Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Valenwood mainquest.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quest One: Passage to Valenwood

The player “wakes up” on the trashed ship in the middle of the storm. Journal updates:
“You are thrown from the bed by a terrible jolt. The ship seems to be tilting wildly and you can feel water lapping at your feet. Something has gone terribly wrong.”
Sammanul runs up and tells the player:
“You're alive! I thought there was nobody left down here. The ship is holed and sinking fast – we have to get up on deck!”
Player: What happened?
Sammanul: A huge storm, the most powerful I've ever seen. It came from nowhere out of clear skies, and ran us straight onto a reef!
Player: Do you have a plan?
Sammanul: We have to cut loose the rowboats, before they are dragged down with the ship. We are miles from land – that will be our only chance of survival.
Player runs up through the ship with Sammanul, seeing one or two other NPCs panicking, screaming “We're all going to die! etc.” Once the player reaches the rowboat, touching it will set off a script that teleports the player to....

Player “wakes up” on the beach of the small island. They see Sammanul right in front of them, fighting off a swarm of giant spiders! After the player charges in and kills the last of them, player has a talk with Sammanul:
“You fight well, considering you were unconscious a moment ago. I'm impressed. It seems not all Cyrodiils are as soft as I thought. We should see if there are any other survivors.”
The player explores the small island, soon finding the beach with the main wreck site, where Boldur, Craelius and Vuldon gro-Murlok are waiting around. Craelius has gone crazy due to the trauma of the shipwreck, and is now walking around the beach half-naked saying bizarre dialogue along the lines of “I am the king of the turnips, fear me!” and so on.
The player talks to Boldur:
Boldur: “You made it! I was afraid we were the only ones.”
Player: “Where are we?”
Boldur: “That storm must have blown us far of course. By my estimation from the sun's position, we've ended up on one of the Abacean Isles. Nobody ever sails here. I don't know if they are even inhabited.”
Player: “So what do we do?”
Boldur: “The Captain is missing, so I am assuming command. Follow my orders and we'll soon get off this island.”
Player: “And how do you propose to do that?”
Boldur: “You see the trees? There's wood everywhere on these islands, enough to make a dozen rafts. The mainland isn't far away, it's possible to sail there if we're lucky.”
The player goes to talk to Sammanul, who isn't impressed:
Sammanul: “Boldur is a fool. Building a raft and sailing to the mainland will take days, and in this heat, without fresh water we would be dead long before then.”
Player: Do you have a better idea?
Sammanul: “Come with me. You seem to be a sensible person. Let us leave Boldur to build his boat, and go to find water and food that will keep us alive.”

Quest Two: Water of Life

Sammanul follows the player over to the larger islands. Several Bosmer hunter NPCs have scripts to wander around the islands and initiate talk with the player when they meet:
Bosmer hunter: “Halt! You are not native to these isles and we don't like strangers. If you want to live, come with us!”
The player can either agree, and follow them to the Chief's house, or fight them. Either way, the player will eventually arrive at the village (all the Bosmer NPCs refuse to talk to the player until they have spoken with the chief).

Chieftain: “I bid you welcome. From your looks you are not here by choice. How did you come to our islands?”
Player: [You explain your story]
Chieftain: “A familiar story, all too common in this part of the world. You were fortunate to survive.”
Player: [Ask about taking the boat to the mainland]
Chieftain: “Quite impossible. The boat is the only one we have. How could we ever be sure you would return it? Forgive our distrust, but outsiders have done nothing to earn our favour.”
Player: Then may we build our own raft?
Chieftain: “You... dare to suggest you would harm a... a... plant? Cut down... a tree?”
Player: I don't understand you.
Chieftain: We are the Bosmer. The sap-people. We obey the Green Pact, and we shall not allow anyone to harm so much as a leaf of these Isles. If you have broken the Pact you must die by our bows.”
Player: But this is ridiculous!
Chieftain: “We are not like our brethren on the mainland. We do not pick and choose from the Green Pact as we like. The mainland has trees to spare, so perhaps they can be lenient in their dealings with outsiders. Here, our trees are few, and any who would harm them must die.”
“How could we have known?”
“Perhaps you are right. Maybe outsiders cannot be expected to understand the.... relationship we enjoy with the herbs and flora. Perhaps, there is a way to atone for your first offence.”
“And what would that be?”
“The heart coral of the sea, despite appearances, is not a plant but a creature. Break its fronds, spill its blood, feed it to the trees. Put back what was taken, and we shall put this infringement behind us.”
“What must I do?”
“You think you can survive? You are mad for sure! But I like this about you. It shall be most entertaining to watch you try. Go with our shaman – she knows the rituals you will need.”

