Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: BWRS0103 "Glenbridge" (Completed - barring clutter)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Official 'Black Marsh' Claim for Settlement Claim: Glenbridge

[/HR]

Glenbridge
AVAILABILITY: Completed by Ibsen's Ghost

[/HR]

[Image: 04-StonewastesRockGrove4.jpg]

[/HR]

Description & Details

[/HR]

Glenbridge is no more! This town has been worst affected by the cruel and unforgiving environment of the Black Marshes. Rumours are rife about how this town has disappeared off the map but most claim that floods are to be blame. Some have said that the town was burnt down even before the seasonal floods came to alter the maps of Argonia once more. But it seems that the natural forces of the Hist have reclaimed it. Have they passed judgement on its inhabitants? Have they been hit by some other tragedy? With Glenbridge having a historical reputation as a plague town, did disease finally claim the inhabitants in the end?

What remains of Glenbridge is up to you. It once provided access from the south and on towards the narrow mid-section of the Everglades region where its grand bridges were built during a rare moment of peace at the time between Argonians and the other races. Yet this is now wholly or partly demolished and most of Glenbridge remains underwater. Somewhere there is a door to a dungeon built at a time when the land was firmer and the Imperials had plans to consolidate their power base further into the marshes.....now the Argonians are starting to return, building their huts on the waters.

NB: Glenbridge has been classified as a 'Blackwood' claim due to its previous location. However, it has now clearly been claimed by the swampy everglades.

[/HR]

At-a-glance Details

[/HR]

Settlement Type: Ruined Town
Architecture: Mostly Imperial but might also include a watertop hut.
Exterior cell coordinates: approx. -13/-14,-02/-03.
Claim Size & Difficulty: Medium. Approximately 4 cells maximum (mostly wreckage).
Inhabitants: 'Normal' and/or 'Saurian' Argonians and a few non-native races (mostly dead).
Mission Connections: DR's fort quest: http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/thread.php?postid=160294.
Amount of Loot: Low-Medium.
General Info: Please set up a new discussion thread on this claim here: http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/board.php?boardid=237 .

[/HR]

Modding Directions

[/HR]

You'll find the location for the town of Glenbridge in the cell area BlackwoodRegionGlenbridge (-11,11 and -10,12/-11,12) of the BlackMarshes worldspace. Use the latest esm here:Latest esm and esp updates and the latest bsa here: Latest bsa .

The first thing you should seek to do is to sculpt the landmass carefully so that your design fits neatly with the adjoining Blackwood and Everglades regions. Much of the water level may be a little too low and you will need to adjust this in order to get begin bringing in the swamp trees and other features that will be added once the region itself is set up.

A basic idea of how the Everglades will be set up will bear some similarity to the Unique Landscapes mod: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17562 . You can use many of these vanilla features (detailed below) but bear in mind that we will be introducing some cool new custom assets as well.

Architecture can be vanilla models and wreckage such as planks and ruined buildings. Some buildings may also be intact and still accessible. Most of them will be fully or partially submerged so this should be reflected in the interiors themselves.

Try to work with DR on how you might set up an entrance to the dungeon. You might use a fort model but this would have to be a very much ruined fort and it might also benefit from having the exterior retextured with algae and pondscum.

You will find the architecture models in Static-blackmarsh-architecture .

Clutter and Flora - Please decorate the surrounding area with a selection from the following trees, rocks and flora: swamp rocks, swamp trees, Hibiscus flowers, Nenuphar Purple flowers, Passion Flower, Peach Tree, Victoria Flower (and lilypad - lots of these!), Cattails, Flora Flies and Centipedes.

However, you may need to take a look at the surrounding Blackwood region and use some of the models that you see there if the claim spills over or gets near to that region. You should also include some of the following vanilla items that will be part of the Everglades region.
  • TreeCPSwampCypressForest
  • TreeCPSnowGumFree
  • TreeCamoranParadise
  • Knee Clusters
  • Fireflies
  • LogOakMoss
  • West Weald Rocks
  • Vipers Bugloss
  • GreenStainShelfCupCaps
  • Ferns
  • Sacred Lotus
  • Dementia Trees with an 'L' suffix e.g. 'DementiaTree02L'

These models are used very effectively in 'Unique Landscapes: Fallenleaf Everglades' so you may wish to check that mod for a little inspiration. However, be liberal in your use of our own excellent custom assets....but there is certainly no need to start developing the region totally....

You will need to use a combination of the regional textures with the prefix CPS but also try checking out the new swampwater textures, moss and scum textures. Your choices here might well affect final decisions on how to texture the region overall so please choose wisely.

Otherwise, ask if you'd like to use other models. I'm sure you'll make sensible choices but it would be best to check that out by posting screenies or offering a suggestion in this thread.

