Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Nifskope...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I know, what good is a Modeler for oblivion, if he cant even use nifskope?

But! Big Grin

is there any good tuts you guys know of for armor creation, (armor seems to be alot harder to make than weapons in nifskope for some reason ;/ )

I'd really appreciate it =)

Thanks

-Fav
Quote:Originally posted by Favill
Okay, I know, what good is a Modeler for oblivion, if he cant even use nifskope?

But! Big Grin

is there any good tuts you guys know of for armor creation, (armor seems to be a lot harder to make than weapons in nifskope for some reason ;/ )

I'd really appreciate it =)

Thanks

-Fav

hahaha, I've been dwelling in Nifskope for about 4-5 years now, and I can tell you I STILL don't know how to do armor piecing. It just doesn't work in the CS!

Weapons are just drag-and-drop, armor piecing is just a pain in the ass.

Sorry I'm no help. ?(
armor is done 95% in your modeling program of choice. all you need nifskope for is updating skin data (spells>batch>update all skin partitions). you can also use nifskope to move your nitristrips to a new skeleton, or to piece together new armor from existing pieces, but other than that armor is all within your modeling program.
Lady Nerevar is correct. To make completely new armor pieces, you need to make and then skin the armor in a 3D modeling program.

But you "can" piece together armor from preexisting mesh pieces in NIfskope, to get a semi-custom look. I sent the following info to you via PM, but I'm gonna post the info here as well.
So you're trying to piece armor together in Nifskope..

Remember these tips:

*All armor for characters are skinned to the bones/skeleton, except for the occasional helmet.

*Because of this, each piece of armor, whether boots, cuirass, or whatever, uses one or more bones that they are skinned to.

*To see the list of bones for, say, boots: Open the boots in NIfskope and click on the boot mesh (there may be more than one NiTriStrips for each piece of armor - open up each one).

*Go to the NiSkinInstance of each NiTriStrips, and go to Block Details for it. Then , in that, expand the "Bones" column, and you'll see all the bones that the NiTriStrip uses. Make a note of these.

*BEFORE you copy and past a NiTriStrip of an armor piece into another armor in Nifskope, make sure that the bones the armor piece uses are already present in the nifskope window you're pasting into (the bones are labeled with prefix “Bip01” and then followed by like “Pelvis”: Bip 01 Pelvis.

*Under no circumstances should you delete any bones from either nifskope window, because if a skinned NiTriStrip uses them and the bone(s) are removed, that bone reference will be removed from the NiSkinData, and the armor piece won't work right. You can, however, add bones if you need to, by copy/paste from one window to another, to add support for a bone that isn't in the second window. Just don't delete any bones.

*After pasting the mesh into a second window, check the NiSkinData in Block Details again, and make sure the “Skeleton Root” is set to zero (“0”). If it isn't, set it to zero.

*When done, go to “Spells”, “Batch”, then click on “Make all skin partitions”. Just click through the window(s), saying yes or ok to everything, then save the nif and test it.

*Lastly, there may be some clipping of semi-pieced mesh pieces when they animate in the game. This really can only be fixed by reskinning the vertex weights in a 3D modeling program, or even remodeling certain parts of the mesh if necessary.

Koniption
Quote:*Lastly, there may be some clipping of semi-pieced mesh pieces when they animate in the game. This really can only be fixed by reskinning the vertex weights in a 3D modeling program, or even remodeling certain parts of the mesh if necessary.

you can resize and rotate pieces in nifskope as well, often it is possible to eliminate or at least reduce clipping that way.