The shaman talks to the player, unable to conceal her disgust.
“Let's get going, herbivore (she says it like an insult, as a human would say “murderer”),”
Quest marker activates and the player follows the shaman towards it out of the village.
If the player talks to Sammanul he says:
“You certainly handled those Bosmer well. I'm thinking I made a good decision to stay with you. Go with them, but be careful. Watch for tricks. I will remain here and find out what I can.”

Quest Three: Keeping the Pact

The shaman leads the player to the beach closest to the heart coral reef, and casts a constant effect spell of water breathing on the player. She orders them to:
“Swim out as far as you can then dive. The rituals have been completed. The heart coral lies deep on the sea bed – you will recognise it easily for it glows. Now hurry!”
The player does as instructed and finds the Heart Coral item (it's at the bottom of the reef, with a source of light behind it so that it appears to glow). Once the player picks it up, the water breathing disables and several sharks spawn behind the player and attack! The player must either swim away or kill them (they carry the item “shark's teeth” - use daedroth teeth as a base item). Then get back to the shaman, who seems shocked:
“You... survived. This was.... unexpected. By spilling your own blood and that of the heart coral, the Pact is restored. You and your friends may roam freely across the Isles – but remember not to harm plants of any kind.”

Quest Four: There Are Others

The player heads back to the village, picks up Sammanul, then heads back to the other survivors (by this stage, they have established a small camp a fire, which could be scripted to enable once the third quest is finished).

On the way back, a new character, Volus, spawns behind the player and engages them in conversation:
“People! Real, civilised people! I can't believe my eyes. Thank the Nine I got to you before those Bosmer did.”
“Who are you?”
“I am Volus Mesperides, Captain of the good ship Prosperity. Or I was, before I was wrecked on this island's reefs by a sudden storm. Exactly as you were.”
How did you know that?
“It's no surprise. They lure the ships here, and they wreck them. How else do you think their homes are made of wood, when they refuse to cut down trees? Strip the ships down for timber, eat the crew. That's their way.”
But how can they do that?
Now is not the place. If others survived from your ship you must warn them. It may not be long before the Bosmer start feeling like a snack. Meet me at [insert location name here], and hurry.”

The player goes back to Boldur:
“You look like you've had a rough time. What news?”
Player: [You fill Boldur in on the recent events]
Boldur: “They have a boat, and the bastards won't let us use it! I think this Volus may be right, they have something sick in store for us. We must find out more. Go to meet him, but be careful.”

The player goes to meet Volus:
Volus: “I realise my story may seem a little far-fetched. So I will show you proof. Come with me.”
He takes the player to the Clearing of Bones then says:
Volus: “This is all that's left of most of my crew. Half of us survived the wreck, and the Bosmer seemed friendly enough at first. But they were just putting us off guard. Those who couldn't hide fast enough were eaten within a week. Now do you believe me?”
“How did you escape?”
“We have a secret place. The Bosmer think it's sacred or some nonsense like that, so there's no chance of finding us there. I will show you.”

Volus leads the player to Volus' Cave, where you meet his surviving crew – all very heavily armed and not very friendly. Amazingly, the Captain is also there, having been found on the beach by Volus' men.
Volus: Now that you're here we can talk safely. I don't want to run the risk of the Bosmer realising that I've figured out their little scheme.”
“Go on.”
Volus: “Since ancient times, these islands have had unnatural weather. Ships going missing, even whole fleets. Storms and walls of water appearing out of nowhere. And after spying on the village for months I think I know what's causing it.”
“What could possibly...”
Volus: “They call it the Wrecking-Stone. It manipulates the weather, crushing any ship that gets too close to these islands. Even the Altmer Dominion was never able to conquer the place. It's the perfect defence.”
“So this was what wrecked our ships?”
Volus: “And more. The Bosmer may have forgotten its real name, but its fame has spread even to Cyrodiil. That stone is nothing less than a fully working Falaithrun Laidrul.”
“A what?”
Volus: “An old sailor's legend. Or we thought it was. The ancient Aldmer made them, placed them on islands all over the world, controlling the weather so their ships would always have safe passage. Only two were known to survive, and are kept by the Altmer.”
“So a third stone is somewhere on this island?”
Volus: “Yes, and it gets worse. Even if we were to steal the Bosmer boat and escape, they could summon up a storm and kill us anyway. We cannot escape from the islands unless we can destroy the Wrecking-Stone.”
“How can we find it?”
Volus: “I already have. It's in a cave on the largest island, but it is guarded. With the survivors from your ship, we finally have the manpower to storm the village and escape this prison. Are you with me?”
Player: “Let me discuss this with the others.”

