Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Catching up with early model work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on the possibility of including the following models in Silgrad Tower: Oblivion, which we got our hands on quite a long time ago. We have permission from their authors to use them if we want to.

1) FlyTSI's Cathedral
[Image: thumb_cathedral.jpg] [Image: thumb_FlyTSI_Cathedral_2.jpg] [Image: thumb_FlyTSI_Cathedral_3.jpg] [Image: thumb_FlyTSI_Cathedral_4.jpg]
As FlyTSI says, "Scale model of the Chartres Cathdral in Chartres France. 90% of the windows are the actual windows in the actual location of the building. It took 1 month of research and 3 months of modeling to build this monster. The model is ~ 1 meter of the actual building in both width, height and depth."
The only source for the model is a collection of NIF files and textures, so if we want to use it, they'll have to be converted. (download)

2) Kriss' sword collection
[Image: thumb_kriss_armageddon_07.jpg] [Image: thumb_kriss_broken_04.jpg] [Image: thumb_kriss_comados_12.jpg] [Image: thumb_kriss_fang_06.jpg] [Image: thumb_kriss_katana01_00.jpg]
The thumbs above are just a handful of the extensive sword collection donated to us by Kriss, though most of the ones not shown above aren't textured. The full collection can be browsed and downloaded -here-. The question is if we should use none, some, only the textured ones, or all (and ask for texture artists).

3) Necessities of Morrowind's Beer collection
[Image: thumb_NOM_beer_05.jpg] [Image: thumb_NOM_beer_08.jpg] [Image: thumb_NOM_beer_10.jpg] [Image: thumb_NOM_beer_11.jpg] [Image: thumb_NOM_beer_03.jpg]
Again, the collection is more extensive than these few thumbs; the full collection can be browsed and downloaded -here-. Some of the textures are fuzzy, some aren't very appropriate, so the question is if we should use the 'good' ones?
Although that cathedral looks impressive, im not sure that the style would be aproppriate. It's just too... well.... realistic Big Grin. OB's architecture seems to me more exagerated, and not so squared off.

Those swords on the other hand... are fantastic. Some of them may not quite fit the style, but there is no use in letting the rest sit there when they could serve as perfectly good uniques!

The beers could could be really fun, but im not sure if lore buffs would approve... The textures would need an overhaul too.
Quote:Originally posted by Caligula Superfly
Although that cathedral looks impressive, im not sure that the style would be aproppriate. It's just too... well.... realistic Big Grin. OB's architecture seems to me more exagerated, and not so squared off.

Those swords on the other hand... are fantastic. Some of them may not quite fit the style, but there is no use in letting the rest sit there when they could serve as perfectly good uniques!

The beers could could be really fun, but im not sure if lore buffs would approve... The textures would need an overhaul too.

I agree.
Hehe...I like that beer. Wink

I disagree on the Cathedral and the beers . I think it will fit nicely for OB. If you pay too much attention to details and lore you take the fun out of modding.(ex. TR)

Now I don't like getting too far away from lore. But remember people progress in technology and learning so it is understandable that they would have new things. You just need to not have them progressing too far too fast(ex. swords and spears to Phasers)

I like the swords!
it looks big :yes:

i love it Big Grin

but maby we can change the model of the church a bit so it looks less churchik Big Grin
hey razorwing, can we use some of those resources for VVardenfell?
Personally I really like the cathedral, and agree with Hoss. I think lore is important, and should be adhered to when possible, but when something is relatively close to lore I think it's good if you can sneak in a little sense of "OMFG that's so COOL" in players. Big Grin I think the cathedral has a nice medieval feel to it, and isn't too far off from Cyrodiilic design. I'm not sure about other countries, but in mine just about every church looks different with a few common denominators, so I don't think a slightly different cathedral design in our area would jolt the player... I dunno... But I think that if it is used, it should be used just once for a unique location.

I kindof like a handful of the beer bottles as well, but I don't disagree with the opinions that the textures aren't very good for being used in an Oblivion mod. Without the textures it kinda falls apart, so I dunno. Perhaps if the models are sized down to realistic proportions the textures won't look as fuzzy? Seeing as bottles in Morrowind were like half a meter high. Then again if someone should happen to feel like creating a new beer bottle label for our mod I can get right on creating a custom glass bottle model for it. Smile

Of the swords I rather like the "broken" sword, because of the menacing spikes just above the hilt and its original design. The "Comados" might make for a nice Imperial sword. But other than that I don't have any opinion on them.

batman: Yes of course you can. None of them have been created by the Silgrad Tower team though; the only involvement I've had in some of them (the beer bottles) is converting the NIFs to .3ds.
You know, sometimes all a low res texture needs is some photoshop work. If you double the image size then throw some light filters on it you could give it the illusion of having more detail than it really does.

I have access to photoshop if you would like me to try...

EDIT: The link to the full beers list doesn't seem to be working, for me at least.
You know, sometimes all a low res texture needs is some photoshop work. If you double the image size then throw some light filters on it you could give it the illusion of having more detail than it really does.

I have access to photoshop if you would like me to try...

EDIT: The link to the full beers list doesn't seem to be working, for me at least.

Thanks! That would be much appreciated Big Grin

If you click this link you should see a gallery with mostly pictures. The pictures lead to downloadable .7z archives. First you have to click the thumbs, then you get a page with a larger pic saying "FILE 14/73" or similar. If you click the pic again the download should start. =)
Pages: 1 2 3 4