Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: Considering Building a new modding PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lately my 5 year old desktop has been suffering from chronic crashes. It's an outdated machine that never ran Oblivion or Morrowind very well, and was incapable or running Fallout 3. Needless to say I'd really like to get back into modding, and give FO3 a whirl.

I think its time to build a new PC, but I'd like some feedback before I get started. These are the parts I'm looking at:

Sunbeam ATX Full-Tower Case
Seagate 750GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Cheap Ass Soundcard
Apevia ATX 700W PSU
OCZ Gold (3x2 GB) DDR3 Ram
AMD 3.0 GHz quad core Processor
MSI AM3 ATX Motherboard
Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Card

I'm curious what you all think about the parts I selected; and whether or not it is a good choice. I plan to salvage my disk drives from my old PC, as well as one of the fans for the case. I'm also thinking that I'll download the trial to Windows 7 and use it until expiration, since a cloned version of my 32-bit XP install won't recognize all of my Ram. Other than that I'd like to know if anybody notices any glaring incompatabilites between things I've selected or has had bad experiences with any of those particular parts in the past.

I'd also like to ask exactly how difficult is it to build a PC? Everyone I've heard from in the past says how it is a piece of cake, but they also just happen to be tech experts. The extent of my experience with the inside of a computer involves sticking in a stick of Ram and an Nvidia 6800 GT.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Hey old friend,

Hope you will back to us soon,or you will go to Fallout 3 only?

`Senten
Quote:Originally posted by Senten
Hey old friend,

`Senten
I don't really know; I need a breath of fresh air from ES, but knowing how Oblivion is, I imagine I'll spend some more time modding it again in the future.
Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried
Quote:Originally posted by Senten
Hey old friend,

`Senten
I don't really know; I need a breath of fresh air from ES, but knowing how Oblivion is, I imagine I'll spend some more time modding it again in the future.

I think you will be better in Oblivion,cause you know how to,so its a better place. And you know us,so we can help with anything.

But your choice,

`Senten
They say the next Elder Scrolls game will come out in late 2010, so if it had been me I would have gotten the best computer I could possibly afford just to be sure it could sustain me throughout TES5's lifespan. Then again I'm not the kind of person who likes to upgrade a computer (or knows how to, for that matter).

One thing I wouldn't pour money into would be a large harddrive, because I already have a 1Tb external harddrive. I kinda like that arrangement because I know my data is safe, or at least more safe, should my computer break down. Should I ever run out of space I can just buy another external harddrive.

One thing I want to throw money at next time around is my computer's cooling system. I'd like it to advanced enough that my case won't need holes, and I'd like it to be perfectly quiet. I don't know if that's within the realm of possibility, but it would be worth quite a bit to me to not have to worry about dust buildup and annoying humming.

I'm not familiar with the latest developments when it comes to computer memory but my personal hunch is there can't be enough of it. I would probably look into getting something like 8 gigabytes of RAM, but then again I don't plan to buy a computer until late next year and then I want it to be futuresafe for four or five years. Right now I would imagine 8gb would be excessive.
it looks good to me, though i prefer Nvidia Tongue maybe go with two SLI cards for added benefit, but i guess thats optional.

RW: liquid cooling is the way to go. it works better than a bunch of fans and is completely silent. ive ran it since 06 perfectly, the only fan i have is on my graphics card.

building a computer is essentially just selecting and pluging in parts. not all parts are compatible to other parts, so what sort of graphics card you can get depends on your motherboard (iirc). PC Gamer prints a yearly "PC builder's bible" that explains all the technology and how to put it together, a great piece of magazine, that.
Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried
... was incapable or running Fallout 3. Needless to say I'd really like to get back into modding, and give FO3 a whirl.

I'd also like to ask exactly how difficult is it to build a PC? Everyone I've heard from in the past says how it is a piece of cake, but they also just happen to be tech experts...

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Fallout 3 is a decent game. It's pretty much Oblivion, with a few major upgrades. It gets redundant, much like Oblivion. But still, nice to play occassionally.

And it's simple. I've been doing it for years, and I'm only 16. hahahaha.
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
RW: liquid cooling is the way to go. it works better than a bunch of fans and is completely silent. I've ran it since 06 perfectly, the only fan I have is on my graphics card.

That sounds like just what I'm after Smile So this kind of liquid cooling doesn't have any mechanical parts, right? If so I can understand that it's a more durable option. I think I have three fans, one on the graphics card and one on the motherboard and then a big fat one sitting at the top-back of the case. It might be because I have a rather large case, I'm not sure.

building a computer is essentially just selecting and pluging in parts. not all parts are compatible to other parts, so what sort of graphics card you can get depends on your motherboard (iirc). PC Gamer prints a yearly "PC builder's bible" that explains all the technology and how to put it together, a great piece of magazine, that.

I guess I've just never been too interested in what's inside a computer, plus I keep thinking that if I screw up then I'll loose a helluva lot of money. Nah, I'd rather let a professional put together my computers and then expect them to work for the 4-5 years I need them to work. I've nailed up the phone number to a computer wiz on the wall next to my comp should anything ever happen to my beloved old box. So far since October -05 it's been smooth sailing though, knock on wood. I didn't actually expect it to live this long, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately for me the company that sold it to me went bankrupt some six months ago so I can't make a repeat purchase with them, but I'm sure it'll work itself out.
Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
RW: liquid cooling is the way to go. it works better than a bunch of fans and is completely silent. I've ran it since 06 perfectly, the only fan I have is on my graphics card.

That sounds like just what I'm after Smile So this kind of liquid cooling doesn't have any mechanical parts, right? If so I can understand that it's a more durable option. I think I have three fans, one on the graphics card and one on the motherboard and then a big fat one sitting at the top-back of the case. It might be because I have a rather large case, I'm not sure.
the one i use is just a big round tower with some blue tubes out the end which then go into the computer. i looked it up and this appears to be my model. i didnt install it myself, but it looks simple enough. havent had any problems with it.
Oh!
And go with Nvidia. They're significantly better, in my experience.
Pages: 1 2