Quest Five: Unravelling the Past

Journal update: “If Volus is telling the truth, all the survivors are in danger. But what if he isn't? Attacking the village could be even more risky. Better make certain of the facts before deciding what to do. You must try to find out what really happened.”

Sammanul says:
“There's something not quite right about Volus. Call it my Ashlander instincts. I think there is more to this than he has told us. You seem to have some connection with the Bosmer, so try to find out what you can from them. I will see what I can get out of Volus' men.”
And with that he wanders off, leaving the player to his own devices.

The player now can go and talk to anyone they want, in any order, in an attempt to find out the truth. However, once they've talked to the Shaman, Marius, the Chieftain, Uldib (a Bosmer hunter), and Sammanul, journal entry comes up: “You've found out all you can, and time is running short. You should get back to Boldur and discuss your plans.”

The two topics now available for all these characters are “Volus” and “Wrecking-Stone”.

Chieftain: “So, you've heard the name? I refuse to discuss the actions of that piece of human scum. You will have to ask elsewhere.”
Wrecking-Stone: “How did you learn of that? If I find out who told you, I swear I'll cut out his tongue! Forget you ever heard that name, or I'll make you wish you never had.”

Shaman: “I knew you would find out sooner or later. He came here months ago with his men, making all sorts of threats. And he followed through on them.”
Player: What kind of threats?”
“Death threats. His men killed several of our people before we drove them into the sea. The Chief saw Volus drown. He deserved it.”
“Why would he do all that?”
“I do not wish to talk about this any more. It brings back too many painful memories.”
Wrecking-Stone: “It is nothing more than an old legend. Storms around these islands are very frequent, and so over time a... myth developed to explain them. No magic is powerful enough to bend the weather to its will, for storms are controlled at the whim of the Earthbones.”

Marius (he is one of Volus' men in the cave):
“I'm Marius, spellsword. Formerly the magical expert of the good ship Prosperity. Volus said that another ship had been wrecked. How may I help you?”
Player: “Why did you come to these islands?”
“By accident. Our ship was chartered by a group of mages, sailing to southern Valenwood, where I was to assist them with conducting archaeological research.”
Player: “Research into what?”
“The ancient Aldmer. They were the oldest and most powerful of all the Elves, and yet they left almost no traces. They were searching for artefacts in the remote forests of Valenwood. Ironic, isn't it, that they were all killed by an Aldmeri artefact?”
Player: You mean the Wrecking-Stone?
“Yes. Falaithrun Laidrul is its Aldmeris name. Supposedly, forty of them were manufactured by the Aldmer to keep their shipping lanes free from storms. I always thought they were a legend or at least an exaggeration. But there's no doubt the storms that wrecked us were created by magic.”

Uldib (a Bosmer hunter in the village):
“That man was a pirate and a murderer. My only regret about his death is that I wasn't able to kill him myself. His thugs killed four of us, my sister among them.”
Player: Why would he do that?
[Uldib becomes furious] “The Wrecking-Stone! The only reason he came here was because he wanted to take it! He had three ships full of his pirate scum, but luckily the stone killed most of them before they could land.”
Player: Why would he want the stone?
Uldib: “Even when the stone is inactive, it was powerful enough to wreck your ship. Can you imagine what would happen if its full energies were turned on a fleet, or on a port city?”
Player: I'm not sure I want to.
Uldib: “With the Wrecking-Stone he would have been king of the seas. No navy in the world could have stopped him. But he is dead, and you will never leave these islands. The secret is safe.”

WHEN YOU FINALLY GET TO BOLDUR:
Boldur is furious at the Bosmer:
“Those monsters! It was lucky you met this Volus. I fear we may have to kill or be killed. You say he has a safe hiding place? We should go there immediately.”
Craelius refuses to go with you. Boldur and the orc follow the player to Volus' cave.
Volus: “You're back, and you've brought friends. Now we can take them on. But something needs to be taken care of first.”
Player: What?
Volus: “I don't know how far they can control the Wrecking-Stone, but I don't want to take the chance they could use it against us in battle. We must make sure that doesn't happen.”
Player: What's your plan?
Volus: “Boldur and the others will stay here to arm themselves and discuss strategy. You and me must get to the cave and take the stone. Go and prepare, take what you need. Come back to me when you're ready.”

