Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Valenwood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This was posted by Deeza in the between team co-operation thread. I do not have an opinion on the subject. This sounds like an issue that deserves its own thread, so I am starting one:

"It seems to me, then, that the mod with the least likelihood of releasing anything useable would have to be Valenwood. I hope nobody takes offense, but I'm talking objectively here and I think this needs to be said.

As I said, the Abacean Islands are nearly finished, but that is a standalone mod which does not include the mainland. The mainland appears to have been extensively planned but no progress (and no new meshes, creatures or flora) appear to to have been made, except of course, for those that are to be used on the islands.

I mean no disrespect at all to Mormacil, whose concept art output is amazing and who has been trying hard to keep the project alive, but despite his best efforts there has been zero interest in reviving it. As he himself said on the Valenwood board, he is too busy in real life to take an active role.

It was suggested that the board be left up so as to provide an "advertisement" for lurkers who might be interested in restarting the project and reshaping it to their own vision. However, none has been forthcoming.

IMHO, the revival of interest necessary to rejuvenate the project could probably only be produced by the release of TES5 or another event of comparable importance.

Thoughts? "
To clarify my original comments, I don't have a definite opinion (one way or the other) myself either. Nevertheless I think this is a conversation which had to be started.

I have nothing against Valenwood, but if it is to be revived it will need a clear and acheivable vision for what is to be done, and a step-by-step plan by which this will be accomplished.

This can and has been done before - High Rock is a good example, where careful planning has brought a dead project back. The question really is, can anyone afford to make a similar level of commitment to Valenwood?

I suspect the answer is that we don't have the manpower.
Find someone to add the final touches to the Abeccean Isles and then drop Valenwood. If nothing was ever actually completed, there is no reason to continue on working at it.
Despite my efforts to keep it alive I have to agree with with Siegfried. We best finish Abeccean Isles and then put VW to sleep. It's been fun and frustration as any (big) mod but I see an end to the road.

I never had any plans on leading VW for any period of time but I guess I had to... With no new leadership this was bound to happen. Maybe more luck with TES5.
Sorry if I appear to be 'dancing on the grave' of a what was certainly an extremely attractive prospect here on these forums, but I, for one, would relish your involvement on the 'Black Marsh' if you were so inclined, Mormacil. Of course, you must consider what's best for you but I think you would be fabulous to have on the team as we work towards our beta. Although I'm guessing that the Abecean Isles is your top priority now.
I am a bit of a lurker (this is my first post) but I have to say it is a real shame to hear Valenwood might have died. Out of all the Beyond Crodiil projects it interested me the most.
I would offer to get involved and keep it going but I suspect my help might be of more use on one of the other projects. If there's still a chance it is going to continue though I'll be there in a flash.
Valenwood hasn't been entirely abandoned - just greatly reduced in size. We are still making some offshore islands. Would you like to help with that?

Basically everything is done, we just need a scripter who can make quests for us. The quests are already written, they just need putting into the game.
Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Valenwood hasn't been entirely abandoned - just greatly reduced in size. We are still making some offshore islands. Would you like to help with that?

Basically everything is done, we just need a scripter who can make quests for us. The quests are already written, they just need putting into the game.

This seems to happen alot, well I think it would be best to work on a small area first. At least you will be able to make a playable mod.

Good luck finding a scripter for the quest, if I had less to work on I would jump at the chance to help, But i have enough to do already.
Quote:Originally posted by Deeza

Do you have an esp of all the files?
I do, but not the most recent version. Windsurfer has that. Unfortunately he's only occasionally active.
Pages: 1 2