I also think the inland waterways should be shallower... or at least seasonal or tidal... but I'm not sure how that will be implemented in game.... the inland waterways are a mixture of water from Lake Nabia and Lake Amaya, mixing fresh water with the salinity fot he sea resulting in the less salty Lake Hairan and Masobi.
Ashlands: northern area more fertile, central remain MOSTLY ash
The Ashlands could be split into upper highlands (central) and lower highlands (northern), that's because the lower ashlands, the lands goes gradually down from Red Mt. into the sea. The ash can spread more and there is less concentration. In the central upper Ashlands near Ald-ruhn, the area is surrounded by mountains, the ash is less likely to scatter and it will be a dust-bowl with a bit of vegetation... very little. However the Northern area will have more plants as the ash can spread out and not so concentrated and so the plants have a chance to grow on the fertile volcanic soil and not get smothered/choked.
Azura's Coast: Mushroom Forest, rockier along coast
Azura's Coast recieves plenty of rainfall and has low-nutrition soil. Vegetation will grow and rot quickly in this moist and muggy environment. Although the greatest city of the region (actually in the region's Zafirbel Bay) is called Sadrith Mora... or Mushroom Forest... it seemed more like a mushroom park... with a few here and there. Due to the conditions of the area... there should be a lot of rockiness and a thick JUNGLE of mushrooms... making travel slow and difficult.... unless you jump from the tops of mushrooms Smile
Bitter Coast: make more bog-like
The Bitter Coast is a very wet area. Low in nutrition, trees in the area have deep roots and are low and their branches extend outward to recieve sunlight. The coast is mostly marsh and peat bogs. The area is not good for farming and the only real natural undustry is fishing. It is a moderatley warm and wet environment. I wouldn't change much geographically and climate-wise about the Bitter Coast, it was well done. Just needs more bog than puddles.
Grazelands: less hillish, more grass to graze
The Grazelands are supposed to be a great plain. I can understand if the sout and west are hillish due to the mountains to the south and west, but the rest should be relatively flat... I suggest that wickwheat be the main grass growing in the area.... like a big savanna... animals should roam the area and be less aggressive... here both elf and beast have had it good.... far away from war, blight, and fierce competition... the creatures and animals are fierce if provoked but not as aggressive as say, an Alit that grew up in the Molag Amur. The exception is the northern fringe where the ashland was spreading... probably due to gradual desertification from the effects of Blight. The area is general is supposed to be relatively warm.
Red Mountain: more/returning presence of wildlife, eruptions?
This area, known as the Blight, Dagoth Ur, Red Mountain... or THE DEVIL! was the hold of Dagoth Ur. Now, the Sixth House is scattered and hiding... the land is free from Blight. My guess is that the cliffracers, enjoying the warmth of the Mt., were greatly affected by the Blight as you found so many cliffracers, and blighted ones. There should be cliff-racer roosts of some sort... (and killing them as they rest will probably bring acute pleasure :rofl: ) I suggest occasional mini-eruptions.. or maybe one linked to the main-quest. Also, this time I would hope it looked more like a volcano... unfortunately, me being a lotr loremaster... I am thinking of Mt. Doom (orodriun), but hey, Dagoth Ur manipulated weather, had hordes of monsters, middle of a wasteland, barricaded in, just like Sauron did.
Molag Amur: Great Scathes, addition of legendary monsters
This region according to that old map appears to be more unstable. Whereas in the game it appeared to be a hillish ashland dotted with vents and lava puddles. I want to include an area in the northern area known as the Great Scathes as the old design had. Perhaps this area can have the land ruptured and torn, steam and flames occasionally coming out, and all this a result of volcanic activity far underground, connected to the molten base of Red Mt. According to legend, monsters dwelt in Molag Amur... Vivec was said to have killed the legendary monsters... but who says they can't breed? Perhaos there are a few, degenerate descendants, eeking out a living in the inhospitable environment. I would like to put in ash-mires... areas that probably used to have water... but now the ash/dirt has mixed witht he water forming a quicksand pond... perhaps NPCs, creatures, and players walking in it will be slowed and their fatigue damaged slowly until their fatigue is gone... if it is, then you get a drowning affect, where if you can't save youself, you die. Hiring an Ashlander scout is always good idea.
Sheogorad: rainier (storms?), tweak vegetation/fungi, tweak fauna
This island region is a maritime wilderness... I suggest we add more fungi than plant BUT of a different sort. Probably more like a mold than a mushroom, like Bittergreen. Also, It has to be hardy. Lichen will be abundant... these isles probably recieve good rainfall but is most likely colder and definitely moist. It is said to be mostly wild and such. Animals like Alits, Guars, and Kagouti would have a hard time swimming from isle to isle scouring for food. However... I believe the nix-hound, a pack-predator and terrestrial crustacean would be the top predator here. They could easily swim. Perhaps we can put in a specially adapted bettle on these islands. People in TES3 always mentioned big beetles and shalk herds... but they were never seen, and by the way, scuttle the popular dish is made from giant beetles. Perhaps we should put those in.
West Gash: slightly differing climes in the different areas
This Gash region is officially only "west gash" but is actually politically and geographically three sections. The North Gash is well populated and has more trees. The soil is more fertile and there is more moisture due to wind from the sea. The centrally situated West Gash is more hill-lands. It is alright for grazing but as you go further down into the South Gash, it becomes more dry. The area was once slightly volcanic, evidenced by Caldera, an ebony mining location, also caldera means volcanic valley. The more populated North would see less wild animals but in the central area, farther from civilization, the beasts would thrive and the land would be hard but not too hard. Though the mountains to the west stop sea-winds from moistening the land, it is a relatively fertile badland.