OPTION 1:
Player goes with Volus:
“Good. I knew I could rely on you. We'll have to move fast. Here, I've marked the cave on your map. You go on ahead, I'll watch your back.”

OPTION 2:
Player decides not to trust Volus and goes to talk to the Chieftain:
“What do you want this time? You are fast becoming an annoyance.”
Player: Volus is still alive.
“What? But I saw him drown myself! What is he still doing here?”
Player: He knows where the Wrecking-Stone is.
“No! Have you any idea what that stone can do if it's handled by an incompetent? We cannot let it get into that pirate's hands!”
Player: He will make his move soon.
“I have no choice but to believe you. But I still suspect this may be a trap. Only one thing will convince me you are sincere. You must intercept Volus and kill him.”
Player: Is there no other way?
“We have no time! Go with Uldib, my people's best warrior. I don't want you wandering off on your own. I have marked the stone's resting place on your map.”
Uldib will now follow the player:
“You go first. Any funny business and I'll gladly stab you in the back.”

Quest Six: The Wrecking-Stone

There are two paths to this quest, depending on whether the player decided to side with the Bosmer or with Volus. The player must go with either Uldib or Volus to the Wrecking Caverns, a cave that's underwater just off the main island. Once the player enters, only the first section of tunnel is flooded, after that it slopes upwards and the player enters a cave with two Bosmer guards in it. If the player is with Uldib, they allow you to pass, but if you're with Volus, you must fight them.

The player is now in the islands' largest, most epic dungeon. It's a maze of traps, wild creatures and flooded sections. If necessary, we could make this out of several different interior cells to get around issues over water levels. Also the place is filled with strange green and blue lights and lots of plants, ferns etc. sprouting up through the floor and walls. As the player gets deeper and deeper (and closer to the middle), they start to see more and more traces of ancient buildings (Ayleid arches in the middle of corridors, and so on. Eventually there is an Ayleid door (renamed “Ancient Aldmer Door”) that leads into a badly overgrown Aldmer ruin, full of plants. In the centre is the Chamber of the Wrecking-Stone. It's important that there are two entrances at opposite sides, otherwise the next part doesn't make any sense, because:

Either Uldib or Volus is waiting for you! The player can't move (like in the beginning when the Emperor dies), as the following scene plays out:
Volus: So it's you again, bastard cannibal! Why am I not surprised?
Uldib: Don't think I've forgotten my sister, Imperial. Thank Yffre for delivering you to me! I promise that I'll make sure you die slowly for what you've done.”
Volus: What I'VE done? More than half my crew are dead because of you!
Uldib: You have only your own greed to blame for what is about to befall you.
Volus: We'll see about that!

Then they fight. No matter who the player tries to help, Uldib will soon get killed by Volus, who then screams:
“That...sword... poisoned! Sneaky son of an... Aaargh!”
Then he drops dead. The player takes the Wrecking-Stone and teleports back to the entry cavern, where the guards are now dead whichever path you took (Volus killed them if you went with Uldib). Sammanul is waiting there:
“What have you been doing? I only just found this place. I've been searching everywhere for you. Boldur and the others are getting ready to attack the village!”
Player: Volus and Uldib are both dead.
“Then I'm too late. With those two missing, both sides will blame the other. We cannot stop it now. What of the Wrecking-Stone?”
Player: I have it.
“That explains why the weather has gone mad. A few moments ago a storm came out of nowhere. It's like on the ship all over again.”
Player: “It must be because the stone was moved.”
“Then we should take it to someone who knows more about it than us. There's no telling what it could do if we let it run out of control. The question is, who?”
Player: EITHER: Only the Bosmer can control this thing. OR: We can't trust the Bosmer.

“You are right. We cannot allow the stone to get into the hands of pirates like Volus' men. Let us get back to the village while we still can.”
OR:
“You are right. The Bosmer used the stone against us before. They could do so again. We must put our faith in Volus' spellsword, and hope he can control the stone.”

Quest Seven: Survival of the Fittest

The Final Battle! Player goes either to the Chietain of the village or to Boldur and gives them the Wrecking-Stone. The island's weather is now permanently scripted to thunderstorm.