Bear in mind the need to create interiors and AI at a later stage so there will need to be room for the NPCs to engage in appropriate activities and to use suitable path-grids. For Glenbridge's inhabitants, this will mean very few living inhabitants but you should still consider their purpose there. Some are very likely to have boats....

[/HR]

Further Development

[/HR]

Once the interiors are completed (you may wish to help with this yourself) then the AI will help to give the place more character. You should then consider the settlement as a permanent claim and assist with such things as pathgrids and house decorations (probably more like messy clutter due to the situation of the town) once the AI are included.

You should also ensure that the region surrounding the settlement is fully vertex shaded. DO NOT CLAIM THE SETTLEMENT AS IS BUT TREAT YOUR CLAIM AS A STOCK SET OF CELLS for which you have responsibility over. The landscaper has the ultimate decision on which textures remain etc but considering the settlement as a landscape feature as well as a functioning (or not-functioning, in this case) town is part of the task.

[/HR]

Lighting your settlement

[/HR]

Besides using torches where necessary, it may prove appropriate to make use of any lamps that the modelling team create as we are hoping to create more root furniture and Argonian clutter.
It's ok if I claim it I gues, since I already said that in the other thread?
Sure. You don't have to though. I'll mark it as your claim anyhow :goodjob:.
Working on it right now.
:goodjob:
[Image: glenbridgeearly.png]

Early w.i.p. shot from glenbridge. I figured that this would be all that is left from the town that is not underwater. It's what used to be the entrace to glenrbidge long ago. Thought? Suggestions?
I think I'd prefer to use Senten's Marsh House than this model (the intact one). Go for ruined bridges if possible, preferably the SI ones and add debris. The best thing to do is to envisage how exactly the place got flooded. There may be a few things remaining on either bank and ruins inbetween that show the power of the water that has since subsided a little.

It might be worth introducing Koniption's birch bark canoe here or some other model, maybe the boat-house for a flood refugee.

To be honest though, it might work best if the sole remaining house is on an island on its own....or better still, the door still lies partly underwater with the ground floor partly flooded and lots of items floating around inside.

Maybe have a barrier that was used to keep the waters out but failed and is now itself mostly submerged. But above all, consider how the town might have looked and work backwards, adding the ruins as you consider the calamity unveiling around it. We were going to use DrMcCoy's fort ruin quest here as well but it turns out there was some kind of a problem with the AIs. I'll try looking into this but it may help to add the Fort ruin as well....partly or wholly submerged...?
I agree with you on changing the intact one. This was a place holder annyway cause it would at least need a retexture.

As for the all the other part's you metioned. I cant say more then that I'm going to see what I can do with them. There are things that I liek and some things I dont. Annyway I'll see what I do with them. But the suggestions are very usefull. As usual. Thanks a lot Ibsen!
No problem, B2M. I know you'll do a good job anyway. Rockguard was such a sweet little place! Remember to check out the test cells of the Everglades though. That should help you to get a handle on the flora of the area although, to be honest, with Glenbridge positioned where it is then you can get away with using a blend of both Blackwood and Everglades stuff.

Just to summarise though, the Everglades assets that I'm planning on using so far are as follows: the trees are mainly Senten's swamp trees and swamp rose coupled with plenty of Dementia trees. I might also go for swamp cypresses and my beloved SnowGum Trees (my favourite vanilla tree). I was planning on using the swamp rocks but also thought it might be useful for the purposes of region generation to use Dementia rocks as I could then use an SI preset to generate it. After that, I was planning on using some of the following flora: Hibiscus, Nenuphar lillies, Passion Flower, Peach tree, Cattails and Victoria Flower (Koniption's stuff), Sacred Lotus, GreenStainShelf Cup Caps and some SI flora in the deeper Everglades.

Other items might include: knee clusters, mossy logs, ferns and critters such as flora flies, mosquitoes and centipedes.

You'll be pretty much doing pioneering work on the Everglades here so I thought this would be useful reference material. Edit - I just started work on the Everglades Region today. I have marked out the borders of the region by doing some height map editing and I shall then start on height-mapping the whole region. For the marked area of Glenbridge (-15 to -12, -02 and -15 to -12, -03) I will leave everything untouched so as to avoid conflicts....keep in touch about progress....we may need to meet on MSN sometime before the next esm update.
HI B2M,

I thought the discussion starting here in this link might be of relevance to this claim and you may wish to have your own input: Dungeon Design Strategy .

Btw, I have height-mapped the landscape around the claim as part of the preparation work for the Everglades region (the southern half is now complete). I have excluded the following co-ordinates on the attached map: x co-ordinates -15 to -12 and y co-ordinates -2 to -3. Let me know if you plan to stray any further as I'll need to work with you to prevent errors.
Pages: 1 2