Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Someone pls help me wif the collision mesh problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
my problem is that I cant get the collision mesh to work at all. I've read probably all the collision tutorials int he forum butstill cant get to work. Maybe I'm missing something.

This is how I work through my processes.
First I created a mesh to be exported
next another mesh of similar shape
in 3d max 2008.
both meshes were placed at the same position.
the rougher mesh , I had the collision mesh option ticked (under utilies, nif props) theni exported both as nif.
and the collision mesh didn work.
I have the nifskope program but didn use it at all. Am I suppose to use it at all? and how?
pls reply as soon as possible.
I'm a student learning the CS
Have you checked out Razorwings video tutorials? If not, I would recommend doing so.

I'd also recommend at looking at this tutorial, as it deals with MOPP collision (which came after Razorwing did his tutorials).
Thanks for the mention, Nick Smile

I also wanted to chip in that making collision via the button on the Utilities panel is a throwback from the exporter's early development. I don't know why it's still included because we've instead been using a bhkRigidBody modifier added to the collision mesh for surely over a year by now.
o, the modifier works for me. Guess the utilites collision button is spoilt.
But i still have a qns, wat does the nifskope do? and is it possible to create a in game elevator that would travel upwards when my character is inside? thxs for yur help. Guess im outdated cause the tutorials i could find were only dealt with the utilites panel option. I also realised that i cant directly duplicate the mesh and use the collision modifier, otherwise the collision will go haywire. Why is this so?
Quote:Originally posted by roar999
o, the modifier works for me. Guess the utilites collision button is spoilt.
As Razorwing said, it's best to avoid the utilities button, it's quite outdated.
Quote:But I still have a qns, wat does the nifskope do?
NifSkope is an all purpose .nif file viewer and editor. It allows the modification of many settings within .nif files and is pretty much required to get a model from Max/Blender/Maya into a decent format for use in game. I consider it an essential tool. It deals with games other than Oblivion - anything that runs on the NetImmerse/Gamebryo engines. You'll find it here.
Quote: and is it possible to create a in game elevator that would travel upwards when my character is inside? thxs for yur help.
Yes it is possible. There are some issues/limitations.

I have a tutorial in the works on how to do simple animations for Oblivion, so I'll post in this thread when I've got it finished.
Quote: Guess I'm outdated cause the tutorials I could find were only dealt with the utilites panel option. I also realised that I cant directly duplicate the mesh and use the collision modifier, otherwise the collision will go haywire. Why is this so?
Your mesh is probably far too complex for the purpose of collision. You'll want to optimise it heavily (by welding vertices and such, stay away from the optimise modifier), or create a new mesh specifically for the collision (keep it simple and keep the poly count low).
Really thxs for yur help! im really looking foward to yur animation tutorial. Btw is there any tutorial on the details like meaning of settings like mass, friction etc, on the 3dmax panel? Couldn't find them anywhere. The tutorials usually just asks you to do that without explaining what it does.
Can't recall one off the top of my head. I can do a quick explaination of some of the settings:
  • Mass - determines how heavy the object is. A value of 0 means it is immovable.
  • Friction - I've only dealt with this on constraints, but I can't imagine there's much difference. Essentially, what it says on the tin. The higher the value, the more resistance to movement the object will have.
  • Restitution, Linear Damping, Angular Damping - unsure what these do. My guess is that the letter two affect movement somehow.
  • Max Linear Velocity, Max Angular Velocity - Maximum velocity that the object can travel? probably tied in with the two damping settings.
  • Penetration depth - how far arrows can penetrate, I think.
  • Layer - determines how the mesh interacts with the world. Static is what is used on static meshes, Anim_Static is used on animated meshes.
  • Motion System, Quality Type - varies depending on the mesh. Fixed is generally used for static meshes. For animated meshes I used keyframed for both, I think.
  • Allow transforms - exactly as it says. Determines whether the mesh is allowed to be transformed (i.e. translation, rotation, scale). Tick it for animated meshes, otherwise leave unchecked.
It's quite possible I'm incorrect in some of this, I tend towards creatures rather than animated statics, and collision is somewhat different there.
oo thxs for yur information, guess only a few of the options are useful in static collision. Im still looking foward to you animation tutorial Smile
Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
[*]Restitution, Linear Damping, Angular Damping - unsure what these do. My guess is that the letter two affect movement somehow.
[*]Max Linear Velocity, Max Angular Velocity - Maximum velocity that the object can travel? probably tied in with the two damping settings.

I am not 100%, but I believe restitution has to do with the item coming back to its original shape. Linear Damping would be how quickly any linear velocity (travel in a straight line) would die out. Same with angular velocity (essentially its spin - like a spin on a stick or knife thrown from an end as opposed to along its axis). Max Linear Velocity and Max Angular Velocity would be the highest values allowed for the object in order to limit these values, even if the formula for determining these velocities creates a higher value - think of the difference between shooting an arrow made of steel versus one made of aluminum. With the same amount of force applied, the aluminum arrow would have a faster initial velocity due to the lower mass of the arrow, would fly farther, etc.
Thanks for the info, ShadowDancer.