Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Let's decide what's up with Gideon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just something I've been thinking about. We all know that there's supposedly something very wrong and sinister with the city of Gideon, but what? I think it would be best not to give away too many details, so people can leave it to their imaginations, but we need to work on making the place truly creepy to visit. So, ideas anyone?

My plan was that the city could literally be completely locked up at night. Even the guards barricade themselves into the watchtower and don't go out into the streets. If you're staying in the city overnight, timed activators inside the houses play creepy noises until dawn. If you ask the inhabitants about it, they give the player cryptic answers about why it's not safe to go out.

And of course, if the player foolishly decides to stay out and discover the source of the mystery, they get attacked by dark forces. I wasn't thinking of creatures as such, more of a sustained assault on the player's sanity Big Grin Weird sound effects, lights in the distance, even having it scripted to progressively blind the player and blur their vision (in the same way as the falling rocks do) as darkness closes in around them.

What do you think? Let's have your ideas.
I like your idea. But after a while people would realize it's fake and not care about it anymore. there needs to be a threat.
I think you should aim for an atmosphere similar to the Thief games - creepy ambient sounds, not just of creatures, but perhaps sppoky buildups of sound (hard to put into words, but I'm sure IG will know what I'm on about).

If you do plan on putting a threat in, either tie it into quests or (preferably) make it random, very rare and a challenge. You could script events (e.g. sightings of a creatue, killings, maybe) to happen randomly, so that there is no feeling of a fake threat, but have any actual encounter be rare.
Then you might make it so like npcs can just encounter the threat as well. Be it random. and that they have the chance of meeting it as soon s they leave their house.
Hmmmmmm, interesting ideas. Big Grin

If we could script a creature (Shade, or something to that effect) to appear from no where, and attack a few times, then disappear. That'd be fun.

But the sound effects could be adapted to do almost anything. You could have someone laughing when you walk past alleys, but have no one there. Random animal noises, only if the noises are going to be there occassionally there have to be creatures as to make the threat real. We have to scare even the most godly characters.
I had a cool idea awhile back. You're walking through the city, no one is out. It's dark. All of the sudden you hear a voice, "I see you!". Then a face appears on the player screen and they're not only scared shitless, but if you add Deeza's blinding idea, it'd be fantastic.

Though there has to be another side of this coin. You can't have these things happen ALL the time. and there has to be a way to make the effects less likely. Like a ring, or amulet. Maybe even a spell.
I was thinking after you finish a quest in Gideon(Yet to be decided) the attacks will just stop. But It'd have to be killing the count, or some dark sorcerer.

You could call the effects "ghost sickness". And the effects continue to worsen until you finish the quest. You have to hunt down a certain ghost/creature and kill it. Its easy, yet effective. Yay T.V. shows!

I agree with Nick_op too. There should be random deaths, glimpses of "Creatures"(effects?), scripted lights to flicker and go off/on. A will-O-wisp would be made to always run from the player, making the random lights. Just make it REALLY fast, and a different color.

Anyways...just have fun. Make it as simple and effective as possible.
I know that Ibsen's Ghost has compared Gates to Aesgaard to the atmosphere in the Thief games before, and I think I recall him mentioning that ThePriest909 might help out over here at some point (correct me if I'm wrong, IG). Seems like he'd be the ideal person for Gideon.
The ideas of the wisps are good. they should work just fine. But the face on the screen would be a bit too much I think. The threat has to be real. Not just a face that pop ups.

I personally havent played the gates to aesgaard quests. But any help is welcome. But do note it has to fit with the lore. Nothing too over the top I think.
Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
I think you should aim for an atmosphere similar to the Thief games - creepy ambient sounds, not just of creatures, but perhaps sppoky buildups of sound (hard to put into words, but I'm sure IG will know what I'm on about).

I certainly do =) . And both Tlo1048's ideas and the suggestion of ThePriest909 taking over the 'city quests' for Gideon are all lovely ideas. I'm afraid, however, that not many people are going to like the post I'm about to make next...
hahaha, it was...interesting to read. Not going to lie. Smile

I realise that what I'm about to say will most likely anger a few people.
But Gideon was planned LONG before the vast majority of you joined the mod. It's my baby. It was supposed to be my major gift to BM.
I'm just throwing around ideas, and I realise that alot are outlandish. But you've got to understand that this city means almost as much to me as the entire mod.

If Priest909 is seen fit to make Gideon better than I, then it shall be. But I don't want someone from the "Outside" to just take over.

Just take it into consideration.

EDIT: Mind you I have No idea who Priest909 is. So if there are things I should know about him/her, feel free to enlighten me.
Oh, no. That's fine. ThePriest909 was just a suggestion and I'd still appreciate him joining us but he was interested in entirely different ideas I had before this notion was raised.

If you disagreed with me on the matter of PhiniusMaster completing his claim, however, I would have to follow my assertive mood at present and say, "no. You left. That's life." but I know from experience that you're mature enough to accept that....besides which, I think PH is only interested in doing the design work anyway and appreciates your guidance and ideas. I'm on the warpath today.

Edit - Don't know ThePriest909, huh? If you haven't played Oblivion for a while and feel like a quick blast then you're in for a treat. This is the website: http://gatestoaesgaard2.webs.com/ . Personally, I preferred episode 1....it just tasted of the 'Thief' experience to me.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4