Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Mod Status
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is this mod dead? That question was raised in another thread where it was off topic. I felt it necessary to delete some of those posts as they distracted from that topic.

Since people want to discus that issue I am opening this thread for that purpose.
My answer?
No-no, no it is ABSOLUTELY not dead untill we ALL give up.
So c'mon people, back to work Wink :bananarock:
i dont know what has been done but ive heard alot has been done so i dont think ts dead
Just to satisfy my curiosity as a member of another project, how much have you finished as of today?

It might make sense for you to concentrate on the areas that are closest to being playable if there are doubts about the long-term practicality of the whole project.

For example, it looked like you'd got fairly far with the Monkey Islands. What's the status of that? Seeing as they're not part of the mainland they could be released first, without leaving any gaps in the landscape.
Kodama is keeping track of what we have done. My functions are to back him up, help with team building and monitor this board.

I know that a huge amount has been done and some of it has been released.

Edolsian put together several dungeons for us. He may even be interested in doing a couple more if we can come up with interesting suggestions for him that he hasn't already experimented with.

I am still playing catch up, so I don't really know what progress has been made since my health got worse and then I lost all my book marks.

I was not planning on disappearing the way I did, it just happened. I will admit I am frustrated, because at this point I am not sure how to prevent that from happening again. A project like this needs someone who is good at brain storming, keeping conversations going and such.

Those are all things I do well. I also love playing computer and video games. My programing an modeling skills are practically non existent though. However, people like Shiver-Tail, Kodama and the others who have joined up while I was gone can fill in those gaps.

I am glad to see that this project is not dead yet.
now that there is more posting i dont think its dead, but i think that is is still very much in jeopardy. most of what i have seen from this project has been ideas and discussions and ideas and discussion dont get you anywhere. most of the discussion has been along the lines of "race X is japanese so they need japanese thing/attribute Y," which i frankly think is the wrong way to go*, but never mind that. ideas are good and all but if you dont implement them you are nowhere.

you stated in the other thread that you do not have a heightmap. how can you make a mod that revolves around a continent without a heightmap? that should be your #1 priority right now, but i have seen no progress made on it. plants and architecture, i may be out of the loop but from what i know you dont have enough of these either. this is another important area to focus on, not only because it matters tons ingame but also because it defines the culture.

what this mod really needs, more then a heightmap, or models, or new members, is organization. i can not stress that enough. curently you have one vague goal "make akavir" but no concrete plans or steps as far as i can see. there is no direction, everyone is running around doing stuff and it is contributing to the greater whole very little. pick a race or a region and focus on it, that would be a good way to get some stuff done. or perhaps pick an aspect of modding, such as making flora or race models, and focus on that. if you are to even come close to finishing an entier continent then you need to know what you are doing.

*if you want to make everything just asian you should have called the mod Asia, not Akavir.
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
what this mod really needs, more then a heightmap, or models, or new members, is organization. I can not stress that enough. curently you have one vague goal "make akavir" but no concrete plans or steps as far as I can see. there is no direction, everyone is running around doing stuff and it is contributing to the greater whole very little. pick a race or a region and focus on it, that would be a good way to get some stuff done. or perhaps pick an aspect of modding, such as making flora or race models, and focus on that. if you are to even come close to finishing an entier continent then you need to know what you are doing.
Well said.
You know, the Void mod perished because of what Lady Nerevar pointed out - lack of organization and people working on random stuff. Do you have a game design doc? If you do not have one, people will do stuff blindly without any guidance. I have experienced this at the Void mod. You are experiencing this now. You need a written guideline of what is to be done. And that should be a detailed written guide. I remember having started the kind of thread at the Void forums. Unfortunately it was too late to get it running again, even with some areas of GDD covered (mostly).
And another advice - if you want to have a mod released, count how much resources and members you have and point at something smaller. Large land of Akavir (or any other land) is really absorbing in means of time. If you have little amount of members, go for something smaller. I'd suggest kind of island, external to Cyrodill, customly named. You can then use all the stuff that is made so far and focus on making quests for example.
Vvvardenfell nearly died by it too :| :|
@ mirrored
that document would be handy then i'll know what i need to draw, lol instead of guessing Big Grin
Keep the conversation going. We do listen to what people have to say. I still haven't managed to catch up with Kodama to find out where we currently are with this project.

As far as the heightmap goes. I was not even able to open Kodama's file when I still had this installed on a computer. I am on a new laptop now that has much better performance. I do plan on getting the latest release of the game and installing it in the next month. I don't know much about building a heightmap either.

Akavir is huge though. I do not think it is possible to fit it all on one heightmap. The idea of breaking this down into smaller pieces is, I think a workable one.

The issue then becomes what part of Akavir do we focus on. There were some heated discussions on this issue when the original mod leaders were getting this project started. At that time no agreement was reached.

It sounds like the time has come to reopen that discussion.
Pages: 1 2