Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Lights cause the CS to crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This thread was split from ZDawg's Dunmer Lore thread.
I excised comments from posts in the original thread that pertain to the light bugs. These are reposted in this post, with links to the posts they originally came from. /Rw 2009-03-21

silver[/hr][blockquote]Posted by ZDawg on March 20th, 02:44 C.E.T.:
Also, just as a note, most of the ST Lights cause a crash in the CS. Wink[/blockquote]
silver[/hr][blockquote]Posted by Razorwing on March 20th, 03:05 C.E.T.:
Quote:Originally posted by ZDawg
Also, just as a note, most of the ST Lights cause a crash in the CS. Wink

I've heard that mentioned before and thought it was my models, but that time it turned out to be TheImperialDragon's recolors that caused it. But he fixed that, and after that the CS stopped crashing. Can you name the Construction Set ID of one of the lights that caused your Construction Set to crash?[/blockquote]
silver[/hr][blockquote]Posted by ZDawg on March 20th, 03:43 C.E.T.:
As for the lights that crash me, they are ALL candles. Here's one: STIDCandleBlackBowlRed01Orange128. EVERYTHING with the prefix STID crashes me. I'm guessing that ID is Imperial Dragon, so he must have released some files to prevent the crash... maybe?[/blockquote]
silver[/hr][blockquote]Posted by Razorwing on March 20th, 05:53 C.E.T.:
As for the lights that crash me, they are ALL candles. Here's one: STIDCandleBlackBowlRed01Orange128. EVERYTHING with the prefix STID crashes me. I'm guessing that ID is Imperial Dragon, so he must have released some files to prevent the crash... maybe?

Is there any chance you still have the files from "Silgrad Tower 2.5" on your computer? If so please delete all of them, that should allow the files in the BSA to take precedence over the old files.[/blockquote]
Ummm... I never had Silgrad Tower before I came here, so I don't think I have any files from the old one.. I'll check though.
Ummm... I never had Silgrad Tower before I came here, so I don't think I have any files from the old one.. I'll check though.

My bad.

The entry you mentioned, STIDCandleBlackBowlRed01Orange128, crashes my Construction Set too. Weird. Somehow I must've lost his update files years ago, because I clearly remember testing his update and it didn't crash the CS. I'll try to track down the update he posted back then.
That would be excellent, but if you can't find it don't stress over it. I can make do with the lights I have now, I was just curious as to what those lights looked like. Wink
That would be excellent, but if you can't find it don't stress over it. I can make do with the lights I have now, I was just curious as to what those lights looked like. Wink

Don't worry, I want to fix the problem to help everyone who mods in the team. Smile

I tracked down the fix but... it's the same files as the ones in our BSA, so apparantly his fix didn't cure the crash bug. Going by the replies in his thread the candles crash in CS v1.2 but not CS v1.0. We should use v1.2, so... I dunno what we should do. I'll think about it, and maybe talk to the other core members about a solution. Smile

black[/hr]

[blockquote]ZDawg replied on March 20th, 07:47 C.E.T.:
All right then.[/blockquote]Then the discussion turned to development of a Redoran Kiln, which I split to its own thread.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
I tracked down the fix but... it's the same files as the ones in our BSA, so apparantly his fix didn't cure the crash bug.
I remember that working for me, but not others. When I found that out, I submitted another fix that changed just the glowmap "_g" textures. IIRC, that was the fix that remedied the problem for most modders. I updated the post you linked to to indicate that. I wasn't aware the candles were still an issue because I was under the impression that the fix was in the BSA.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall where I posted the particular fix that worked. :confused: Maybe I sent it by PM?
As far as I know our last private conversation on the subject was on September 26th 2007, in a PM conversation called RE: Crashing lights.

But we did have a public conversation about them a little over a year ago, which I found just now. This is the fix you were thinking of.

I compared the creation date of the files in the archive you attached with the creation time of the _g files in our BSA. The ones in your archive were created on March 18th, while the ones in the BSA were created on March 15th (except for candleblack_g, which matched). I have no idea why the dates differ. The evidence seem to suggest you sent me glow maps created on March 15th, which I added, then you posted new glow maps created on March 18th which I added - except that only the one glow map got updated.

To add more confusion... the glow maps in my local Oblivion install is the March 18th file versions.
This is very strange ?(
did not see this thread and just crashed my cs after some hard work.
=( bleh darn blackbowl orange
I'm sorry my candles were the cause of the crash. Sad

I don't know what to say about the candle problem. The fix back then was tested, and it seemed to work, but somehow something has changed so that the candles crash the CS again. Whereas my CS did not crash before when I used these candles (I did not seem to be affected by this problem, strangely enough), it does now, so at the very least I can test the candles properly.

It does not look as though the CS crashes when using the STATIC "fake" versions of the candles, so I suggest using those in the meantime (and manually placing a lightbulb light).
TID: I seem to remember that, like me, you were one of the last holdouts against using CS v1.2. Could it be that these were not tested within that version? I think the candles work in CS v1.0 from what I've read.

Steve
Pages: 1 2 3