Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Hey All, I come bearing a request ^_^
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Silgrad Modders Big Grin
Here's the deal ^_^
I'm a 3d modeller/modder (used to be more of a modder, i've been out of it for a while).

I use ZBrush, and after alot of googling about using ZBrush to mod Oblivion, this is the only place I could get help it seems..!!

I need to find out about using ZBrush to apply normals and disp maps of high poly models to low poly models, suitable for use ingame.

Another modeller, (who knows more than me xD) says that there is no 'slot' for disp maps or something? (like how there IS a slot for normals).

I'm just trying to work out how to use ZBrush for disp maps for oblivion, and your modeller, "The Modax Jago", seems to know how, from what I've read.

Is it possible to get his msn or xfire or steam addy or something? ?(

This may seem a bit strange and random but please don't delete as spam, and please help me out! Smile

Also if I did get help from you guys, I'd gladly do some work for you :goodjob:
Quote:Originally posted by Mr. Mike Esq.
Also if I did get help from you guys, I'd gladly do some work for you :goodjob:

This part sounds good Cool . I'm afraid TheModaxJago will be a difficult person to get hold of since he got a modelling job in the industry. However, he did some excellent work for us and does indeed pop by now and again to try to complete the work that he started. I personally haven't had much to speak to him about so I'll leave any serious response to others that are in a better position to do so.

I'm sure someone who knows more than me will soon be along with more info. Good luck with finding an answer!
Yeah, I'm PM'ing him now ^_^
As for doing some work for you, I use ZBrush. Big Grin
Oh how I love that software <333 :banana:

xD
ZBrush is an awesome tool. I'm no animator myself but I hear lots of good things about it. We have a few others that know a few things about animation but it's still a much-needed skill for any modding team. I hope TheModaxJago can help you out.
There is no slot for displacement maps in Oblivion. Maps supported are: diffuse, opacity, normal, specular, glow and parallax (though I don't think you can use the latter on creatures).

There's no way to get files directly from ZBrush to Oblivion, it needs to go into another 3d program which has a .nif exporter. 3ds Max, Blender and Maya all have exporters, though the Maya one is fairly limited.

Though I don't think you need anything other than ZBrush to apply the normals to the low poly model. All you need is the same UV co-ords for the diffuse map and the normal map (specular goes in the alpha channel of the normal map).
I know about getting models into oblivion, ie. exporting to .nif, and I know there's no slot for disps (although they can be assigned to the "detail map" slot, but then they're just used as high quality bump maps (to put it simply).
But I've read on this site twice I think that 'this model uses normals and disp maps' (if you know what I mean), so I've PM'd the person that made those to explain really ^_^
An important point about normal maps in OB: normal texes use the same UV map as the corresponding diffuse texture. I know I had to do some serious jggery-pokery to get the normal map for TMJ's models outta Max and into OB, probably at a considerable cost in appearance. It would be far better if possible in ZBrush to ensure that both diffuse and normal maps share the same UV mapping. I assume that that also applies to the other maps mentioned by nick_op; all subsidiary maps use the UV map as the primary (diffuse) one.

HTH,
Steve