Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Total noob puzzlement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have extremely short patience with technical things and I'm trying to make my first steps with the CS but I'm up to the dungeon tutorial and I can't seem to load up what I did last night.

I've loaded up the Oblivion.esm, activated my cave with .esp ticked (CreepyCave02.esp) and pressed okay. Now when it's finished processing it's stuff I have nothing showing in the render window. Duh? Noob alert! Help please because my patience is already wearing thin.
You'll have to find your cell in the cell list and double click it to load it up. Also, make sure you've loaded your .esp file as the active plugin, as otherwise you'll save to a new plugin, which wont work as an .esp file can't be dependant on another .esp file.
Thanks, but I figured it out. However, I've been struck with a new problem. I've finally put together my little dungeon and placed a few bits of clutter but done nothing else. I instead flicked forward on the tutorial to where it gives instructions for playtesting because I wanted to see what it looked like. From this page, it says the following:

Let's save and have our first playtest. To do this navigate to your "Oblivion.ini" file. This is automatically stored in the Oblivion folder in your My Games folder (My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini). Open the file and add "CreepyCaveTutorial01.esp" as one of the STestFiles, and change the SStartingCell to "CreepyCave01". (Change names if you named yours differently.)

Then it says:

Now when you start Oblivion, you will begin as a default level 1 character in the chosen cell.

Absolute b******s!!! I just end up where I was if I load a saved game or back in the dungeon if I load a new game. Is there some special way in or something?
Rather than doing that you coul use the console command 'COC' to move to your cell.

It's described here, from that I gather it would be: coc yourcellname. Someone else can probably help more than me.
nick is correct, though it has to be your cell ID instead of the cell name. the other comands are "coe x,y" (center on exterior, followed by coordinate) and "cow Worldspace x,y" (center on world, followed by worldspace name and coordinates). those are used in testing exterior cells though.
I sort of expected the coc command. I'm becoming more familiar with that one after taking a look at some of the alpha files around here, like Skyrim and Elsweyr. Still, it annoys the crap out of me when I get told something in a tutorial that is blatantly untrue :bitch:

Thanks folks!

Edit 2008.07.05 19:40
Baffled again! I finally finished the 'My First Dungeon' tutorial and ended up adding an Ayleid area in addition to it that took bloody ages to sort out. However, after linking the thing to the outside world (near Bravil) it has resulted in immediate crashes to desktop. When I disable the esp I'm able to load Oblivion okay.

The only thing that I think could have caused it was the fact that the render window went really screwy at one point when I was trying to sort out the door to the cave. This resulted in the surrounding landscape having stars next to their names. I think this is because I strayed into these areas when I was trying to retrieve the place I needed to be.

Anyway, as per the instruction of the tutorial, I renamed Wilderness 13, -12 to 'CreepyCaveExterior' although the instructions didn't seem very clear at this point and I wondered if I should have kept the name the same.

Can someone please help? I was just about to get going on the landscaping tutorial.
Go ahead & post the ESP. I (and I bet sandor) can check for contaminations and reason backward to what you may have done. Contaminating the ESP, i.e. changing things in vanilla OB that aren't supposed to change, is easy to do when starting out.

HTH,
Steve
Thanks for the advice, SACarrow.

It was irritating me because I wanted to have a quick sweep through what I'd done. Anyway, here's the esp...

Btw, if anyone can help me solve why the floor in the earlier cave at one point just won't seem to match up with where the older cave grew onto it, I would be very grateful. The Ayleid stuff is crappy and basic but at least it all fits okay and I wouldn't mind making at least some part of this half-decent some time and using it.

[attachment=13214]CreepyCave02.rar[/attachment]