Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: CLAIM: Visual Design (Banners)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Official 'Black Marsh' General Task Claim for Banner Designs

[/HR]

Banner Designs
AVAILABILITY: Open

[/HR]

As n00biepl0x is no longer available to assist with banners, the thread that began here: Banners is now open as a claim. Please take a look at this thread for ideas. The main guideline is to roughly follow the idea of using tribal vector art and South American designs as shown here: Argonian Cultural Artworks & Icons .

A single artist would probably be best working on these designs as then a sense of uniformity might be achieved.
This is something I would like to try and help with. What exactly is needed?
I think Citysings/shop sings... Check This Thread
Here are a few quick ideas.
Those look nice SwedishFish :yes:
But since this is a thread managed by Ibsen, he'll respond later.

Koniption
I like the Gideon banner most of all!

Btw, this is my Stormhold banner
Nice work, guys!

I'd move that text inwards a little, doz. You need a bit more space between the wooden frame and the start/end of the city name....I'm wondering whether the faint outline of a mountain horizon in the background would add to your hammer design...perhaps with a slash of lightning. Of course, that may make it look a little too cluttered but it might be worth experimenting with. However, your Hammer symbol is looking really good now. Well done! :goodjob:

Even if we don't use something like the mountain/lightning idea on other things like banners then this hammer will work on its own. As it is, I'm thinking that maybe there's a little too much dead space on the sign. It's a nice piece of work though. What do others think?

@ SwedishFish - Gideon looks great! I was thinking it might be too complex at first but you just have to take a second look and then you see what it symbolises. I'd like to stick with Doz's design for Stormhold, however and I think that Thieves Guild design needs developing somehow. I like the shape but it seems too indistinct. Also, we're replacing the thieves with the Sotho Tren (a criminal syndicate) so that might help you to rework it a little. I think my original idea was to have a coin set inside it so something simple yet effective (perhaps a swirl...?) would be good. Then I'd do away with the little bit in the bottom right corner which I can't quite make out.

The other three are really nice! :goodjob:
I posted that in the other thread, My PS doesn't open the sign textures, so I had to make that one with closed eyes
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost

@ SwedishFish - Gideon looks great! I was thinking it might be too complex at first but you just have to take a second look and then you see what it symbolises. I'd like to stick with Doz's design for Stormhold, however and I think that Thieves Guild design needs developing somehow. I like the shape but it seems too indistinct. Also, we're replacing the thieves with the Sotho Tren (a criminal syndicate) so that might help you to rework it a little. I think my original idea was to have a coin set inside it so something simple yet effective (perhaps a swirl...?) would be good. Then I'd do away with the little bit in the bottom right corner which I can't quite make out.

The other three are really nice! :goodjob:

I like the Gideon one the most as well. Doz's design is good. The others made with less effort and it shows a bit. If the bottom right you are referring to was the Mages one, it was supposed to be a tree symbol on an egg and the branches were the cracks in the egg. I saw it was too much effort to begin with so I did a very rough sketch, not wanting to bother with my independent idea if others thought it did not fit the guild.

Here's a new idea for the Sotho Tren-
No, I wasn't referring to the Mages Guild one. I liked that one. I was referring to a part of the original thieves guild symbol where there is an irregular-sided rectangle with a mark inside it. It seems to interrupt and obscure the circle and I couldn't work out the meaning.

I like the new one better although it would be nicer if it was more...condensed, perhaps...? It needs to be instantly recognisable but I'm not sure if the meaning needs to be this obviously criminal. As we haven't fully developed the storyline then I'm not so sure if they would want to use a banner on open display with this design. If they had something a little more ambiguous then they could pass themselves off as a merchant's guild or something. That was the idea with the coin....although I hadn't explained it fully.

I've been thinking of other ideas and kind of like this one: if you ever played the game where you have an object hidden inside one pot out of a total of three pots (two of which would be empty) and you then move them around quickly so that the competitor must guess which pot the object is in then that's one way of looking at how the Sotho Tren might operate (like tricksters). Likewise (and easier to do), you put one coin in one of your fists behind your back and the competitor must choose which fist the coin is in. A bit of 'sleight of hand' also makes this a really sly trick so that you're able to switch over the coin without the competitor noticing so that they always end up choosing wrongly.

Therefore, a possible design might involve two hands side-by-side. One with an open palm and a coin placed inside and the other with the back of a fist, thus suggesting to the poor sucker that strikes a deal with them that the Sotho Tren are generous because, in the symbol, they see the coin and expect profit.....although the reality is normally much less agreeable... =)
Pages: 1 2