Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Aid and Assistance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I really don't know how to put this down in a sensible manner but here goes.
When attempting to locate the appropriate tutorials for a refresher/reminder course on the necessary knowledge for working on and completing an interior claim, I failed miserably.
A broken/missing/deleted/no longer existent link, in the FAQ area brought me to an immediate halt.

However, this did cause me to consider what I think is a very valid point about the overall goal of everyone involved here.

I realize that this forum/website is not the CS wiki, but....
I also realize that much of the modding data on the CS wiki is incomplete, obsolete as it would apply here, or just plain wrong.

Now I am assuming that other than just having fun doing it, a part of the overall goal of the ST team is to eventually finish the mod?

However, from the viewpoint of a complete neewbie, but one with the desire to do all they can to help and aid in the completion of the mod, it would seem that a lot of available modding information, or at least at one time available modding information, is no longer around.
Or it is no longer organized and easiy to find.

It would seem to me that a great encouragement to anyone interested in helping ST, anyone with the necessary hardware resources and necesaary time resources, would be the modding information. And of course this includes all tips and tutorials concerned.

I guess what it all bolis down to is this question....

Is there anyone on the core team involved in making and keeping all necessary modding information organized and available to those that need it in order to participate in the fun being had here?

If the answer to this question is no, then ST has a definite need that is not being filled.

I realize also that most people consider teaching and educating others to be very boring and not "fun" at all. But.....
With that encouragement and easily locatable information being kept available to all newbies that enter herein, the chances of more aid and asistance in the achievement of STs' goals are much improved.

I guess that about covers it.
I'm glad to see you're taking an interest in the subject Smile Perhaps it's something we should look at. Personally I haven't thought as much about the organization of the faq section since I tend to find the information I need by running forum searches. There's quite a few valuable items of information one can find that way, and I think overall it works like a nice complement to the official CS Wiki.

Do you happen to have direct suggestions on how we can improve the faq section of our forum?
Posting some specific questions you have regarding modding in ST would be great. Posting information on the offending threads/posts would also be quite helpful in understanding what you feel needs working on.

I believe we are all strapped for time in modding the teaser and other ST claims (I am also sadly in my working season at the moment). Providing information and ideas IMO is a better way to help the cause.
I agree with Zurke and Razorwing.

Please make a list of the broken links/ problem areas.

Quote:Originally posted by Boserman
I realize also that most people consider teaching and educating others to be very boring and not "fun" at all.
I am sure that our reviewing team is more than willing to help you and improve your modding skills. Just post your questions in the claims thread and we'll answer these promptly.
@Boserman, I must have tripped over the statement Sandor quoted above. I agree while we are not always on the forum when we are I think we are very happy to help. For me when showing someone else something they don't understand it only reinforces it in my understanding. Which could lead to better ways of doing things.
Saying this, I am problably the only major scripter here and while I dont post any tutorials in the FAQ section I do answer and help people through PM. Though I would love to post a couple of tutorials at some point.

I even think the other members help others through PM to, so really if you need help, send a PM to someone in that area Smile

I do agree though that the FAQ section could do with a bit of work, maybe some tidying up and some updating, but other than that its sound.
Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
Saying this, I am problably the only major scripter here...
I know at least two other active modders on our forums that are very good scripters.

Though I would love to post a couple of tutorials at some point.
Please do so.

I do agree though that the FAQ section could do with a bit of work, maybe some tidying up and some updating....
Any suggestions?
Quote:Originally posted by sandor
I know at least two other active modders on our forums that are very good scripters.

I know TID scripts, oh and Koniption scripts, but who else?

The more the merrier, especially when it comes to tutorials and answering questions Smile

Please do so.

I will do when I have time and I know what level of tutorials are needed.

Any suggestions?

Not at the moment, though I will look through and see if any ideas come to mind
Actually, my knowledge of scripting is still pretty limited. There's a lot I still don't understand about it. For instance, I had to hand off a script-making job to a modder friend of mine (CLShade), for the Blackmarsh rootworm travel script, since I didn't know how to do it.

Koniption
Quote:Originally posted by Koniption
Actually, my knowledge of scripting is still pretty limited. There's a lot I still don't understand about it. For instance, I had to hand off a script-making job to a modder friend of mine (CLShade), for the Blackmarsh rootworm travel script, since I didn't know how to do it.

Koniption

Oh ok, I forgot about your script, been busy with others, thats why i did not reply Wink

Anyway, any suggestions of scripting tutorials ect would be a great help, I know there are not many here. Even the CS wiki is pretty limited.
Pages: 1 2