Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Sheikizza's Essay on Dunmer Religion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's an essay written by Sheikizza Icemane, who used to be part of the team in the old days. I don't think she intended it to be an in-game book when she wrote it, since she used a real-world analogy (which I struck). I think it serves a good purpose in presenting Dunmer beliefs in an easy-to-read fashion and would be a good addition to the mod. Smile

royalblue[/hr]

[This essay appears to be the work of a budding Imperial scholar, studying religious beliefs in Morrowind]

'Good' and 'Bad' are relative terms and thus rather useless overall, in my opinion. Even among the many cultures of Tamriel, there is no agreement on which Daedra (or Aedra for that matter) are 'good' and which are 'bad'. It just depends on your culture, sub-culture and background.

Before the Tribunal came along and tried to 'discourage' the natural Daedra worship of the Chimeri/Dunmeri peoples, the Dark Elven ancestors had considered most Daedra to be 'good'. Different from us, and with motivations we did not always understand, but good.

The Tribunal Temple tried to do away with the ancient Daedra worship, but failed utterly as such attempts at religious suppression usually do. Many daedra worshippers merely went underground and others became quieter in their faith. I would hazard to guess we may see a great resurgence of Daedric religious institutions in Morrowind again now that the Tribunal is gone. But that is aside from the point.

Many Mer, other than the Dunmer, do not consider the Daedra to be worthy of worship, considering themselves to be the blood decendents of the Aedra. However, many non-Dunmeri peoples still revere certain Daedra like Azura. Many non-dunmeri merely have a 'respect' for these daedra, rather than worshipping them as such.

Which are 'good' and which 'bad' depends on your background and your goals. Obviously many would see Mephala as a 'bad' daedra as she encourages plots, intrigues, and ritual assassinations. However, the Dunmer and the Morag Tong (and those who employ them like the Empire) see her a 'good' Daedra because she encourages ritual assassinations for obtaining 'justice'...not merely for mayhem. Likewise, many a mage of any culture has sought the great book of knowledge held by Hermaeus Mora, the Daedra of knowledge. Is he a good or bad daedra? Depends on your personal view.

In truth, I feel that all the daedra are neither good nor bad. But they are utterly different from us. These are the original beings that existed long before we, Nirn, or the Mundus had been created, and we cannot fathom their motivations. From what I have seen of them, and the Aedra, they are mixed lot with actions of every sort. Some seem quite noble and others seem rather demonic. However, I feel this is merely my limited mer mind ascribing attributes to them that they would laugh at.

I feel that in the end, we are free to think of them what we wish, as they could care less. Their actions and designs have meaning, but to them alone and I fear we in Nirn will only discover what their true purposes have been when that day comes that the gates of Oblivion are opened and they come for us...

gray[/hr]

gray[/hr]

Below is the original, unaltered text.

'Good' and 'Bad' are relative terms and thus rather useless overall, in my opinion. Even among the many cultures of Tamriel, there is no agreement on which Daedra (or Aedra for that matter) are 'good' and which 'bad'...it just depends on your culture, sub-culture and background.

Before the Tribunal came along and tried to 'discourage' the natural Daedra worship of the Chimeri/Dunmeri peoples, the Dark Elven ancestors had considered most Daedra to be 'good'...different from us, alien and with motivations we did not always understand, but good...much in the same way as the ancient Israelites considered Yahweh to be a 'good' deity despite the fact that they often did not understand what he was doing and why, and despite his punishments when they didn't.

The Tribunal Temple tried to do away with the ancient Daedra worship, but failed utterly as such attempts at religious suppression usually do. Many daedra worshippers merely went underground and others became quieter in their faith. I would hazard to guess we may see a great resurgence of Daedric religious institutions in Morrowind again now that the Tribunal is gone...but that is aside from the point.

Many Mer, other than the Dunmer, do not consider the Daedra to be worthy of worship, considering themselves to be the blood decendents of the Aedra. However, many non-Dunmeri peoples still revere certain Daedra like Azura. Many non-dunmeri merely have a 'respect' for these daedra, rather than worshipping them as such.