Chieftain: “Where is Uldib?”
Player: Volus killed him.
Chieftain: “No! This is too much to bear! And what of Volus?”
Player: He is dead too.
Chieftain: “Good. You've picked a bad time to return, stranger. Your friends are marching to attack the village as we speak, and they have taken the Wrecking-Stone from its resting place! Give me one reason I shouldn't kill you now!”
Player: Don't worry, I have the stone here.
Chieftain: By the gods! I don't know why you have turned against your own kind, but I will not forget what you have done for us today. Take it to the Shaman immediately!
Shaman: You have roused the stone's fury by moving it! But, better that than the enemy taking it hostage. Here, I will perform the ritual to calm its power.
Player: [You hear the sounds of thunder outside fading away]
Shaman: Now go back to the Chieftain. By doing this you have chosen to side with us to the bitter end. Your friendship will be repaid, if we survive. There is a battle to fight!

OR ALTERNATIVELY:
Boldur: “You're back! Where's Volus? And what the hell is happening to the sky?”
Player: Volus is dead. The stone seems to be causing another storm.
Boldur: “Those Bosmer will pay for that! But quick, take that stone to Marius the spellsword, before it does anything else!”
Marius: “I've never seen an enchantment this complex. It seems to have been triggered in a way I don't fully understand. Tell me, was there anything else around it?”
Player: I found it on a pedestal covered in runes.
Marius: That would explain it. The Aldmer were truly incredible mages! Those must have been secondary enchantments to contain the stone's power. If I can just weave something similar...
Player: [You hear the sounds of thunder outside fading away]
Marius: That should hold it for now. But I need more time to study it. You, Boldur and the others have to buy me some time. Hurry, before the Bosmer come looking for this thing!”

The weather is now returned to normal. The player goes to either Boldur or the Chieftain:
Chieftain: They're attacking the village! We must stop them. Go ahead, I'll follow. Nothing personal, but I don't trust you enough to turn my back to you.”
Boldur: It's only a matter of time before they attack us now. You've spent more time in the village than anyone else, so you lead the way!”

There are two ways this can end. Either the player kills Boldur and Volus' men or the player kills the Chieftain and his hunters. The other Bosmer characters, and Craelius, will not participate and run away from combat. There are two endings:

BOSMER WIN:
Chieftain: You have done us a great service this day. I dread to think what those pirates would have done to the village if they had won. Even better, they can feed us for weeks now, and finally be of some use.
Player: Forgive me if I don't join you for that victory feast.
Chieftain: Of course, this is not your home. Which amazes me even more that you fought to protect it. You and your dark elf friend will be long remembered on these islands. Take this as a token of our gratitude. [Hands player a cool enchanted item]
Player: So am I to stay here?
Chieftain: You, the dark elf and your strange naked friend may stay here as long as you wish. But when it is time for you to leave, it can be arranged.
Player: How?
Chieftain: Take our boat. Now, looking at it only reminds me of all the death we have seen this day. We shall make another untainted by the past. I wish that it brings you more happiness than it has brought us.

BOLDUR WINS:
[Player finds the key to the boat and the enchanted item on the Chieftain's body)
Boldur: “The key! You have it! Quick, let's fight our way to the boat and leave before they regroup!”
The player heads to the boat, and the surviving characters get on board and sail off back to Cyrodiil, leaving Craelius behind on the islands. You can use the boat to return later if you want, but the surviving islanders will refuse to talk to you.

EITHER WAY, Sammanul says:
“So much death. And for what? I just wish there could have been another way.”
Player: What will you do now?
“I think I've seen enough of Imperial civilisation. I shall head for Valenwood, and try to put all this behind me. Will you come with me? What say you to a new adventure?”

And Craelius says:
“It's all clear to me now. All my life I feel as though I have been dreaming... the islands, the sea, they were always waiting for me... I can never go back to the city now!
Player: You're serious?
“There's so much to learn here... Don't you see? I've waited my whole life for this moment! This is my home now!”

This was orginally posted by Deeza
I like it, btw here is the icon, and please, if you really don't like it, tell me what to fix.
i think that it looks good. but could you remove the branch on the right. and make the blue background abit darker.

EDIT, and add some more shadow behind the tree.
You mean those black lines?
yes, the black lines behind the tree, could you let them fade into the blue?
Nope, unfortunately...
well then it is perfect as it is. GREAT work!
could you make one more icon for the Project??.

I was thinking something like an icon which showed the three islands from above.

use our map for guidelines.
http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/attachment.p...ntid=15384

if you are up for it that is.
A questicon? In the same coloures?
yes, same colours as the tree one :goodjob:
Wait a second isn't that icon from Heroes of M&M?
Pages: 1 2