Silgrad Tower from the Ashes

Full Version: The "Redoran Dues" quest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I would try getting back to making quests, which I've always found entertaining. This quest, "Redoran Dues", is meant to be the second quest in the Redoran line and it follows right after the initial quest, i.e. the one about unclogging the drain below the throne hall.

The quest starts off intentionally boring, as House Cousin Rathan Semi (who gave you the unclogging quest) tasks you to collect dues from four Redorans in the city. This fetching quest works without a hitch until it's time to collect the last character's dues. He's gone missing. The player will find him near the crack in the bridge between Reich Parkeep, on the verge of committing suicide due to his severe financial situation.

Another Dunmer will try to talk him out of it, while an Imperial guard is almost trying to convince him to jump without being too obvious. The way I figured it is that first the Dunmer talks to the would-be jumper, then the Imperial guard talks to the would-be jumper, then the Dunmer and the Imperial guard bicker a little, and then finally the player has to talk to the jumper. Depending on the player's conversation choices the distraught man will either calm down or go ahead and jump. The quest can succeed either way, but if the guy jumps then the player will recieve a lesser reward and his path to promotion becomes longer.

I've finished the quest up until the point of the incident, which I think will prove a challenge for me to create. But there are a few Bethesda examples I can think of that might teach me how to orchestrate it.

I included a text document I wrote that explains how the quest is built up. I also included my current esp, but I should mention that I haven't playtested it yet. I just included it in case someone wants to check out what I did in the CS and maybe offer a comment about it.

Once it's finished I need to think up another quest that's given to players who fail talking the man out of jumping off the bridge, so that whether you win or lose this quest the player will have the same number of faction points for the next real quest - which will probably be the quest about the Velothi keep "The Ancient Gate" Smile
I ran a playtest from the beginning and, as previously reported by Seniosh, the starter quest is broken. Rathan Semi doesn't acknowledge that the throne hall has been emptied, so the quest can't be finished. The problem (as Seniosh also said) was that in the StRwRed01 quest, in the StRwRedoranDuties topic, in the response "I was actually in...", the GetStage condition was set to 50. After sandor helped me finish the quest the condition had to be 55 for the quest to end. I've added the bugfix to this plugin.

Now I'm off to do some research on how to set up the action on the bridge. Smile
I am looking forward to playtest this quest. Smile