Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Soulrest (and surrounding area) development thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Right, may as well lay out some plans:

Soulrest Ideas:

A highly corrupt town, where everyone has something to hide. There are largely lower class buildings (i.e. slums) that are arranged almost like a apartment block rising several stories into the sky. On higher ground (possibly to the north) there are a few middle class buildings, probably owned by minor crime lords or corrupt imperials. The few upper class building (2 or 3 maximum) will be restored kothringi architecture (which, if I get things right, won't look too out of place Tongue) and will likely be owned by powerful crime bosses or corrupt politicians (maybe Archeins, though lore isn't my strong point... so correct me if something seems odd).

There will be two main docks in soulrest:

The original kothringi docks in the north, close to the upper and middle class areas and watched by privately hired guards. This is also a place where wealthy merchants can dock and know their ship and goods will be protected (at a price, of course).

The newer imperial docks to the south, linked directly to the lower class slums are largely used by pirates and smugglers (and some poorer merchants who cant afford to stay at the upper class docks *quest opportunity?*).

Tileset Plans:

The tileset will consist of several lower class pieces, probably designed in a brick-esque way, so much of the slums can be actually built like a wall would be built, by stacking pieces, hopefully this will give a lot of freedom.

There will also be a far less extensive middle class tileset and at least two totally unique mansions for the upper class area.

Plus unique architecture for the docks. And some new city walls, though they may just be retextures in the end... :/

Soulrest will also need an imperial barracks somewhere, though I see little point in new architecture for this, unless we give them a converted kothringi building to inhabit. On a related note, I will make some kothringi pillars and such that can be left sticking out of the ground etc.

Comments welcome (specially before I get started Tongue)

Edd
I think it all sounds great! I'm particularly interested by the Kothringi parts!

The city Archeins would probably have the biggest and most ornate palace (since they're more corrupt and powerful than even the Governor). I would imagine that the Governor's palace would be smaller, decaying and dilapidated, he probably doesn't even stay there very often any more.

Perhap's we could use Tobi's Imperial Fort set (once it's finished) for the Imperial barracks?

Also, for Kothringi architecture, have you thought about Inca ruins for inspiration? Look up Cuzco or Machu Picchu. But maybe you had something more original in mind? Big Grin
those are some very impressive ruins, but I personally can't see an originally sea-faring race building something like that. Maybe something similar, but with more curves...

Edd
I'm in agreement with Deeza's suggestions although I'd like to see the Upper Class area on a large hill with a zig-zag staircase up to the top and perhaps cliffs (Mr Siika's rocks?) around some (but not all) of the edges. This is to give the Upper Class area an aura of authority over the squalid mess below...and Tobi's fort set could partially encircle that.
Quote:Originally posted by llamaranger
those are some very impressive ruins, but I personally can't see an originally sea-faring race building something like that. Maybe something similar, but with more curves...

True. The Inca never had many ships or ports as far as we know. It was just an idea to give you inspiration Big Grin

I like the hill idea. It could have been the site of the Kothringi acropolis (upper city) before the mansions were built on it more recently.
Here's a map of my ideas, combined with your hill idea (which is very nice btw Tongue)

Purple areas are upper class, they are on a hill with stairs leading down to the upperclass docks.

green areas are middle class and will contain both housing and some "better" shops. plus mages guild and fighters guild if they are included (I think the mages should be based reconstructed mansion, though less grandiose than the UC)

peach areas are lower class and may contain a dark brotherhood hideout (possibly in a Kothringi tomb or other ruin) as well as some less well off merchants

orange and red are slums are contain many criminals and their dark secrets. There should be no guards patrolling this area and most NPCs will be wearing rags.

The grey/brown area is the LC docks. Light grey lines are city walls (except the coast Tongue) and dark grey lines are city gates.

Overall the city is divided into 4 world spaces, though in some areas spills over into the external worldspace.

In construction, it is important that the two docks as far apart as possible to minimize performance hits, as both will be quite busy places... Maybe the upper calss dock could be inside city walls, with a massive gate for boats..

Edd
Or you could have a "sea wall" - a long pile of rocks with a wall built on top. These were often built in the real world to provide more shelter to the docks from strong winds.

Provided we have an invisible barrier that stops you swimming too far out into the sea, the sea defences could completely block the view from one dock to the other.
here is what i have of the dock so far, bear in mind that much of this structure is sunk into the ground:

Here are my thoughts about it:

The original structure (the beams of the canopy and the stone quays) are Kothringi, and this site is possibly of great interest to the Archeological Society, who have spent much time examining the construction in wonderment.

It is widely believed that the canopy beams are imbedded extremely deep in the ground. The construction of the beams themselves is a mystery, though some believe that the wood was at some stage treated with Hist Sap (possibly one of many reasons for the Knahten Flu?) accounting for its incredible lack of decay.

The canopy has been replaced with stiffened leather, to protect the ships during storms.

Whatever story we come up with about the construction of this dock should be information available to the player, either through books or NPCs.

Edd
sorry for double post i suppose...

update on texturing, which has begun, and so far looks pretty nice me thinks Smile

Edd
Intriguing stuff :goodjob:
Pages: 1 2 3