[Image: vvardclime1lr.png]
awesome info all around KuKluza :goodjob:, i definetly like how we're going for more of what morrowind was supposed to be rather than what it is (was),

the thing that i'm mainly curious about is the creation of the intial landmass, are you going to use the new CS to make one big island then simply send it to all of us to add our stuff to?

PS can't wait to make REAL mushroom forests, man, just looking at the original morrowind concept art has got me stoked!
Very Good Job!!! :yes: :goodjob:

But there is some constructive criticism I have for you.

One is I like the idea of making it what it should have been, and a lot of what you said, but some things I don't fully support. Like the eruptions from Dagoth Ur. If it's part of the MQ then that might be ok, but remember that the volcano is Magnus' heart thrown to Nirn, and if it erupts, it's going to be big and badass! :flamed:

I do like the idea of The Great Scathes and adding in vents and such, though. We know Dagoth Ur is active, so putting in stuff like this would be a great idea.

Another thing with the Ascadian Isles waterways. We can make them shallower (but not to much, we don't want to scuttle the boats coming up them), but I really don't even want to try to make tides ebb and such in the game. That sounds like way too much work just for a little feature that many might not even notice.

Just about all the rest I like though, but if I can think of anything more to say, I'll let you know.

Oh and Batman, the landmass will most likely be built using the new auto land creation feature of the CS. It will let us just enter in parameters for the land that we want to create, then it'll completely form it for us (and I believe with vegetation and all in correct ecological places). Then we can always go in and manually change things so that they are just right. It's definately going to free up time on our part to do more important things (such as storyline, scripting, NPC creation, texturing, voice acting and about a million other things I don't want to list right now :dunce: ).
yeah I think I know what you guys are saying, and thanks

and eruption would be titanic... I was thinking at the end of the main quest... armies are charging up the foyadas... and then as the heros duke it out in the volcano, (something happens) and the volcano erupts and whomever is still chargin up the foyada will be "washed" or melted away....
as for the eb and flow of the Ascadian Isles waterways... that was just a creative thought
Quote:Originally posted by Ixidors Bane

Oh and Batman, the landmass will most likely be built using the new auto land creation feature of the CS. It will let us just enter in parameters for the land that we want to create, then it'll completely form it for us (and I believe with vegetation and all in correct ecological places). Then we can always go in and manually change things so that they are just right. It's definately going to free up time on our part to do more important things (such as storyline, scripting, NPC creation, texturing, voice acting and about a million other things I don't want to list right now :dunce: ).

yes, but will KuKluza create the initial permutation using auto-creation feature, then save it, and send it to us for us to go in and change by hand?
I think I might....
but when/if I do, then before it is fully released.... you guys have to all check it for to see if the size is good... if its too small thats not good! ...if its big.... well we like our land...
BIG!

...well not TOO big..... Wink
Quote:Originally posted by batman
yes, but will KuKluza create the initial permutation using auto-creation feature, then save it, and send it to us for us to go in and change by hand?
That would be the way to do it. Have one person create the basic landscape, then send it to all the other members for review and editing. From there it would go back to the creator, where he would combine all the edits into one file. This goes on until everything is just right.

The same senario would go for the city creation as well. Each person would have a copy of the mod to work on, and when they update something, they would send the updated file back to the design leader of that area, and he would combine all the updates into one file, and re-distribute that back out.

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
I think I might....
but when/if I do, then before it is fully released.... you guys have to all check it for to see if the size is good... if its too small thats not good! ...if its big.... well we like our land...
BIG!

...well not TOO big..... Wink
:yes:
sounds good to me....
now if someone wants to cut-paste all that we just said into the http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=505 thread... that would be so nice....! Smile

I think I might....
BIG!
...well not TOO big.....

That would be the way to do it. Have one person create the basic landscape, then send it to all the other members for review and editing. From there it would go back to the creator, where he would combine all the edits into one file. This goes on until everything is just right.

The same senario would go for the city creation as well. Each person would have a copy of the mod to work on, and when they update something, they would send the updated file back to the design leader of that area, and he would combine all the updates into one file, and re-distribute that back out.
now I need to analyze vegetation more indepth.. seriosuly... this mod will drive me crazy before we are done! Smile
how do you plan on doing it, by region?, by type?, by name of plant?, there are ways you could do it to make it a bit easier...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11