Which are 'good' and which 'bad' depends on your background and your goals. Obviously many would see Mephala as a 'bad' daedra as she encourages plots, intrigues, and ritual assassinations...however, the Dunmer and the Morag Tong (and those who employ them like the Empire) see her a 'good' Daedra because she encourages ritual assassinations for obtaining 'justice'...not merely for mayhem. Likewise, many a mage of any culture has sought the great book of knowledge held by Hermaeus Mora, the Daedra of knowledge. Is he a good or bad daedra? Depends on your personal view...

In truth, I feel that all the daedra are neither good nor bad...but they are utterly different from us. These are the original beings that existed long before we, Nirn, or the Mundus had been created, and we cannot fathom their motivations. From what I have seen of them, and the Aedra, they are mixed lot with actions of every sort. Some seem quite noble and others seem rather demonic. However, I feel this is merely my limited mer mind ascribing attributes to them that they would laugh at.

I feel that in the end, we are free to think of them what we wish, as they could care less. Their actions and designs have meaning, but to them alone and I fear we in Nirn will only discover what their true purposes have been when that day comes that the gates of Oblivion are opened and they come for us...
perhaps ingame it can be "disguised" as the writings of an Altmer? I think would be analytical of theocracy... scorning it and trying to understand it?
Wow...that is some old stuff you dug up there, Razorwing.

Personally, I have some doubts concerning the authour...she is clearly insane, but I will leave it up to you to decide if you wish to include her ramblings in the library at Silgrad.

Hope everyone here is doing well.

-Kizza
I like it, its very insightful, both to the position of the Daedra and Aedra in the minds of the various peoples of Nirn, as well as to those people's actual outlooks. And how old is this, because that little cliffhanger at the end must certainly have been made with knowledge of Oblivion, as it is simply too perfect. Great job. :goodjob:
Actually, that was written back in like 2002 I believe, long before we knew about Oblivion. But then, the history of Tamriel has always been building to this point...and it became inevitable after the death of Sotha Sil. Clearly the events of Morrowind heralded the opening of the Gates of Oblivion as we have always known would come some day...
Sheikizza:
Nice to see you around the boards again. Thanks for dropping by, and for letting us feature your story. Smile

My first impression when I read it was that it was homework by a teenage scholar in Cyrodiil. Not because of the quality of writing, which is perfect, but because it touches huge subjects very lightly -- which is a good thing for a book who would give the player an easy overview of how it works. Maybe the player would find it in the Silgrad library, making it appear as she had forgotten to take it with her? We could even sign it with her name, and have a mini-quest where the player has to find her and return it to her in two days or else she fails her class, hehe. :elk:

How do you figure the writer is insane? I didn't pick up on that, so maybe I missed something.
Quote:Actually, that was written back in like 2002 I believe, long before we knew about Oblivion. But then, the history of Tamriel has always been building to this point...and it became inevitable after the death of Sotha Sil. Clearly the events of Morrowind heralded the opening of the Gates of Oblivion as we have always known would come some day...

Oh, well I must say that I have neither the wealth of knowledge concerning Elder Scrolls lore nor the insight to apply it so flawlessly into an entertaining yet enlightening piece of short literature that you do.

Quote:My first impression when I read it was that it was homework by a teenage scholar in Cyrodiil. Not because of the quality of writing, which is perfect, but because it touches huge subjects very lightly -- which is a good thing for a book who would give the player an easy overview of how it works. Maybe the player would find it in the Silgrad library, making it appear as she had forgotten to take it with her? We could even sign it with her name, and have a mini-quest where the player has to find her and return it to her in two days or else she fails her class, hehe.

That would be pretty funny, though there would have to be some grand reward, considering its homework. Wink

Quote:How do you figure the writer is insane? I didn't pick up on that, so maybe I missed something.

I think she was just sarcasticly critiscizing herself. Otherwise I missed out on that as well.
Lol razor if you realy need books do sun tzu's art of war i think it would folow the basic lore of morrowind

And its 100% legal to use the book since the copyright on the book has ended a long time ago
check gutenberg.org
xchaosdragon666x:
Hehe. No.
Quote:
Quote:How do you figure the writer is insane? I didn't pick up on that, so maybe I missed something.

I think she was just sarcasticly critiscizing herself. Otherwise I missed out on that as well.

Bingo...

^_^

BTW...that article has been used (and I think still is used) by the Imperial Library site on their Daedra page if I recall. I think I recall being asked for permission to use it long ago, and I think I have seen it there. Been a while since I was over that way.
Pages: 1 2