Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Mangrove SpeedTree
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok, here is the dealio.

I have managed to make a mangrove speedtree that has the tree and the roots in one file. However there is a problem, the collision does not export. I think this is because speedtree collision normally covers the trunk, and on this model the trunk is practically non-existent.

The usual advantage of speedtrees is that you can get several variants from one file using various speedtree seeds. We can still do that, but if we use several refences in the cs with only one seed for each, then we can also manually add collision with collision boxes.

Is this an acceptable compromise? They are massive trees so I wouldn't expect them to be too common. I had thought maybe 4-5 CS refences would probably suffice for variability.

x

edd
iirc, collision is done via a .nif file separate from the .spt - so woudnt it be theoretically possible to just make approximate collisions that way?

btw, while were on the topic of speedtrees, is there any tutorial with them in relation to oblivion?
nope collision should be exported as part of the .spt file, but it doesn't seem to want to do it for me.

The reason i wanted to use hand placed collision boxes is because these need better than approximate, the scale isnt well represented, but you can easily fit a person under one of the larger arches, and the smaller arches are a little under head height.

a basic collision mesh could be done for the central column, as it is with the normal speedtrees, but the roots would likely have to be hand-done.

x

edd

p.s. there are zero tutorials, apart from razorwings one on billboards. but people seem to have picked up things along the way.
I'm kind of going off-track a little from the collision topic here but I thought I'd mention the fact that I think large mangroves would fit rather nicely with the existing mangroves. KP's mangroves are .nif files and as such don't move in the breeze but you wouldn't normally expect small objects to be that shaky anyway....

One possible issue is the fact that, strictly-speaking, there is no great need for mangroves in the beta seeing as Darkmoor will mainly feature other tree types so I was just thinking I would scatter the mangroves round the edges for the time being.

However, if you take a look at our maps: All Maps , you will notice that the area outlined for Darkmoor has under it a thin but considerable strip of land designated as the 'Sisiha mangroves' which would look odd if it wasn't modded. Therefore, I think it might be best if I were to use the region generation of Darkmoor to cover this region as well (or at least partly). If sandor is happy with the idea, I can then split the two and select a couple of different tree types and textures (like Senten's mangrove textures which exist only to a lesser degree in Darkmoor).

This is something that's been on my mind for a while now - the need to have a 'buffer zone' of generated content that the PC can enter partially but will be turned away from using border control similar to Tamriel's....and not have to bear witness to a blank landscape...which is an immersion-killer.
yeh, i realise they aren't integral to the beta, but having them along the border sounds good. Still are we ok with the collision issue?
It should be okay. I'll have to check it in-game though. I'm not sure how having lots of collision boxes would affect the FPS and I'm hoping that some cleverly placed formations of a small number of them can be used. I should then be able to be mass-produce the effect without too much trouble i.e. I should be able to just select and duplicate the trees and collision boxes together before dragging each tree to its location in the landscape.
grrr... giant mangroves just aren't goind to work Sad

even with only one seed the trees are slightly different in game than in the cs, so lining up the collisionboxes is impossible. I'm afraid these are just going to have to be little mangroves after all Sad

if we want giant ones at any stage they are going to have to be hand modelled...

x

edd
doesnt some version of speedtree allow you to export .obj files?
Quote:Originally posted by llamaranger
grrr... giant mangroves just aren't goind to work Sad

even with only one seed the trees are slightly different in game than in the cs, so lining up the collisionboxes is impossible. I'm afraid these are just going to have to be little mangroves after all Sad

if we want giant ones at any stage they are going to have to be hand modelled...

x

edd

Well, if you did make a giant speedtree mangrove, couldn't you just use a series of individual rectangular/square collision boxes and place them around the roots in the CS render window. Make sure the collision shape used is the bhkBoxShape, though, since it's easier on the system. Then, like Ibsen said, he can copy/paste the whole selection of tree+collisions and make more trees. But at least once, he'd have to handplace the collisions around the form of the first mangrove tree's roots/trunk. The rest of the trees will be a piece of cake, though.

Koniption
Indeed....but even if not giant, they'd certainly be a welcome addition.
Pages: 1 2