Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Home or House?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And thus we turn our attention to the age-old question...
[indent][/indent]... should our domestic buildings be called home or house? Right now it's like the wild west, sometimes modders use Forename Surname's Home and sometimes Forename Surname's House. What's your opinion? Tongue
Personally, I think it doesn't matter and maybe it adds a bit of diversity.

It's nice (and I see the point) to have a uniform denotation, of course, but on the other hand it can give away a first tadbit of information about the person living there.

I remember having a NPC in the TES3 version, who lived in a rather rundown house (mostly his own fault), but defiantly called it Manor no matter that it would have fit twice or thrice into one of the larger buildings.

So my two cents ... I'd say leave it to the modder.

Greetings,

Quentin
Well here we have an old saying

"A home is where the Heart is"

"A house is just a building"

There's not many differences in the trues definition, they all say the same thing

I agree with leaving it up to the modder

However << (I like saying that)

With some anal retentiveness always on the horizon, someone will surely say "why is this one called a house and this one is a home?"

For this reason only I suggest keeping residences named as Homes & Manors and business establishments as Houses (were applicable)

example (Redoran Council House) or The Faculty House (referring to the school faculty dorm)

Enjoy
Bob
Very pedantic, really. Nonetheless, I chose home because, as a thief, raiding a home as opposed to a house might enhance the sense of your dastardly behaviour and hence give the player 0.01% more of a twisted thrill.
When I started on the forums I had minor experience modding. As the weeks/months have gotten by I have gained alot more experience with the help of Sandor among others. With that experience came the importance of uniformity. As I have progressed through interiors etc. and I look at the lists of items I have added to the esm I now wish I had used a more uniformed system. That is not to say it is difficult to understand what I have placed but more that I have changed my mind on a number of occassions on how I wanted to label items. I don't blame myself as it was a learning experience but the fact still remains that when things are uniform it looks more professional. I have used house and home, I believe, in labeling interiors. But I believe it should be one or the other.

Bob brought up some goods points and they make sense. But uniformity trumps IMO when a player is navigating the game.

Home.
I would say it all depends on what you are talking about at any given time. For instance, in dialogue, it won't make much of a difference except in the phrasing. "So-and-so's house" or "the home of such-and-such" might be determined by the rest of the dialogue. For use in the CS I think one uniform description would be better. The Oblivion standard was house as far as I saw when I looked.
Regarding a previous remark, there is nothing stopping people referring to a building as 'manor' or 'shack', if it reflects the building itself. Original naming such as this is to be encouraged, I think. Indeed, that would resolve the whole issue in one go.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Very pedantic, really. Nonetheless, I chose home because, as a thief, raiding a home as opposed to a house might enhance the sense of your dastardly behaviour and hence give the player 0.01% more of a twisted thrill.

This.

Home > House.

It's better to break into a home than a house. For the thief, I mean. Not the person being robbed.
It's an interesting discussion Smile

I read an article recently, appropriately called What is the difference between a home and a house?. In it, the writers said that some real estate agents call a building a "house" when you want to sell it and a "home" when you want to buy it. In the first case they don't want you to associate the building with the emotional attachment the latter word evokes, and vice verca in the second case.

The article went on to make another distinction; a home can be anything, but a house has to be a standalone structure. An apartment can't be a house, but it can certainly be a home. I don't think that distinction matters much in Silgrad Tower's case because there aren't many domeciles that aren't standalone structures, unlike there would be in for instance Vivec.

I think the most important distinction is that warm fuzzy feeling one is likely to get when one thinks of the word "home", which one is less likely to get when thinking of the word "house". A married couple, a family, or a baker, merchant, seamstress etc, would likely think of their domecile as a home. But a lonely drunkard, or an unmarried town guard, or a rowdy heroine, or teenager taking his first steps into adulthood - they might think of their booze shelter / bachelor pad / love shack / video-game-and-sandwich cube as a house rather than a home. They live in their house, but "home" to them is still their parents' place.
Home, house, castle, manor, shack, hut, domicile, flat, crib, dump, hole, trashcan, dumpster, crate, cardboard box.
The name really only has the greatest significance to the person/persons living in it.

The greatest significance here is the maintenance of uniformity.
IMO the maintaining of uniformity can be a great aid in avoiding errors.
In real life we don't have to be concerned with the lack of uniformity introducing errors, the diversity can cause difficulty in finding locations in the real world at times however.

As for the name in the application to interiors in the game the logical goal should be uniformity.

MAF